NEWS

Heal spell

• 7 Replies

spp

• Newb
« on: <01-22-11/2142:39> »
Hi all, new to the forums.  I look forward to any  help I can get, but I will limit my posts to one post, one topic.  So here we go.

The heal spell Drain is DV - 2 where DV is the damage value. (Correct?)

So if 1 of my fellow shadowrunners has taken 9 Damage I would resist 7 drain, but would only heal hits rolled. (correct?)

I would then have to maintain the spell for 2 x DV rounds for the effect to become permanent.
Would this be like sustaining a spell where I would have a -2 pool modifier?

I read the section on spells a couple of times, but I am confused.  Hope you can help.

Sincerely spp.

Chaemera

• Omae
  • I may be a mouse, but I have a chainsaw.
« Reply #1 on: <01-22-11/2203:04> »
Given the wording of the spell, I have always treated it as the damage you heal (that is, the hits you roll) is the Damage Value in the Drain calculations.

There's no real specifics to say one way or the other is the RAW, but it seems like using "total damage on the character healed" would make Heal far less viable.

If you wanted to make it match first aid (pg. 252 of SR4A), it would be calculated based on how much you're "attempting to heal", which clearly suggests you could declare that you're trying to heal 5 of 9 wounds. Or, you could roll, the amount healed then sets the duration as the "attempting to heal" value, since you could be interrupted.
SR20A Limited Edition # 124
Obsidian Portal Profile: http://www.obsidianportal.com/profile/chaemera

Tagz

• Omae
« Reply #2 on: <01-23-11/1619:33> »
I'm with Chaemera here, using the actual amount healed (the hits the caster scored) to calculate the drain.  If you couldn't then you could end up hurting yourself more then you healed your target for if you failed to roll any hits (and didn't glitch).  To me that shouldn't happen outside of a glitch.

In a world where a caster can on the fly control the amount of power of a spell (select the Force) it just doesn't make sense that the same caster could not choose to limit the Force on a healing spell.

So for me and my games, you cast a Heal Spell with a Force, that Force caps the hits you can get thus also capping the amount of healing possible and the amount drain the caster can take.

spp

• Newb
« Reply #3 on: <01-23-11/1706:17> »
Do you keep the -2 on the DV (Drain Value)?

Thanx,

Sincerely, spp.

Chaemera

• Omae
  • I may be a mouse, but I have a chainsaw.
« Reply #4 on: <01-23-11/2321:42> »
Do you keep the -2 on the DV (Drain Value)?

Thanx,

Sincerely, spp.

Yup, (Damage Healed) - 2, is how I interpret the drain value.
SR20A Limited Edition # 124
Obsidian Portal Profile: http://www.obsidianportal.com/profile/chaemera

Dahrken

• Newb
« Reply #5 on: <01-24-11/0735:51> »
I would then have to maintain the spell for 2 x DV rounds for the effect to become permanent.
Would this be like sustaining a spell where I would have a -2 pool modifier?
Yes, you cast the spell, sustain it for some time (with the associated penalties) and them drop it (and getting rid of the -2).

spp

• Newb
« Reply #6 on: <01-24-11/0911:40> »
Would you need to drop it or would it automatically be over when it becomes permanent?

Thanx again

Sincerely, spp.

Walks Through Walls

• Ace Runner
« Reply #7 on: <01-24-11/0956:23> »
It is automatically over when it becomes permanent
"Walking through walls isn't tough..... if you know where the doors are."
"It's not being seen that is the trick."

Walks Through Walls