NEWS

Online Validity

• 6 Replies

Kat9

« on: <01-06-12/1123:28> »
Okay, so I think the missions thing is a neat idea. You make a character, can go to another group that is running missions and slide right in. What I was wondering is, say for example I get lucky enough to find a GM that runs VoIP using a virtual table. The GM starts running missions and then I go to a con. Would my "paperwork" be as valid as if I just played in cons?

How important is the paperwork anyhow?

I've yet to get through playing "On the Run" much less play missions but I sort of wanted to have all my ducks in a row in case something comes up.

Tsuzua

• Omae
« Reply #1 on: <01-06-12/1141:31> »
Non-convention play is totally cool.  My group did SRM02 and is currently going though SRM03 mainly online along with play at Origins.

The big things are basically keep GM approval type stuff to as little as possible and stay within your season until you're ready to transfer (i.e. don't jump around seasons).  There are CMP (Convention Mission Packs) that are season agnostic so you can play your Season 2 character in them just fine.  I suggest following the restrictions in the SRM04 FAQ.  I'll also follow the less obvious restrictions to possession, mental magics, item creation, and piracy.

I've never ever seen anyone ask for paperwork.  If you have something completely off-the-wall like a cyberzombie or an ally spirit with Essence Drain, you might be asked about it then.  Missions is very much an honor system.  Bull will never find out what you did, but you'll know. 
« Last Edit: <01-06-12/1336:40> by Tsuzua »

squee_nabob

• Chummer
« Reply #2 on: <01-06-12/1241:35> »
I play with Tsuzua, and I’m on the high end of paperwork, I actually print out all of the logs and keep them in a 3 ring binder with my contact cards. OTOH when I was at Origins, no one ever looked at it except if we were waiting for more players for the table. Generally the policy I’ve heard is:

The effort it would take to catch cheaters isn’t worth the burden to players who just want to have fun.

That said, you should keep your own paperwork (karma, nuyen, which missions you’ve played) sorted out somehow.

Bull

• Ace Runner
  • Crotchety Old Ork Decker
« Reply #3 on: <01-06-12/1243:21> »
Pretty much what Tsuzua said.

the paperwork stuff (Primarily your calendar and your debriefing logs) are simply a way to track things.  Some GMs might ask to verify your characters, but most are willing to trust you, provided you don't pull out something crazy or blatantly against the rules. :)  We're here to have fun, after all, not police the players.

if you're wanting to go to a Con, when you fill out the DB log, simply note that it was an online game.  Or forge the GMs signature.  While we do keep an exhaustive database of all the Shadowrun Gms and samples of their signatures and handwriting to compare for forgeries, the Missions Game Police are a little understaffed at the moment, so you'll probably get away with it ;)

Just please, be honest and don't cheat.  :)

Bull

Kat9

« Reply #4 on: <01-06-12/1332:51> »
HA! I have to be able to play before I can even think of cheating. Besides you learn pretty early on in gaming if you cheat you only cheat yourself.

And Bull, check your darned PMs.

Lacynth40

• Omae
  • Savaging the average.
« Reply #5 on: <04-13-12/1834:06> »
Wait... There are GMs running this stuff online? How... How do I sign up? Where do I go? Is there a game starting up soon? Where, damn it, where!!!! *Cackles* I would be willing to play whatever pre-genned crap someone comes up with within the rules just to get in on some good RP. I'm the kind of player the GM throws a bone to, and I turn that bone into a genecrafted dinosaur with which to ride into battle. Or... Just bonk people on the head with the bone until the joke isn't funny anymore. *shrugs* Just wish I could find out where online Missions GMs were going to be starting new campaigns. Like, a sign-up type thing on the Missions boards. "Looking for players" would be a nice addition.
"Remember, you can't have manslaughter without laughter."

"If violence begat violence, in every case, every human on the planet would instantly devolve into gibbering murderers in a day."

_Pax_

« Reply #6 on: <05-27-12/1048:59> »
Where do I go?
Check www.rpol.net ... every so often, a Shadowrun campaign pops up there.