NEWS

OOC: Urban Brawl

• 2168 Replies

Kot

• Ace Runner
  • Meaow
« Reply #645 on: <04-30-11/0358:22> »
For now we have a Guidance spirit. If there's no Awakened support for them, I'll just summon a Spirit of Man and ask him for help.
Mariusz "Kot" Butrykowski
"Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons for you are crunchy and good with ketchup."

inca1980

• Ace Runner
« Reply #646 on: <04-30-11/0402:52> »
Well pg. 245 SR4A says that:

You "jump in" to a drone via full VR.  This requires a subscription to
the drone, vehicle, or device and takes a Simple Action. When jumped
in, the rigger essentially “becomes” the drone, perceiving through its
sensors and operating it as if it were his own body. A rigger who has
jumped into a drone can issue commands to other drones, but cannot
control them remotely.

So you can jump out at will but then jumping back in takes a simple action or jumping into a different drone.  You can control your other drones remotely by jumping out.

@Sichr: 

Jamming only works if the matrix intruder's actual node is physically within the jammer's range, but his node code physically be anywhere as far as you know. 

Well I didn't see that you were behind the vehicle so that changes things and changes what they would do.  I edited the layout in the diagram I had before.  So you're not behind the Rover, but in between the lane changing car and the Rover. 

@Kot:

It's the other way around, direct spells ground the magic in the target.  Indirect spells work just like ranged attackes.  So the window would get shattered by your indirect spell....but a direct spell would go right through it after the target. 

Teyl_Iliar

• Omae
  • Professionals, Don't cross them.
« Reply #647 on: <04-30-11/0403:37> »
Please please please declare counter spelling. all it takes is one good AOE spell to screw our asses up in total. If your magical attacks don't work, I can always send them a nice party favor. 8)
UB
Brick
speaking
ITF
Slip
speaking
thinking
comm

Sichr

• Prime Runner
  • TOTÁLNÍ FAŠÍRKA ZMRDI !!!
« Reply #648 on: <04-30-11/0456:27> »
@Sichr: 

Jamming only works if the matrix intruder's actual node is physically within the jammer's range, but his node code physically be anywhere as far as you know. 

True, but since you are jamming the signal in your area, they are not able to connect to your node, you are in the middle of safe zone.

Well I didn't see that you were behind the vehicle so that changes things and changes what they would do.  I edited the layout in the diagram I had before.  So you're not behind the Rover, but in between the lane changing car and the Rover. 

So they are 20 meters behind me...that means at least 70 meters from the Rover...since we have nothing in common with the Rover, Iwould let them pass by I think...if I manage to spot them (I should roll Shadowing or Perception, just tell me what to do) I also should spot them before brick does. We will need to rewrite the situation a bit...

Int(4)+Perception(4)+VisE(3) (11d6.hits(5)=4)

Int(4)+Shadowing(3) (7d6.hits(5)=1)
Reroll:
Int(4)+Shadowing(3)-Reroll(2) (5d6.hits(5)=4)

Xzylvador

• Prime Runner
  • Ask me about NERPS! 30% Sales!
« Reply #649 on: <04-30-11/0513:29> »
"Jamming only works if the matrix intruder's actual node is physically within the jammer's range, but his node code physically be anywhere as far as you know. "
Great!

Correct me if I'm wrong:
1- Wagner severs connections to gridguide and all drones but the car, so he can keep remote controlling it.
2- Wagner waits for the hacker to break the firewall and log in. Since this costs the hacker an action, he shouldn't be able to do anything else that turn. (Since I know he's trying, do I automatically detect when he's inside?)
3- Wagner sever connection to the car; then tells Brick to jam his comm for a split second, then immediately turn off the jammer again. (My Signal 5, no ECCM running, his Jammer R6 knows its freq. so doesn't have to roll to jam it.)
Wagner has no outside connections running, so doesn't get dumpshocked when he loses signal. Hacker inside his comm loses connection -even a split second is enough to make him lose the connection and suffer from dumpshock- and has to try getting in again.
4- Jammer's off, Wagner reconnects with the car and is back in business.

