NEWS

Converting "firing selection change" modification to 5E

• 8 Replies

psycho835

• Omae
« on: <12-11-15/1453:39> »
Hoi chummers,
Hard Targets brought back some of the old mods, and gave us a few new ones. But personally, I find it a bit jarring that tremendously useful and perfectly realistic "firing selection change" wasn't included, while such ridiciulous (though admittedly, awesome) stuff such as "explosive magazine" was. I think it's time to fix that.

In Arsenal it goes like this:
Firing Selection Change: This modification is not available for weapons using unusual loading mechanisms or exotic ammunition, like the Sakura Fubuki or Pain Inducer. It modifies the gun’s selection of firing modes to include more options. Available options are single shot (SS), semi automatic (SA), burst fire (BF), and full auto (FA). Upgrading an SS or SA weapon to BF or FA mode is considered a large modification. Everything else (equipping an SS weapon with an SA mode and vice versa, equipping a BF weapon with an FA mode and vice versa, equipping a BF or FA weapon with an SS or SA mode) is considered a small modification. It is possible to take this modification more than once, each time choosing a new mode.

Slots                        Threshold                        Tools                         Cost                      Availability
Small mod             1                                    10                              Shop                          300Y                           4R
Large mod            4                                    40                             Facility           Weapon cost + 2000Y            12F

My idea for 5E:
Level 1 replaces already present firing mod, doesn't matter whether it's SS, SA, BF or FA - for example, Ares Predator V or Fichetti Security 600 firing exclusively in BF.
Level 2 adds a new firing mod to the ones already present, doesn't matter whether it's SS, SA, BF or FA - example: Ingram Smartgun X or SCK Model 100 with SA/BF/FA
                               Slot                          Threshold                       Tools                         Cost                      Availability                    Duration
Level 1               Internal                               ?                                Kit*                               ?                                 ?F                          1 hours
Level 2               Internal                               ?                               Shop*                            ?                                 ?F                          5 hours
*I'm hardly an authority on the subject, but I've heard that certain guns can be very easily converted to full auto inRL. So I figured that the shop/facility tool requirement was a bit too high.

Bad idea? Good? Waiting for suggestions. And, uh, could someone with better head for crunch help me fill in the blanks?
« Last Edit: <12-11-15/1513:15> by psycho835 »

MijRai

• Ace Runner
  • Kane's Understudy
« Reply #1 on: <12-11-15/1642:38> »
Well, as far as converting firearms to fully automatic in RL goes...  Most of those are semi-automatic rifles with measures put in place to prevent automatic fire.  The AR-15, for example, has a sear pin.  If you file that down a bit, the rifle becomes fully automatic.  This doesn't work for a lot of other firearms. 
Would you want to go into a place where the resident had a drum-fed shotgun and can see in the dark?

psycho835

• Omae
« Reply #2 on: <12-11-15/1649:57> »
This doesn't work for a lot of other firearms. 
Which is why I wrote "certain".
So, level 1 for SS and SA and level 2 for BF and FA?

Reaver

• Prime Runner
  • 60% alcohol 40% asshole...
« Reply #3 on: <12-11-15/1830:01> »
<sigh> and it starts again  :(

A huge list of guns, dumbed down to a pistol (modded for FA, extend clip, etc) to replace a SMG - but with better concealability. And a battle hardened, FA sniper rifle to replace the AR; but with exteme AP....

But what can you do, its legal by rules :(
Where am I going? And why am I in a hand basket ???

Remember: You can't fix Stupid. But you can beat on it with a 2x4 until it smartens up! Or dies.

psycho835

• Omae
« Reply #4 on: <12-11-15/2008:55> »
You probably won't believe, but I didn't even think of that. Our sammy wanted his sidekick to have semi-auto capability, and I figured that I'll just cover the whole thing in case we ever needed it.

MijRai

• Ace Runner
  • Kane's Understudy
« Reply #5 on: <12-11-15/2022:13> »
I'd just suggest releasing/somehow making available a custom gun to match their needs at that point. 

Avoiding what Reaver mentioned is a priority >.>
Would you want to go into a place where the resident had a drum-fed shotgun and can see in the dark?

Marcus Gideon

• Omae
  • Certainly not a Technomancer...
« Reply #6 on: <12-11-15/2108:19> »
There's only a couple of guns that are restricted to Single Shot anyway. The vast majority of them are semi-auto already. If they're single shot, it's for a good reason, like it's a Throwback revolver your grandpa used to carry when he was on the force. You can't really "doctor" that into a semi-auto, but you could just go buy one of the readily available semi-auto pistols instead.

Like MijRai said, the AR-15 is really easy to convert back into full auto. I say "back" b/c the AR-15 started out as an Army issue M-16 and got downscaled for civilian use. So you're just putting it back to what it did before.

When you're trying to crank up grandpa's revolver and turn it into a gatling gun, you're gonna have a bad time. =)
The Matrix is everywhere. It is all around us. Even now, in this very room. You can see it when you look out your window or when you turn on your television. You can feel it when you go to work…when you go to church…when you pay your taxes.

Kincaid

• Freelancer
  • Prime Runner
« Reply #7 on: <12-11-15/2211:36> »
Yeah, heed Reaver's words.  FA sniper rifles were no fun.
Killing so many sacred cows, I'm banned from India.

Rooks

• Omae
« Reply #8 on: <12-12-15/0257:50> »
This is why I play Shadowrun 4.5 Edition, If you can find it in 4E gear or ruling or system set up and it make sense that you should be able to purchase it / use the ruling in 2075 when the rules as stated dont make any deus damn sense and theres no viable reason why you cant in 5e (camouflage armor vs nanofabricators Im looking at you) then use the costs/ruling there why reinvent the wheel when you dont have to, thats Catalysts job apparently, oh well maybe Shadowrun 6E might have half way decent books publishing editing and actually add to Shadowrun instead of just relisting stuff that were in previous books (and better done to if I may add) instead of sectioning it off through 3 different books like its some sort of DLC when it doesnt even add to the past items that we already had in any meaningful way (hard targets run and gun "rigger 5" vs arsenal, street grimore/shadowspells vs street magic , Chrome Flesh Boston: lockdown vs Augmentation Man & Machine) /end rant

but yes, I can see the value of a BF/FA Rain Forest with extended clip
« Last Edit: <12-12-15/0304:24> by Rooks »