NEWS

Will Nanopaste trodes come back ?

• 29 Replies

RHat

• Prime Runner
« Reply #15 on: <08-21-13/1617:45> »
They could always bring the hammer down and make entirely new nanotech with stricter code and even Black IC to fry any curious Deckers or AIs.

If this is a Dissonant thing, that's not gonna do the job.
"Speech"
Thoughts
Matrix <<Text>> "Speech"
Spirits and Sprites

Unahim

• Omae
« Reply #16 on: <08-21-13/1924:54> »
Wouldn't exactly make it "cheap" either, which is the big selling point (or was) for nano.

calaen

• Newb
« Reply #17 on: <08-21-13/2047:53> »
You know... this did pretty effectively squash desktop manufacturing... and that was one genie the corps would have loved to see back in the bottle.  I really don't see them 'fixing' nanotech and letting the genie back out again - and as to dissonant... well, I seem to recall the last time the technomancers did something big with dissonance, they tried to decommission a certain very old, extremely skilled Decker, and the Sybil virus has hit that decker pretty hard.

On the other hand, I suspect this has quite a lot to do with AIs that want a flesh and blood body; if an AI has the resources, cloning'd be the way to go, but not all AI have that far of a reach... and a clone has no real connections.  It also takes time to properly develop a clone - fast growing results in mental disabilities AKA defective hardware, and  I suspect this is all about hijacking some wetware on the AI's parts.
« Last Edit: <08-21-13/2052:09> by calaen »

firebug

• Errata Coordinator
  • Prime Runner
  • Scraping the bottom of the Resonance Barrel
« Reply #18 on: <08-21-13/2223:17> »
Could anyone be kind enough to tell me what is known about whatever Sybil is, when this sudden thing happened with nanotech, and what happened to FastJack?  I heard about it vaguely a few times (like the SR5 book even pointing out that he has "stepped down" from being the admin of JackPoint) but it seems interesting.  If it's like, spoilerific or something just PM me I guess.  x:
I'm Madpath Moth on reddit (and other sites).  Feel free to PM me errata questions!
Jeeze.  It would almost sound stupid until you realize we're talking about an immortal elf clown sword fighting a dragon ghost in a mall.

Crunch

• Ace Runner
« Reply #19 on: <08-21-13/2224:21> »
There's a thread over in the Secret History section on the Sybil virus, and a few things over at the SR Uni sight.

RHat

• Prime Runner
« Reply #20 on: <08-21-13/2225:02> »
Could anyone be kind enough to tell me what is known about whatever Sybil is, when this sudden thing happened with nanotech, and what happened to FastJack?  I heard about it vaguely a few times (like the SR5 book even pointing out that he has "stepped down" from being the admin of JackPoint) but it seems interesting.  If it's like, spoilerific or something just PM me I guess.  x:

Storm Front.  You should read it.
"Speech"
Thoughts
Matrix <<Text>> "Speech"
Spirits and Sprites

firebug

• Errata Coordinator
  • Prime Runner
  • Scraping the bottom of the Resonance Barrel
« Reply #21 on: <08-21-13/2236:24> »

Novel, I'm guessing?  I always forget the roleplaying games I play have novels...  Which sucks because they tend to be really good and relevant to the world-plot.
I'm Madpath Moth on reddit (and other sites).  Feel free to PM me errata questions!
Jeeze.  It would almost sound stupid until you realize we're talking about an immortal elf clown sword fighting a dragon ghost in a mall.

RHat

• Prime Runner
« Reply #22 on: <08-21-13/2240:13> »

Novel, I'm guessing?  I always forget the roleplaying games I play have novels...  Which sucks because they tend to be really good and relevant to the world-plot.

Nah, SR4's wrap-up sourcebook.
"Speech"
Thoughts
Matrix <<Text>> "Speech"
Spirits and Sprites

Michael Chandra

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Prime Runner
  • Question-slicing ninja
« Reply #23 on: <08-22-13/0517:23> »
Storm Front is the System Failure of SR4, it wraps up its plotlines and introduces a few new ones. Sybil is a new one, which has been hinted at in many books already.

The short summary is simple: A Nanotech virus is causing SOMETHING to become aware and start taking over people. Could be programs, could be Crash Victims coming to life again, could be a failed experiment. Celedyr seems to have screwed up, the Mars Colony has been taken over and some very high people are fighting their second personality while trying to figure out what's going on.

Also: http://www.shadowrun.com/2070/2013/08/09/going-macro-life-without-nanotech/
And a forum debate: http://forums.shadowruntabletop.com/index.php?topic=11017
How am I not part of the forum?? O_O I am both active and angry!

Xzylvador

• Prime Runner
  • Ask me about NERPS! 30% Sales!
« Reply #24 on: <08-22-13/0724:01> »
What book(s) have the story on this?
I was completely unaware of anything even being wrong with nanotech, only knew that FastJack was acting kinda weird, which I assume from this thread is related.

Michael Chandra

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Prime Runner
  • Question-slicing ninja
« Reply #25 on: <08-22-13/0727:09> »
Storm Front has the big explanation on what's going on. Splintered State, an adventure book, will feature Evan Dietrich, mentioned in both Storm Front and SRM04-11: Election Day. He appears to be suffering from Sybil as well. Stolen Souls is a Deep Shadows sourcebook that contains info on the Sybil virus. To quote from here:
Stolen Souls (Deep Shadows)
Those were among FastJack’s parting words to JackPoint when he left, the victim of a condition that divided his mind against itself. He’s not the only one that has been so afflicted. Miles Lanier, formerly of NeoNET, has the same condition. And across the Sixth World, people’s minds are in schism, as new personalities emerge at unpredictable times.

This has thrown the world into chaos, and there is a sudden demand for new extractions. Infected people need to be forcibly removed from their positions. People who might understand something about what’s happening need to be removed so they can tell what they know. And people covering secrets need to be removed so that they, and their secrets, can be buried somewhere out of reach.
How am I not part of the forum?? O_O I am both active and angry!

KarmaInferno

• Ace Runner
  • Armor Stacking Cheese Monkey
« Reply #26 on: <08-22-13/1426:49> »
Huh. My SR4 Missions rigger was a pixie with a back story of being an escaped experiment from Evo, and tended to use Evo products because she's very familier with the interfaces, and rode around in a modified Evo anthrofrom drone that probably was seething with nanotech...

ohgod.

-k

CanRay

• Freelancer
  • Mr. Johnson
  • Spouter of Random Words
« Reply #27 on: <08-22-13/1558:37> »
Huh. My SR4 Missions rigger was a pixie with a back story of being an escaped experiment from Evo, and tended to use Evo products because she's very familier with the interfaces, and rode around in a modified Evo anthrofrom drone that probably was seething with nanotech...

ohgod.

-k
I'm sure her magic protects her.  That said, the rest of the Anthroform...  *Evil GM Grin*  So, how much food and water does she have stocked up in it?
Si vis pacem, para bellum

#ThisTaserGoesTo11

grid_roamer

« Reply #28 on: <08-23-13/0549:57> »
How far back was Naontech introduced? 
I suspect the original SR. And it was problem plagued then too....

Crunch

• Ace Runner
« Reply #29 on: <08-23-13/0910:18> »
Nano is more recent I believe. SR1s problematic tech revolution was bioware (which at the time used Body Index rather than Essence and had a host of wierdness.)