NEWS

Underbarrel Weapons and Powered Slide Mounts

• 37 Replies

Crash_00

« on: <08-06-11/0055:28> »
Are there any specific rules for making underbarrel weapons attached via powered slide mounts in Missions. In arsenal, it states that its up to the GM, but I didn't know if its allowed or disallowed anywhere.

I have a player wanting to have an assault rifle with exchangeable underbarrel weapons to swap out based on needs: shotgun, sniper rifle, grenade launcher, flamethrower (eventually), ect. Personally I'd allow it, but its for a missions character so I wanted to find out before he runs into a I went to a con and my character isn't valid situation.

Brasson

• Newb
« Reply #1 on: <11-09-11/1633:25> »
Did you say an underbarrel sniper rifle?   :-\

Bull

• Ace Runner
  • Crotchety Old Ork Decker
« Reply #2 on: <11-09-11/1701:38> »
*blink*  Errr.  Sniper Rifle? 

Oi vey. 

ANyway, I'll have to look those rules over, as I'm not familiar with them.  Quick n' Dirty answer without perusing is that anytime it says "GMs Call", assume no, though since it's not covered in the FAQ (and it's not clearly marked as Optional), it really is up to individual GMs.  So you can say yes if you want, but the player should note this is a GM call and if he plays with other GMs, he should bring it up and ask their permission.

(I need to make that a blanket rule, actually, just so it's clearer)

Bull

KarmaInferno

• Ace Runner
  • Armor Stacking Cheese Monkey
« Reply #3 on: <11-09-11/2206:29> »
Arsenal does comment that the underbarrel weapon should be smaller than the weapon it is being attached to, doesn't it?

Which isn't entire accurate to real life, after all there's the underbarrel Masterkey shotgun that, before being modded for underbarrel use, is a regular shotgun not much different in size than most rifles that it would be mounted under.

-k

Crash_00

« Reply #4 on: <11-10-11/0025:02> »
It actually says that it can't be larger than the original weapon. Which helps for the obvious no undbarrel panther's or vindicators, doesn't do a lot for those ranges that are closer. The Barrett is anywhere from 48 to 57 inches depending on which variant you have (real life 82A1) so obviously attaching it to an M-16 style weapon (39ish inches) wouldn't work, but if you take the stock off of a Druganov SVDS its only about 32 inches. Obviously realistically there is much much more to consider, but that's why I was asking.

In the end they went with a short barreled BR for their armor penetration weapon.

Dr. Meatgrinder

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Omae
  • CDT Field Agent (#483)
« Reply #5 on: <11-10-11/0543:33> »

This is the point at which I have to ask:  Isn't the other weapon the mount?
Guiding principle for game balance:  Players avoid underpowered stuff and flock to overpowered stuff.
Missions Freelancer (SRM 04-10 Romero & Juliette, SRM 05-01 Chasin' the Wind, SRM 06-06 Falling Angels, PM-02 A Holy Piece of Wetwork)

Mirikon

• Prime Runner
  • "Everybody lies." --House
« Reply #6 on: <11-10-11/1726:53> »

This is the point at which I have to ask:  Isn't the other weapon the mount?
Not if the other weapon is an Assault Cannon...
Greataxe - Apply directly to source of problem, repeat as needed.

My Characters

Wasabi

• Newb
« Reply #7 on: <11-10-11/1927:39> »
There is a reduced barrel mod that sounds very appropo for underbarrel weapons. :-)
Missions Characters:
[SR4] Jax - Merc Technomancer
[SR5] Reece - Journalist TM

Crash_00

« Reply #8 on: <11-11-11/0200:33> »
Or for munchier results just add the Barrel extension to the main weapon to make it "larger".  ;D

Hmmm...now I must design a FA modified Extended Battle Rifle with and underbarrell reduced Barrett. *cue sadistic laughter*

For full blown comic relief there is always the PJSS Elephant Rifle with and underbarrel...wait for it...that's right PJSS Elephant Rifle. Four Barrels of pure fun. Of course the last barrel is just for show since the underbarrel version can only hold one round (despite keeping both barrels) and I can't seem to find any way to extend the capacity of a break action rifle (for obvious reasons of course).

