NEWS

A question from a new GM regarding SR4 to SR5

• 32 Replies

Walks Through Walls

• Ace Runner
« Reply #15 on: <05-02-13/2016:35> »
With the elimination of Initiative Passes and the addition of limits including for gear while the names and such of gear won't change how it works rule wise will be different in 5th edition.
"Walking through walls isn't tough..... if you know where the doors are."
"It's not being seen that is the trick."

Walks Through Walls

RHat

• Prime Runner
« Reply #16 on: <05-02-13/2121:51> »
Passes aren't being eliminated, but the method by which they're gained is altered.
"Speech"
Thoughts
Matrix <<Text>> "Speech"
Spirits and Sprites

Carmody

• Errata Team
  • Ace Runner
« Reply #17 on: <05-03-13/0433:03> »
The main issue with firearms would be the new Accuracy system, though. But vehicles should be fine, aside from hopefully a better vehicle-movement system.

I do not think that will be a big issue, the SR5 core rule book guns shall provide a good idea to extrapolate the accuracy of other guns... And if it turns wrong when new material is available it will be time to fix your values. You just have to make sure your players are aware that such a change can occur. Furthermore, if their guns turns out to be worst than expected, bying a new one is no big deal because guns are quite cheap.
My profile picture is a crop of Alfredo Lopez Jr  Mickey/Wolverine.

Michael Chandra

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Prime Runner
  • Question-slicing ninja
« Reply #18 on: <05-03-13/0511:24> »
Does anyone know exactly how the new recoil will work? I read something about it stacking until you stop firing for a bit.
How am I not part of the forum?? O_O I am both active and angry!

RHat

• Prime Runner
« Reply #19 on: <05-03-13/0557:01> »
Does anyone know exactly how the new recoil will work? I read something about it stacking until you stop firing for a bit.

Anyone who knows exactly how anything will work isn't allowed to say.
"Speech"
Thoughts
Matrix <<Text>> "Speech"
Spirits and Sprites

Michael Chandra

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Prime Runner
  • Question-slicing ninja
« Reply #20 on: <05-03-13/0558:24> »
I was more hoping for someone who also was at the initial introduction at PAX East. :) The poster who was there mentioned recoil stacking but no details as to what resets it (a simple action is probably enough though).

RHat

• Prime Runner
« Reply #21 on: <05-03-13/0559:41> »
I was more hoping for someone who also was at the initial introduction at PAX East. :) The poster who was there mentioned recoil stacking but no details as to what resets it (a simple action is probably enough though).

Which is more of a "some of how it might work" than "exactly how it will work".  For example, just because all Accuracy at that event was 4 doesn't mean we should be assuming this to actually be the case.
"Speech"
Thoughts
Matrix <<Text>> "Speech"
Spirits and Sprites

Michael Chandra

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Prime Runner
  • Question-slicing ninja
« Reply #22 on: <05-03-13/0601:42> »
I got that part. -_- But they also explained it was just 4 for the event. Just like they gave an explanation on recoil. So the comparison is flawed.

RHat

• Prime Runner
« Reply #23 on: <05-03-13/0603:35> »
It isn't, actually - we have no basis to judge just how many things were set in a specific way for that event versus what was intended to be the finished product, any more than we have a basis to consider what might have changed since then.
"Speech"
Thoughts
Matrix <<Text>> "Speech"
Spirits and Sprites

Michael Chandra

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Prime Runner
  • Question-slicing ninja
« Reply #24 on: <05-03-13/0609:05> »
You're comparing a rule explanation to something they explained was a temporary setting that wouldn't be there in the final product, though. The first is a indication of how things likely will be in the finished product. The second is clearly noted as not resembling the finished product in any way. So the comparison is flawed.

Also, following your line of thought I'd have to scratch my 5e-houserules-for-4e until 5e is released. No intent of doing that. But since I won't get any more info on this one, I'll have to stick to 4e recoil instead for the entire campaign. Can't really go and introduce more limiting recoil rules after the campaign already started, so if I can't get a better indication of how things are likely to work, I'll just have to leave it out altogether.

RHat

• Prime Runner
« Reply #25 on: <05-03-13/0612:09> »
You have to, at the very least, acknowledge that your houserules are going to contain some notable inaccuracies, either due to not covering an element or covering one but doing so in a manner different to the way it actually winds up being in 5e.

However, it certainly is unfortunate that people who were there weren't all that forthcoming with further information when asked.
« Last Edit: <05-03-13/0613:47> by RHat »
"Speech"
Thoughts
Matrix <<Text>> "Speech"
Spirits and Sprites

Michael Chandra

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Prime Runner
  • Question-slicing ninja
« Reply #26 on: <05-03-13/0615:40> »
"You have to, at the very least, acknowledge that your houserules are going to contain some notable inaccuracies."

I went through the entire 3e corebook trying to houserule as fair a fit for Initiative as I can muster for Astral and Matrix, including trying to figure out how the hell to implement an offline action for someone in the Matrix. Trust me when I say I know my system will contain even more inaccuracies than your comparison. That's why I was asking for more intel on recoil in the first place.

RHat

• Prime Runner
« Reply #27 on: <05-03-13/0619:59> »
For what it's worth, the precise verbiage was something along the lines of "recoil stacks for as long as you hold the trigger down".  This would not seem to extend to semi-auto or short burst fire, and possible refers specifically to fully automatic firing, long bursts potentially included.

Additionally, I'm not sure if you're aware of the change to defense being Reaction + Intuition; it is unclear whether melee was any different on this front.  I'd be curious to know how you're calculating PMS-Limits, as well.

And the comparison is plenty accurate - just because the Accuracy bit is specifically called out as not reflecting the final product does not mean it is the only such element; an explicit declaration is not required for each one.
« Last Edit: <05-03-13/0622:11> by RHat »
"Speech"
Thoughts
Matrix <<Text>> "Speech"
Spirits and Sprites

Michael Chandra

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Prime Runner
  • Question-slicing ninja
« Reply #28 on: <05-03-13/0631:37> »
We'll have to agree to disagree on your comparison because you'll never convince me you did not pick the one rule that makes very little sense in comparison. Now if you'd grabbed Initiative, or Defense, or PMS limits, I'd have agreed with the stance that nothing's final. But the one thing that was just an event-stop-gap is just plain silly as far as I'm concerned.

And yes, I'm aware of the defense-change. The poster said Rea+Int was for both ranged and melee, I got a houserule on that including the melee skills and the bonus added by full defense. As for limits, I don't have those since I have zero intel on them. Keeping track of a different initiative score and a different dodge-system is already enough of a task when the printed characters need manual adjustment, with future prospect of a higher-than-six character improvement system but unfortunately without a recoil rule, because it's unfair to introduce that after chargen when they already bought weapons based on the 4e recoil rules.

RHat

• Prime Runner
« Reply #29 on: <05-03-13/0650:42> »
I have a suspicion that either the recoil change is for the uncompensated variety or that there will be different classes of compensators - those that apply once to a set of recoil, and those that apply to each burst seperately.  Mind you, the actual function of recoil could even change, becoming an Accuracy reducer instead.

As for melee, to my recollection, the poster was unsure on the specifics, especially as to whether melee skill was still involved.
"Speech"
Thoughts
Matrix <<Text>> "Speech"
Spirits and Sprites