Did I miss anything there?
-- Editting my post to ask Brick to target his jammer on my comm frequency and be ready to cut my signal. I'm guessing Dustin won't be acting but just ducking?
« Last Edit: <04-30-11/0515:04> by Xzylvador »

Teyl_Iliar

• Omae
  • Professionals, Don't cross them.
« Reply #650 on: <04-30-11/0516:32> »
"Jamming only works if the matrix intruder's actual node is physically within the jammer's range, but his node code physically be anywhere as far as you know. "
Great!

Correct me if I'm wrong:
1- Wagner severs connections to gridguide and all drones but the car, so he can keep remote controlling it.
2- Wagner waits for the hacker to break the firewall and log in. Since this costs the hacker an action, he shouldn't be able to do anything else that turn. (Since I know he's trying, do I automatically detect when he's inside?)
3- Wagner sever connection to the car; then tells Brick to jam his comm for a split second, then immediately turn off the jammer again. (My Signal 5, no ECCM running, his Jammer R6 knows its freq. so doesn't have to roll to jam it.)
Wagner has no outside connections running, so doesn't get dumpshocked when he loses signal. Hacker inside his comm loses connection -even a split second is enough to make him lose the connection and suffer from dumpshock- and has to try getting in again.
4- Jammer's off, Wagner reconnects with the car and is back in business.

Did I miss anything there?
-- Editting my post to ask Brick to target his jammer on my comm frequency and be ready to cut my signal. I'm guessing Dustin won't be acting but just ducking?
My jammer is already up and running, all you have to do is give me a link ID.
UB
Brick
speaking
ITF
Slip
speaking
thinking
comm

Sichr

• Prime Runner
« Reply #651 on: <04-30-11/0519:22> »
You dont need to know it...since once wagner gave you the signal, you may jam Everything.

Xzylvador

• Prime Runner
« Reply #652 on: <04-30-11/0523:18> »
Let's not do the "jam everything" again, we know what'll happen then. (Unless of course we want KE as backup, heh.)

Sichr

• Prime Runner
« Reply #653 on: <04-30-11/0526:22> »
No more on the highway, and it should be just for the split of the second...but you are right, they may be watching...

And you are still on that Grid admin account???

Besides

Important question:

How dense is the traffic in Everett streets at 22:15 cca?

inca1980

• Ace Runner
« Reply #654 on: <04-30-11/0529:20> »
@Sichr:

But you'd have to jam every single node in your mutual signal range for their subscription to not get routed through that node...and you'd cut yourself off from the matrix as well because you'd have jammed all nodes that could route a matrix signal to your comm.  The matrix is just a bunch of interlinked nodes and your persona travels from one node to another by going through a path of interconnected devices until it gets to one that's in your signal range.....if that device goes out, then it dynamically routes it through another device that is still in mutual signal range of the node you have a subscription to. 

So it's not that you're "jamming the signal in your area"....you are jamming each specific node.  If you manage to remove wireless connectivity from every node/device in your mutual signal range, then there is no longer any way for you to connect to the matrix.

w.r.t. the car....everything is acting based on GM rolls that i have made, so when you said that you are actually behind the Rover....other rolls have to be made by me and then the diagram you see is the result of those actions and rolls which I myself roll so that you guys can't see them.  The roll you did see was the teamwork perception test and that was the roll to spot them, so that's the only roll that'll be made to spot them....and when Zach spotted the car behaving strangely, it was behind him.  Now if you want to get behind it, you have to do it through chase combat, but maybe they have already spotted you. 

The traffic is a few cars on the street.  This is a metroplex....a city that never sleeps.  Especially now when many people have sleep regulator implants and sometimes start their work day at 22.15.  Also metahumans with low light vision have a different attitude toward night time.  It's safe to say that traffic runs all day and all night in the 'plexes of the Sixth World. 

@Wagner:

That all is pretty good.  The only things I can see is that the Intruder wouldn't suffer dump shock...the intruder would just get logged off the node.  You only get dumpshock if one of the nodes your persona's in gets crashed, your persona gets crashed, or you jack out all of a sudden without logging off.  Logging off gracefully from a node takes a simple action otherwise you suffer dumpshock. 

So as long as you spend the proper actions for each thing this should be fine and you can start doing them as soon as your turn comes up.