KarmaInferno

• Ace Runner
  • Armor Stacking Cheese Monkey
« Reply #9 on: <11-11-11/0934:29> »
Why not just mod a Barrett for BF/FA?

Usually you put an underbarrel weapon to get functionality that is not already present in the parent weapon. Like grenade launcher or a door-breaching shotgun under a regular rifle. Having a ballistic weapon under another ballistic weapon seems like a waste.

I for one have done a machinegun underbarrel of a assault cannon, though.

-k

Crash_00

« Reply #10 on: <11-11-11/1720:55> »
Honestly, the edge test for sniper rifles. Most GMs I know would rule that long bursts and full bursts (if not including short bursts as well) are not a sniping situation. It was really more of a joke because the entire getup would look like a very long double barreled sniper rifle of doom. I can see the SR on an AR though, especially if the AR is mostly used for suppression or full-auto work and the SR is used as an AAT* weapon.

*Anti-Armored Troll

Xzylvador

• Prime Runner
  • Ask me about NERPS! 30% Sales!
« Reply #11 on: <11-11-11/1906:50> »
Strange thing here is then that you could walk around with the sniper rifle without penalty or risk of damage, as long as its an underbarrel weapon to a larger gun?
I dont see how saying "No, I'm not firing the sniper rifle! It is getting swung left and right and heavily shaken when I burst fire my battle rifle, but I'm not -using- it so it's okay!" would make it okay. Not a sniper situation and even if you're not using the rifle because it's underbarrel mounted, it's still part of the weapon you're using.
Then again, I would allow the melee hardening mod or firing selection change to allow sniper rifles to be used just like any other gun. Never been a fan of that edge rule in the first place.

Crash_00

« Reply #12 on: <11-11-11/2304:19> »
I'm not really a fan of it either, it really should have only been there "when using the imaging system" in my opinion and by 2070 that imaging system shouldn't really be the huge whopper of a scope you see on most modern SRs. The wording makes the test only happen when the rifle is used (I don't count carrying or holding it as using it). You could try to incorporate the whole weapon into the term rifle (even though the SR is clearly the subject being talked about) but that argument falls apart as soon as you strap it under the barrel of any non-rifle weapon.

Zilfer

• Ace Runner
« Reply #13 on: <11-14-11/1753:39> »
Honestly, the edge test for sniper rifles. Most GMs I know would rule that long bursts and full bursts (if not including short bursts as well) are not a sniping situation. It was really more of a joke because the entire getup would look like a very long double barreled sniper rifle of doom. I can see the SR on an AR though, especially if the AR is mostly used for suppression or full-auto work and the SR is used as an AAT* weapon.

*Anti-Armored Troll

I must have missed this edge test for snipping.... o.O  where is this?
Having access to Ares Technology isn't so bad, being in a room that's connected to the 'trix with holographic display throughout the whole room isn't bad either. Food, drinks whenever you want it. Over all not bad, but being unable to leave and with a Female Dragon? No Thanks! ~The Captive Man

Xzylvador

• Prime Runner
  • Ask me about NERPS! 30% Sales!
« Reply #14 on: <11-14-11/1800:29> »
SR4A p319: Under the Sniper Rifles section:
At the end of every Turn in which the rifle is used in a running firefight (as opposed to a sniping situation), roll an Edge Test. For every Edge Test failed, the weapon incurs a –1 dice pool modifier until it is recalibrated with an Armorer + Logic (8, 1 Minute) Extended Test. The modifier is doubled if the weapon is used in combat as a melee weapon or to defend from a melee attack.

The Walther MA-2100 is the only sniper rifle which mentions it doesn't suffer from this kind of degradation.