NEWS

Dice pool modifiers

• 5 Replies

spp

• Newb
« on: <01-23-11/1022:35> »
Do general dice pool modifiers effect everything (as opposed to specific dice pool modifiers like recoil) or are some things excluded.

For example, does negative dice pool modifiers from injury and sustained spells reduce dice pools used to resist damage. 

That's fairly specific.  Am I missing other corner cases?

Thanx in advance.

Sincerely, spp

Chaemera

• Omae
  • I may be a mouse, but I have a chainsaw.
« Reply #1 on: <01-23-11/1109:54> »
Do general dice pool modifiers effect everything (as opposed to specific dice pool modifiers like recoil) or are some things excluded.

Most tests will specify which "general" DP modifiers affect them. And, most DP modifiers will tell you what tests they affect.

For example, does negative dice pool modifiers from injury and sustained spells reduce dice pools used to resist damage. 

From the book:
Quote from:  SR4A, pg. 163
Wound modifiers are dice pool modifiers that apply to nearly all tests the injured character may attempt, except for resistance tests.
Emphasis mine.

Resistance tests are Damage Resistance, Drain Resistance, and Fading Resistance (I could always be missing one or two, so don't consider this an exhaustive list). These tests are unaffected by Wound Modifiers.

For sustaining:
Quote from:  SR4A, pg. 185
For each sustained spell the magician maintains, she suffers a -2 dice penalty on all other tests.
Emphasis mine.

So, according to that, Sustaining penalties apply to Damage Resistance and Drain Resistance tests.

Look at it going the other way now, here's the rules for Damage Resistance Tests and Drain Resistance Tests:

Quote from:  SR4A, pg 162
Note that wound modifiers (see p. 163) do not apply to damage resistance tests.

Quote from:  SR4A, pg. 184
Note that wound modifiers or sustained spells have no effect on the character's dice pool for Drain Resistance Tests.

So Damage Resistance Tests are subject to Sustained Spell modifiers, but Drain Resistance Tests are subject to neither. I'm sure plenty of GM's extend the Damage Resistance the same courtesy the RAW gives Drain Resistance. I know I do.

That's fairly specific.  Am I missing other corner cases?

Only one that comes to mind is Fading Resistance tests and penalties for maintaining Threads:

Fading is protected from Wound penalties due to the above quote regarding Resistance tests. The following quote could be twisted into immunizing the Techno from Sustaining Threads:
Quote from:  SR4A, pg. 243
In game terms, Fading is very similar to the Drain that magicians suffer for their magical activities.

A reasonable interpretation of that is that sustaining threads does not present a penalty to resisting Fading, if you make the analogy of sustaining threads == sustaining spells, resisting Fading == resisting Drain.

From the maintaining threads perspective:
Quote from:  SR4A, pg. 240
Sustaining requires effort on the technomancer's part, so he suffers a -2 dice pool modifier to all tests for each sustained complex form.

So, technically, Sustaining Threads imposes a penalty on Damage Resistance and to Fading Resistance Tests.

As a GM, I house-rule them all to be functionally the same: Damage Resistance, Drain Resistance and Fading Resistance are unaffected by Wound and/or Sustaining modifiers.
SR20A Limited Edition # 124
Obsidian Portal Profile: http://www.obsidianportal.com/profile/chaemera

FastJack

• Administrator
  • Prime Runner
  • Kids these days...
« Reply #2 on: <01-23-11/1117:57> »
The only thing I'd leave on the question is does Wound Modifiers apply to the Resistance test made by targets of spells. I'm leaning towards "yes", but the generic "resistance tests" from the book (quoted above) makes me wonder since it is a resistance test...

Bradd

• Omae
« Reply #3 on: <01-23-11/1838:32> »
Spell resistance is a damage resistance test of sorts, and they're quite difficult already (without counterspelling), so I think it's fine to exempt them from wound modifiers.

Kontact

• Prime Runner
  • You called?
« Reply #4 on: <01-24-11/0540:00> »
There is an argument that Spell resistance is more akin to dodging than soaking, but I say that since it says resistance on the tin, it's protected from wounds and such.

Bradd

• Omae
« Reply #5 on: <01-24-11/0547:14> »
True, it is like dodging in a lot of ways. However, it uses Body & Willpower, which are totally the resistance stats. ;)