Xzylvador

• Prime Runner
« Reply #655 on: <04-30-11/0535:29> »
"You only get dumpshock if <snip> you jack out all of a sudden without logging off."
I figured that since he suddenly gets his connection cut off (basically the same as jacking out, only someone else is doing it for you), he doesn't get a chance to log off gracefully and suffers from the shock of suddenly going virtually blind, deaf, paralyzed etc: dumpshock.
If not, there's no reason for me to do any of the "logging off from my drones/nodes" neither...

In fact, Log Off specifically mentions that it is how you can get out of a connection without suffering dumpshock. I think any other way of being severed from an active subscription without having the opportunity to log off (drone being killed, signal being cut, node suddenly gone because of crash, reboot or shut down) results in dumpshock.

-- Ugh, that's why I don't like hackers and riggers, all these different interpretations. Again, your game, your rules. I'm just explaining how I thought things work and more importantly, why. If you rule otherwise I'll try adapting to it. This is why I'm asking these things in advance on OOC before acting them in IC though; whatever rules we're playing with, even if I don't know them, I do assume Wagner knows them in advance and keeps them in mind for his plans.
« Last Edit: <04-30-11/0926:20> by Xzylvador »

Sichr

• Prime Runner
« Reply #656 on: <04-30-11/0553:24> »
@Sichr:

But you'd have to jam every single node in your mutual signal range for their subscription to not get routed through that node...and you'd cut yourself off from the matrix as well because you'd have jammed all nodes that could route a matrix signal to your comm.  The matrix is just a bunch of interlinked nodes and your persona travels from one node to another by going through a path of interconnected devices until it gets to one that's in your signal range.....if that device goes out, then it dynamically routes it through another device that is still in mutual signal range of the node you have a subscription to. 

So it's not that you're "jamming the signal in your area"....you are jamming each specific node.  If you manage to remove wireless connectivity from every node/device in your mutual signal range, then there is no longer any way for you to connect to the matrix.

w.r.t. the car....everything is acting based on GM rolls that i have made, so when you said that you are actually behind the Rover....other rolls have to be made by me and then the diagram you see is the result of those actions and rolls which I myself roll so that you guys can't see them.  The roll you did see was the teamwork perception test and that was the roll to spot them, so that's the only roll that'll be made to spot them....and when Zach spotted the car behaving strangely, it was behind him.  Now if you want to get behind it, you have to do it through chase combat, but maybe they have already spotted you. 

The traffic is a few cars on the street.  This is a metroplex....a city that never sleeps.  Especially now when many people have sleep regulator implants and sometimes start their work day at 22.15.  Also metahumans with low light vision have a different attitude toward night time.  It's safe to say that traffic runs all day and all night in the 'plexes of the Sixth World. 

@Wagner:

That all is pretty good.  The only things I can see is that the Intruder wouldn't suffer dump shock...the intruder would just get logged off the node.  You only get dumpshock if one of the nodes your persona's in gets crashed, your persona gets crashed, or you jack out all of a sudden without logging off.  Logging off gracefully from a node takes a simple action otherwise you suffer dumpshock. 

So as long as you spend the proper actions for each thing this should be fine and you can start doing them as soon as your turn comes up.
Well if Sichr was rolling for team perception, it was 11+3 - 14 dices, and that is the difference, just FYI. Since we are not in online contact all the time, I should have rolled without the team - see my roll in previous post. Shadowing roll would be used once you tell me, if there is a crossroad,or some alley I should drive to from the main street:

Intuition(4) + Navigation(2) + Mapsoft(5) (11d6.hits(5)=8)

I need to:
1. Break away from the line, like Im not connected to the van.
2. Find parallel running street
3. Find the crossroad that would enable me to get back on the scene, behind our pursuit
4. Send my waypoints and timestaps to Brick (and only Brick) so he is able to coordinate our actions, one single pulse, then Ill go silent, accepting only his reply.
Im in hidden mode

Sichr

• Prime Runner
« Reply #657 on: <04-30-11/0558:19> »
Also here
http://forums.shadowrun4.com/index.php?topic=3478.msg41897#msg41897 are my EW rolls (Radio signal scanner=sniffer)
Should I roll again?

