NEWS

Warning for thos runnign playing SRM03-10 Spin Control

• 7 Replies

lurkeroutthere

• Omae
« on: <09-27-10/2001:19> »
Before anyone gets the wrong impression I think this is a good mod, any rough spots it has are only there because it has a derth of material.

Now having set out that disclaimer: This module really needed to be broken into two missions as there is at least 5-8 hours worth of material there between the different gangs and their requirements and the affiliation system. The module suffers a little bit from too many plot line syndrome.
"And if the options are "talk to him like a grown up" versus "LOLOLOL murder him in his face until he doesn't come back," I know which suggestion I'm making." - Critias

No team I'm on has ever had a problem with group think.

DarkLloyd

• Ace Runner
  • Stupidity this Good takes TEAMWORK.
« Reply #1 on: <09-29-10/0408:34> »
you are correct sir.
Still made it thru, with like 30 seconds to spare, at the con. It was the closest I've come in awhile to not finishing one.

Very Fun though. It'll make an Excellent home game!
It's also the first time I ever DiDn't want to kill gangers. My char just couldn't bring himself to kill those guys. We actually failed the affiliation thing cause we wanted to help out "Those nice Boys" lol.
« Last Edit: <09-29-10/0410:52> by DarkLloyd »
Runing the shadows since '90
If you can't Dazzle them with STYLE, Riddle them with BULLETS.
"Sometimes we do the right thing.  Sometimes we shoot people in the face for money."-CanRay
"Sometimes those are the same thing."-Mirikon

Missions Characters:
ChromeMonger - Sam
Blanco Diablo - Adept

lurkeroutthere

• Omae
« Reply #2 on: <09-30-10/0204:17> »
The group I'm currently running fir did all the stuff with the gangs and are now calling out for backup (players whon weren't there last session) before assaulting the facility. They've written off the original run and decided to go on a swag and pay data hunt as they found the J's offer and tone insulting for the risk involved. So gang time and recon took four hours actual assault or sneak may take another four.
"And if the options are "talk to him like a grown up" versus "LOLOLOL murder him in his face until he doesn't come back," I know which suggestion I'm making." - Critias

Bull

• Ace Runner
  • Crotchety Old Ork Decker
« Reply #3 on: <09-30-10/0359:42> »
Man, I've gotta know.  WHat crappy Table Ratings do you play at, Lurker, and how terribad is your face? :) 

Now, I'm spoiled, as I only run at Table Rating 6, but looking at this adventure, I'd be walking away with 10 grand, easy. :)

Bull

Chance359

• Newb
« Reply #4 on: <09-30-10/1214:29> »
We're at TR 4 for this mission.  Since there were only 4 of us (Techno, mage, face/sam, hacker) we decided to take it easy on ourselves.  We were going to call it a day after learning what was actually inside the facility but decided to regroup and call in support.

Now I may be reading it wrong but Bull you sound just a wee bit condescending in your last post.

Bull

• Ace Runner
  • Crotchety Old Ork Decker
« Reply #5 on: <09-30-10/1602:27> »
Eh, wasn't intended to be condescending, really.  I was mainly just curious.

At TR 4, there's the possiblity for 8K out of the game.  (1500¥*TR), plus a possible 2000 extra from Net Successes from the Face (200¥ per hit, max 10 hits).  There's also the offer of an extra 1000 if you can get in and out unseen. (I didn't count that in my TR6 calculation because, well, I know my character.  He doesn't do "quiet" very well, even if the rest of the group wishes he did.  He's an uncouth combat monster with an addiction to GUts.  That makes him a tad unstable :) ).  There's also the oppurtunity to make some extra cash inside the building, if you look hard enough.

I can't really fathom anyone walking away from a run after getting offered 6 or 8K.  Especially since it was basically a break in, find some data, get out.  I know Lurker has a bit of a different idea of what constitutes "Low pay" than I do, but...  I was mostly honestly curious, because I've seen him talk about how "absurdly low" payments are before, and was wondering if he was habitually running at TR 1 or 2, in which case I would very much agree with him.

Table Ratings are a very screwy, wonky thing, and they really skew a game in various directions.

But that said, yes, I can see how this game can easily run long.  The stuff at the beginning, with the gangers, isn't intended to be a really long, drawn out section.  That's why it's only a single Scene.  It was mostly written before I got involved, so I didn't make it go through massive rewrites, because it's a decent adventure on it's own. 

If I was doing it for Season 4, I'd have likely had a couple of optional scenes added in to flesh out the Ganger stuff more, make that an entire "thing" in it's own right, with more details about the locations of the gangs.  Have each encounter be it's own scene.  But I'd have one Scene that streamlines it all, and encourages the GM to speed that scene along, get the players to the building fairly quickl, since the B&E job is going to take potentially a lot of time.

lurkeroutthere

• Omae
« Reply #6 on: <10-01-10/1747:00> »
Personally I think you and I usually have differing ideas of what constitutes a life of a shadowrunner. :) Nothing wrong with that. I'll admit 8k is pretty good pay for a run.

Until the J mentions bug spirits, at least on the plus side he was honest and up front about it. That completely changes the stakes in my mind for most runners. Then when you get the facility it's protected like no other facility the runners have yet faced in manhattan, that implies that what it protects is extremely valuable.

So no they didn't walk away at the table, but I think they made a rational decision that while they wern't completely ruling out doing the run as advertised (after all the J only offers 1k for exclusive rights), they figure that there might be considerably more money in selling what's there to other parties, and that's even before they've found what's really going on*.

*Which is one of my single biggest complaints about the module as the subtext which I won't go into here for the sake of spoilers felt really tacked on. It also feels like the organization running the facility has way too many eggs in one basket and their protection is actually insufficient for the level of damage the facilities nature could cause. It feels like the organizations who run the facility have a case of getting handed the idiot ball.
« Last Edit: <10-02-10/1704:34> by lurkeroutthere »

Deacon

• Newb
  • Call me... Deacon Blues
« Reply #7 on: <10-04-10/0342:26> »
There was a fifth face/sam, but he got jumped on by a gang, and killed (I used HOG to keep him alive at the last minute).

Then Lurker and I decided that our personality differences had become too volatile and we've agreed to part ways amiably.
"Of course I have a superpower.  It's called a brain.  I use it."
--Johnny Zero, Children of the Atom