NEWS

difference between Image Magnification and Improved Range Finder?

• 41 Replies

k_night

• Chummer
« Reply #15 on: <03-21-16/0925:27> »
I read the Hawk Eye description to see what you can conbine it with,
but strict reading it can only be used with analoge devices  ???
So that would mean only optical vision magnification  :o
Or am i missing something?

Mirikon

• Prime Runner
  • "Everybody lies." --House
« Reply #16 on: <03-21-16/1437:01> »
No, you're not missing anything, k_night, other than ScytheKnight's perhaps wishful thinking. So you could use hawk eye with optical binoculars, an optical scope, adept powers, spells, drugs that increase perception... might be others, but electronic enhancements, cyberware, or bioware are right out. That includes smartlinks, too.
Greataxe - Apply directly to source of problem, repeat as needed.

My Characters

Reaver

• Prime Runner
  • 60% alcohol 40% asshole...
« Reply #17 on: <03-21-16/1855:41> »
Not seeing an issue here.

Different options for different builds. Not everything has to work with everything.....

And its a nice boost for essence important characters like mages and adepts that may need a vision boost.
Where am I going? And why am I in a hand basket ???

Remember: You can't fix Stupid. But you can beat on it with a 2x4 until it smartens up! Or dies.

Dinendae

• Ace Runner
« Reply #18 on: <03-22-16/0309:09> »
Not seeing an issue here.

Different options for different builds. Not everything has to work with everything.....

And its a nice boost for essence important characters like mages and adepts that may need a vision boost.

Not to mention being dirt cheap to buy, even after character creation.

k_night

• Chummer
« Reply #19 on: <03-22-16/1201:20> »
ok  :D
so it a quality akin to lightning reflexes :P
very usefull for a specific build,
but useless if you plan to use something better :P

adzling

« Reply #20 on: <03-22-16/1351:58> »
I think it would works with Smartlink eyeware and Tetrachromatic vision as the former does not affect the eye's ability to see in the dark/ focus etc while the latter is NOT cyberware or bio but Geneware that alters your genes to perceive the additional spectra.

Pap Renvela

• Omae
« Reply #21 on: <03-22-16/1531:52> »
I think it would works with Smartlink eyeware and Tetrachromatic vision as the former does not affect the eye's ability to see in the dark/ focus etc while the latter is NOT cyberware or bio but Geneware that alters your genes to perceive the additional spectra.

I think reflex enhancers and wired reflexes would work witout wireless- but that's not the rule.

Smartlink is cyberware.
Hawkeye does not work with cyberware.

You want to houserule it differently- that's up to you and your group.
But that's what it would be, a houserule.

adzling

« Reply #22 on: <03-22-16/1607:52> »
Agreed Pap re: smartlink implant.

Regarding Tetrachromatic it's clear it will work per RAW at least.

Pap Renvela

• Omae
« Reply #23 on: <03-23-16/0203:06> »
I didn't chime in on Tetrachromatic as RAI vs RAW discussions are pretty much pointless unless the writer or Catalyst steps in and comments. And that usually doesn't happen. So RAW wins out usually unless it's clearly nonsensical.

ScytheKnight

• Ace Runner
« Reply #24 on: <03-23-16/0321:04> »
must admitting still a little confused at how an overlay is incompatible...
From To<<Matrix message>>
"Speech"
Thoughts
Astral
Mentor

Herr Brackhaus

• Prime Runner
« Reply #25 on: <03-23-16/0704:23> »
ScytheKnight
Because the rules say so unequivocally. There is literally no ambiguity there, as has been pointed out by others; Hawk Eye is incompatible with vision enhancement, smartlink is a vision enhancement, QED.

For what it's worth, I don't think anyone is trying to claim that your house rule is invalid, just that the written rules are quite clear in this case. Remember, fiction and rules are not always 100% aligned, but in this case the rules for Hawk Eye are quite straight forward.

Mirikon

• Prime Runner
« Reply #26 on: <03-23-16/0937:11> »
As Herr B said. This isn't one of those 'grey areas' where there's either no rules or conflicting rules. This is black and white. RAW says no, full stop.

My Characters

Adamo1618

« Reply #27 on: <03-23-16/1005:37> »
I didn't chime in on Tetrachromatic as RAI vs RAW discussions are pretty much pointless unless the writer or Catalyst steps in and comments. And that usually doesn't happen. So RAW wins out usually unless it's clearly nonsensical.

I'd call this incompatability nonsensical though.

Mirikon

• Prime Runner
« Reply #28 on: <03-23-16/1148:11> »
Adamo, Hawk Eye is all about the natural eye being better than normal. Cyberware, bioware, and electronic enhancements interfere with the way the eye naturally sees. Yes, it improves it in some ways, but it still interferes with the natural process. Even an overlay is still putting a filter between the eye and the light, changing the way it enters. Optical enhancements still work, because they don't change the light, simply focusing it. Magic works differently from that, enhancing the body or mind directly, so it still works. Drugs work on body chemistry, and some help the brain process images better, so those still work.

My Characters

Rooks

• Omae
« Reply #29 on: <03-23-16/2250:55> »
Smartlink and tetra don't change the eye either mage would be able to cast spells in the dark with some light