inca1980

• Ace Runner
« Reply #658 on: <04-30-11/1317:42> »
@Xzylvador:

No, don't get me wrong, that's totally awesome your asking first in OOC....and being cool about it when my answers change things slightly.  So for the disconnection...if you look at pg. 238 under Terminate Connection...it doesn't say anything about the hacker who's connection got terminated gets dumpshock....and why would an alert response want to "let him down nicely"....you know what i'm saying.  So if a Terminate Connection alert response doesn't give you dumpshock, I don't feel temporary loss of wireless connectivity to a node which would be way more common and could happen to anyone would give you dumpshock.  That would mean anyone in a zone with a lot of static that loses wifi periodically would get dump shock any time one of their subscriptions dropped.  That would also mean everyone in the nearby cars that just got jammed would have gotten dumpshock that could even kill some weaker people.  I mean it's normal for little kids to use the matrix and if a common little flicker in the wireless connectivity suddenly severed one of their subscriptions, it could kill them....they just learn not to pull off their trodes all of a sudden because that is straight up messing with their synapses and if they don't do that they should be good. 

Basically, if all your subscriptions got severed, what you would see is your point of view switch all of a sudden back to the copy of your persona which is always residing inside your PAN and you would still be in VR....you wouldn't have gotten dumped from VR suddenly.  So the ways to actually get dumpshock is if your persona gets crashed by malignant code i.e. Attack code......if a node you have a subscription to gets crashed with malignant code.....or if you suddenly jack out of VR. 

So i'm being nice because I feel that you shouldn't even get logged off the node just because your matrix connectivity got severed....just like Shadowrun Forums, if i loose connectivity to the internet, as soon as my connectivity comes back up online, i don't have to re-authenticate.  But i'll just say it logs him off.

inca1980

• Ace Runner
« Reply #659 on: <04-30-11/1457:03> »
Ok just so people aren't confused, because i feel there's confusion, here's the text for Chase Combat, SR4A pg. 169: 

Chase combat is radically different from ordinary tactical combat.
Because everyone is moving around quickly, it’s nearly impossible and
practically pointless to keep track of everyone’s position. Instead, chase
combat is handled in abstract terms, where each driver tries to maneuver
his vehicle to gain an advantage over his opponent(s).

So the thing is i'll just SCRAP the diagram because that makes you guys wanna think too linearly and geometrically.  Distances and positions are totally abstracted so create whatever layout you want in your mind, but just remember that all that matters is if the engagement range is short, medium, long, or extreme and the only way to change these is by winning a set-up test.  This gets rid of the confusion when engagement range is changed between only two vehicles because if you're thinking about positions, this should logically change the engagement range between all 3 vehicles.  But we're ABSTRACTING it because it's assumed you're change actual distances constantly and fluidly and it's not all the time based on where you wanna go but also what other cars, obstacles, or turns on the road force you to do.  So rather than get bogged down in details, it's all just boiled down to engagement ranges.  Don't think linearly....and I apologizing for putting up that linear diagram, i was just trying to think of some way to express the information of engagement range in play by post...(this is my first PbP vehicle combat...but i've done it table top several times)....but it was a poor choice of representation.  Now i'll just say what the range is between all parties involved. 

So please don't complain when logic seems bent a bit when cars change their engagement range.  Just imagine the road as a rather 2dimensional playing field rather than a linear playing field and i'm sure you could resolve whatever issues with logic that you may be having.  The only "logic" i'll use is the idea that Rover is in the lead, and currently Zach and Driver are together.  Now it'll get weird if Driver passes ahead of Zach and changes to Short range with Rover, but Zach somehow is still Long Range from Rover, but still Short Range from Driver.  It gets all screwy logically.....and multiple opponent Chase Combat is weird like that...and best designed for just two sides.  But since Zach really wanted to have movement independence and not always be close to the Rover, we'll just do it like this and ignore that logical fallacy.  We can just fix it like this:

We won't really care what distance Zach is to Rover, but if he ever cares about his distance to the Rover...i'll just make him do a Vehicle Test and he can get to whatever range he wants to it....and the difficulty will be how much the change in range is.
« Last Edit: <04-30-11/1514:44> by inca1980 »