NEWS

[SR4] Astral Hazing?

• 5 Replies

Twilight

• Newb
« on: <04-26-15/2316:33> »
After playing SR5 for a while, one group I'm in is moving back to SR4 (if nothing else, the rulebook for SR5 is laid out horribly making it hard to find rules)...

I was building up a few characters and noticed Astral Hazing in Runner's Companion.  It is not errata'd (as far as I can find, there is no official errata for Runner's Companion).  The writeup is contradictory - it says it is an aspected domain but gives -4 to magic - if it was aspected to the caster (as implied), it would give +4 to magic.  Really, this quality is broken however you look at it (-4 magic is worth a lot more than +15 while +4 would be worth a lot more than -15 and, as near as I can tell, this quality is a positive for mundanes (except when someone is trying to magically heal them)).

Thoughts?

SpellBinder

• Omae
« Reply #1 on: <04-27-15/2207:36> »
The game mechanics that are important:  "Whatever the ambient mana conditions are, the character always stands at the heart of a Rating 4 background count (see p. 117, Street Magic) that extends a number of meters from her body equal to her Essence; this background count also impairs her own actions if the character is Awakened."

While you might think that it's neat that those wards you're trying to sneak through are weakened by 4, mind that you will forever have a -4 to all Assensing tests, and any wards you try to create and spirits you try to summon are doubly impacted by your haze.  Assuming Magic & Essence 6 (typical starting magician) with Astral hazing, your effective Magic is really 2 and the maximum Force spirit you can summon is 4, which is then immediately Force 0 and gone; the same is applied to wards you try to create.  Any and all bonded foci you have are also equally weakened, so you're paying karma for 4 levels of power that you'll be hard pressed to use until you've initiated twice to learn the Cleansing & Filtering techniques, and that's assuming you've managed to get a hold of anything that's at least Force 5 and greater.  Your magical friends will also likely loath to be close by you, as they will also see a -4 to everything magical they have.  And don't forget that Adepts within your haze will lose at least 4 Power Points of abilities (accounting for lost discounts on selected Way powers).

And at GM discretion, if you're sitting around in one area for too long you'll start leaving your taint behind (from the "similar" cyberzombie rules, Augmentation 157-158, no choice, the aura will expand by 1 meter every 2 to 3 hours, which dissipates at a rate of 1 point per day).  You will leave behind an astral trail that will not be too difficult to follow (the Astral Chameleon quality will not improve this), and your home will be forever tainted (and the warding of your lodge forever reduced) unless Cleansing is an option.  You'll also likely lose some magical friends if you ever become infected with FAB III (Street Magic, 127), which will forever hang around you as a Force 4 plague if you cannot convince someone to cast a Sterilize or Cure Disease spell or you can actually beat it up in astral combat (if you cannot do any of these yourself).

Twilight

• Newb
« Reply #2 on: <04-27-15/2217:56> »
Yep.  That's what I figured - text is wrong and the mechanics are correct.  However, I'm not sure what they were thinking when they added this - no starting awakened would ever choose to take it and it's free points for a mundane - especially a heavily cybered character that won't be getting magical healing anyway - "oh no, I have a background 4 within 1/2 meter of me" - if I remember correctly, that would actually be a bonus as it will degrade negative spells cast at the character.

Novocrane

• Ace Runner
« Reply #3 on: <04-27-15/2245:09> »
it's free points for a mundane
It's particularly notable vs astral perceivers / dual natured anything, and usually means they actively dislike your presence.
« Last Edit: <04-27-15/2248:04> by Novocrane »

Glyph

• Ace Runner
« Reply #4 on: <04-28-15/0018:46> »
Yep.  That's what I figured - text is wrong and the mechanics are correct.  However, I'm not sure what they were thinking when they added this - no starting awakened would ever choose to take it and it's free points for a mundane - especially a heavily cybered character that won't be getting magical healing anyway - "oh no, I have a background 4 within 1/2 meter of me" - if I remember correctly, that would actually be a bonus as it will degrade negative spells cast at the character.
It is a negative quality for the same reason that In Debt or a permanent infusion of Sideways (Mysterious Implant) - they give you some benefits, but give you more hindrances, for a net negative quality (there are also positive qualities with downsides).

It helps a mundane against harmful magic, but also makes it harder to heal or buff him with friendly magic, makes him a big glowing neon beacon in the astral plane, makes working with him an annoyance for awakened characters, is likely to give a hefty negative modifier on social rolls against anyone who assenses him, and is likely to attract hostile attention from spirits and other astral or dual-natured entities. And while it may be a thin coating for a low-Essence character, it can spread pretty fast whenever the character stays somewhere for any length of time. How will friends or contacts feel if they have to do the astral equivalent of having their house defumigated any time the character stays over? You know how the armor spell is often a bad idea, because while it protects you against damage, it also attracts attention by making you glow? This is the astral equivalent of that conundrum.

The Wyrm Ouroboros

• Prime Runner
  • I Have Taken All Shadowrun To Be My Province
« Reply #5 on: <05-03-15/0300:03> »
I always view that as '-4 background count or the current background count - 4, whichever is worse' - so the character couldn't go into a -8 background count and 'improve' it to -4.
Pananagutan & End/Line

Old As McBean, Twice As Mean
"Oh, gee - it's Go-Frag-Yourself-O'Clock."
New Wyrm!! Now with Twice the Bastard!!

Laés is ... I forget. -PiXeL01
Play the game. Don't try to win it.