NEWS

Invisibilty and Increased initiative

• 7 Replies

spp

• Newb
« on: <01-22-11/2154:49> »
I don't know if I got the spell name of the 2nd one right, but in both cases it seems the F of the spell doesn't matter.  Invisibility seems to be an all or nothing spell, and Increased Initiative seems to be dependant on net hits.  is this correct?

Thanks for the help.

Sincerely, spp.

Qemuel

• Chummer
« Reply #1 on: <01-22-11/2218:12> »
p. 182, SR4A

"A spell's Force limits the number of hits (not net hits) that can be achieved on the Spellcasting Test...."

So Force does matter as you cannot get more hits than the Force you cast the spell.

Chaemera

• Omae
  • I may be a mouse, but I have a chainsaw.
« Reply #2 on: <01-22-11/2241:07> »
I'll second what Qemuel said, you can't get the 4 hits on Increase Reflexes necessary for the +3/+3 without casting at Force 4+.

Same goes for Improved Invisibility, you cast it at Force 1 to save on Drain costs and roll five 5s and 6s on your Spellcasting Test, you only get 1 hit. Then, security guard only needs 1 hit on his Resistance Test for the invisibility to be ineffective.

Additionally, something to never, ever, forget... Force is added to your dice pool when someone tries to dispel your sustained spell. Same goes for passing unwittingly through mana barriers. See pages 185 and 194 for the rules.

So, the short story is, it doesn't matter how little effect Force appears to have, it is something to never skimp on for your important spells.
SR20A Limited Edition # 124
Obsidian Portal Profile: http://www.obsidianportal.com/profile/chaemera

KarmaInferno

• Ace Runner
  • Armor Stacking Cheese Monkey
« Reply #3 on: <01-23-11/0053:41> »
Also remember that sometimes you have to overcome Object Resistance, especially for Illusions.

Improved Invisibility at Force 1 for example would be useless against sensors.

-k

Chaemera

• Omae
  • I may be a mouse, but I have a chainsaw.
« Reply #4 on: <01-23-11/0055:28> »
Also remember that sometimes you have to overcome Object Resistance, especially for Illusions.

Improved Invisibility at Force 1 for example would be useless against sensors.
-k

I figured that was implied by saying that force caps hits, but yeah, worth specifically stating it.
SR20A Limited Edition # 124
Obsidian Portal Profile: http://www.obsidianportal.com/profile/chaemera

KarmaInferno

• Ace Runner
  • Armor Stacking Cheese Monkey
« Reply #5 on: <01-23-11/0101:54> »
Yeah, I just wanted to throw that in because OR for a lot of devices is 4 or 5, meaning you have to cast at Force 4 or 5 MINIMUM to even hope to affect them.

On the plus side devices don't get to resist. Beat the OR, and it's just affected.

-k

spp

• Newb
« Reply #6 on: <01-23-11/1005:43> »
Thanks for the help.  that helps alot!

Sincerely, spp.

Dahrken

• Newb
« Reply #7 on: <01-24-11/0738:38> »
You can cheat a bit around that by using Edge as hits on Edge dices are *not* limited by the spell's Force. But you need an high Edge to make such a tactic usable.