NEWS

Shadowrun Dice Roller app is out

• 4 Replies

Michael Chandra

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Prime Runner
  • Question-slicing ninja
« on: <12-21-19/0350:43> »
Just got the mail, the official Shadowrun Dice Roller app is out. I helped playtest it, so I know it's real nice. Unfortunately it's currently not available in my country, so I can't get the Android version yet for my phone. =/

There's 1 base die and a few wallpapers available initially, and 6 sets of die+wallpaper that cost 1,99 each. 9,99 if you want to buy all six together. The app is ad-free, so yay for that!

You can roll dice individually, or program in rolls (e.g. 8 Street Sam dice and 6 Adept dice combined), use one of them, and then throw extra dice manually if needed by tapping the icon for the die-type. And after that you can press Clear or Reroll, which is a nice way to repeat a roll a lot. Every mook has 8 offense and 8 defense dice? Say no more!

You can configure the brightness of the wallpaper (I suggest darker for most, if you want to see the dice well, but you can just play around with it), as well as the roll speed of the dice. So you can either make it slow and really nice to look at, or just make it roll real fast and just look at the tally at the top, rather than looking at the individual dice. It's even usable for initiative tracking: Tally lists dice, hits, ones, total.

Each of the 7 dice has its own success- and 1- animation. They also have unique sound effects, so a Shaman die will make a triumphant eagle sound, while with a Street Samurai die the top is cut off with an audible katana swing. Also, a critical glitch really drives the point home with both its animation and its sound effect. O_O

The one thing I do still miss, is the ability to make an exploding roll, or rerolling of failures, kind of hoping they will add those in the future. (Adding individual dice does let you do exploding manually.) But already it's in the top of useful diceroller apps I've seen for Shadowrun, and by far the most gorgeous one!

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.fireopal.srdiceroller&hl=en_US&__s=sqakip6pyppbm6qckuqq
https://apps.apple.com/us/app/shadowrun-dice-roller/id1480616137?__s=sqakip6pyppbm6qckuqq
How am I not part of the forum?? O_O I am both active and angry!

Redwulfe

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Omae
« Reply #1 on: <12-21-19/1347:00> »
Coudn't tell from the video but how well does it handle re-rolls. Can you select specific dice to re-roll or to exclude from a re-roll?
There are 10 kinds of people in this world, those who understand binary and those who don't

Red

*Play-by-Post color guide*
Thinking
com
speaking

Possessed

• Newb
« Reply #2 on: <12-21-19/1405:19> »
Anyone know if this going to be enabled for Europe/Scandinavia?

AJCarrington

• Global Moderator
  • Ace Runner
« Reply #3 on: <12-22-19/0820:42> »
I downloaded, saw the micro transactions and removed...this is a real pet peeve of mine these days. For those looking for a basic dice roller, I think this will do just fine, though I hope they expand the app to include the various elements unique to Shadowrun (exploding dice and Edge in particular).

Michael Chandra

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Prime Runner
  • Question-slicing ninja
« Reply #4 on: <12-22-19/0932:12> »
The reroll-shortcut is basically full-reroll. If you're going to reroll specific dice, you could manually roll extra dice and (if rerolling 1s or hits) correct the tally in your head. :-\

As for the micro-transactions, the default dice-type is there for free, you don't get spammed by ads all the time and you can even configure it in settings to not show dice you haven't bought yet, so it doesn't feel like the app is rubbing it in your face.

As for Europe/Scandinavia, I have no idea. =< Currently I can't use on Android as a result. Hope they change that soon.
How am I not part of the forum?? O_O I am both active and angry!