NEWS

GMing what else? Learning how in particular

• 18 Replies

Carcajou

• Newb
« Reply #15 on: <12-17-10/0128:12> »
It is ok for your players to "jump over" something you've made up and not force them to go throught what you have prepared or for them to resolve a chalenge you wanted to be tough almost in their sleep because they went by the way you didn't tought of. It is even more frustrating for them to be "artificialy" forced into a situation they have tried to avoid by all means or to be denied somme of their skill's just because you didn't tought about that one. Just go with them. in the end you can alway use again what they didn't visit or prepare beter the next time. And you all will be happyer. You didn't lost somme of your material (hurray less work before the next session) and they got to use that skill they have allways wanted to use.

but that doesent mean your players action arent with out consequences. and it is always ok to let player die because they butched the legwork or do the ting they shoud'nt have donne.

And a simple sentence like' Are you sure? carry more meaning when it is sed by a GM than by anyone elsse. somme times it's enough to get the player back in the way you wanted ( even when it is sead as a bluff)
who need paracriter when criters are already deadly enough?

inca1980

• Ace Runner
« Reply #16 on: <12-17-10/0231:09> »
Not for my players....."Are you sure you want to give that earth-shattering-world-changing technology over to Evo?....Ya?.....OOOKKK."

nakano

• Chummer
  • What we've got here is failure to communicate
« Reply #17 on: <01-02-11/0943:19> »
Honestly my approach to GMing comes down to the concept of knowing your setting.  Your world is not always going to be canon game world, but if you know how your world works then the game tends to flow well.

By this I mean:

1)  Know the core NPCs.  The characters contacts are important, have a discussion with your players about who their contacts are.  What is the relationship like.  How do they know each other.
2)  Know the core locations.  Know the inhabitants of the core locations, what the areas look like, what the areas feel like. 
3)  Know who the movers and shakers are.  Something I typically do is have a short list of some of the city's top shadow talent.  Typically it is the best team or two, outlined in broad strokes, names and jobs, and the top few individual runners.  Beyond that the top end fixers, arms dealers and talismongers are names that are floated around.  These are the folks that the players generally want to do business with, but have to establish the credibility or connections to get the introductions.
4)  Create a few urban legends for your game.  These really tend to add to flavor and setting.  For example, my games are all set in the Toronto sprawl(home sweet home), and everyone knows a guy who knows a guy that was at the CN Tower when some crazy street samurai tried to pull a gun at a meet gone bad, and simply disappeared.  No one will draw weapons in the Tower as a result of the urban legend.  It is the ultimate spot for a safe meet. 

Anyway hope that helps some.

Archivist

• Newb
« Reply #18 on: <01-03-11/1050:30> »
Final tip: Don't start off with a six-month mega-campaign. I

I should have read this rule first  :)  I started with Ghost Cartels!  It's a great time but I do wish I had started with a few simpler missions to get rolling and better understand all of the rules.  I will be working in some missions and other materials during an upcoming plot lull.  I recommend the PDF Bad Moon Rising in the East and some Missions for encounters that actually TELL the GM full facility defenses, results of legwork, matrix structure for hacking a target and so on.