NEWS

Confused.

• 11 Replies

Thefurmonger

• Newb
« on: <12-28-14/1046:45> »
Hey all, so I was looking to try some Missions play and I had a few questions.

When I did a search I found
http://www.shadowruntabletop.com/missions/players/

But it says "Creating a character is done as per the rules found in Shadowrun, Twentieth Anniversary Edition (SR4A). Make sure you have the latest printing of SR4A. If you do not, please download the errata. Shadowrun Missions uses the standard system for generating characters."

But I play 5th? Isnt that the most current system? Or is missions still 4th?

Also where can I find a list of Missions games in an area?

Thanks for the help.

8-bit

« Reply #1 on: <12-28-14/1107:44> »
Missions is 5th, the website there has not updated since 4th. You need to download the prep files off of DTRPG (I think you can get them somewhere else too, but that's where I got mine).

http://rpg.drivethrustuff.com/product/119272/Shadowrun-Missions-Season-5-Prep-Files

That's for the prep files.

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/12034805/Shadowrun%20Missions%20Chicago%20FAQ%20Update%20v1.2.pdf

As far as I know, that's the most updated FAQ.

Namikaze

• Freelancer Ltd
  • Prime Runner
  • I'm a Ma'fan of Shadowrun!
« Reply #2 on: <12-28-14/1235:38> »
If you're looking to pick up the Missions themselves, you can buy them off Drive Thru RPG in PDF format.  Catalyst began doing this with Season 4, but previous seasons can be hard to find.  There are some compilations that have been released too, like Firing Line and Elven Blood, which contain missions or whole campaigns.  Also the "X of the Artifacts" series is great.  Challenging, but really good stuff.
Feel free to keep any karma you earned illicitly, it's on us.

Quote from: Stephen Covey
Most people do not listen with the intent to understand; they listen with the intent to reply.

Dr. Meatgrinder

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Omae
  • CDT Field Agent (#483)
« Reply #3 on: <12-28-14/1319:18> »
Season 3 Missions are also on Drive-Thru RPG.  Seasons 1 and 2 are available on the SR Tabletop site.  Season 1 is for SR3, Seasons 2-4 are SR4.

The current Missions (the ones you'll see at conventions) are for SR5, starting with Season 5.  Currently only the first four of six Season 5 missions are available on Drive-Thru RPG, with the remaining two somewhere in the pipeline.  Season 6 continues from Season 5, some of the Season 6 missions debuted in 2014, the rest in 2015 at conventions.  The 2010 CMPs (published as Sprawl Wilds and Firing Line), 2012 CMPs (published as London Falling), and 2013 and 2014 CMPs (not published yet) are so far legal for SR5 Missions play.  (Also see here for a note from Bull regarding the Missions numbering scheme.)

You can try the Catalyst Demo Team site, which has a searchable Event list.  Also, you might do Google or Facebook searches for SR Missions groups in your area or check with your FLGS in case the local Missions GMs haven't posted events to the CDT site.
« Last Edit: <12-28-14/1327:38> by Dr. Meatgrinder »
Guiding principle for game balance:  Players avoid underpowered stuff and flock to overpowered stuff.
Missions Freelancer (SRM 04-10 Romero & Juliette, SRM 05-01 Chasin' the Wind, SRM 06-06 Falling Angels, PM-02 A Holy Piece of Wetwork)

Namikaze

• Freelancer Ltd
  • Prime Runner
« Reply #4 on: <12-28-14/1638:47> »
Thank you for the links, Doc!  I was trying to find the missions on the CDT site, but I couldn't find all of them - having Seasons 1-3 in toto is very helpful.

Most people do not listen with the intent to understand; they listen with the intent to reply.

Thefurmonger

• Newb
« Reply #5 on: <12-28-14/1822:51> »
Thank you for all the help.

Does Catalyst support the missions campaign?

The reason I ask is I am coming over from being heavily involved in Pathfinder Society play. And I have to say that the community here is amazing, but If you dont find you guys then looking for info in Missions play is REALLY frustrating.

I am used to going to the company's website and finding many resources to help new players and a listing of events by state. Going to Catalyst's site would make you think the living campaign is over.

Again, thank you all for the help and I look forward to having a blast in the living campaign, but damn, you guys need support that a new person can find easily.

Namikaze

• Freelancer Ltd
  • Prime Runner
« Reply #6 on: <12-28-14/1848:50> »
I agree that the info can be hard to find.  The Catalyst Demo Team runs the Missions officially - we're basically a bunch of volunteers and there are a couple of people at the top that actually work for Catalyst.  Bull is the "ambassador" of sorts - he's written a few of the Missions, keeps the FAQ up to date, etc.  Sinthalix runs things over on the CDT site, and coordinates conventions and such between all the agents.

The CDT site should be a great resource for finding Missions games that are up-and-coming though.  If you can't find a game on there, you should definitely feel free to ask.  It's possible that, in my situation for instance, there might be a bunch of support for Shadowrun in a nearby city (Denver in my case) but not a lot of need for constant support in my home city.  If there is more demand, I might be able to accommodate.  Generally you'll find a lot of the major cities and regions represented by CDT agents.

If you can tell us where you want to play, I or one of the other demo agents might be able to find your nearest agent(s) and put you in contact with him/her/them.

Thefurmonger

• Newb
« Reply #7 on: <12-28-14/2009:56> »
Thank you Namikaze

I am in Highland MI (48357) But really Detroit or Lansing MI are the closest big cities.

And please understand I am not complaining, I found all the info thanks to you guys.

But I'm not the norm, all im saying is you/we would get more people if the info were easier to find, as it is its like a Decker LARP to find this stuff  :)

And yeah I would love if any of you know of stuff in my area.

Thanks again!

Bull

• Ace Runner
  • Crotchety Old Ork Decker
« Reply #8 on: <12-28-14/2321:57> »
Bull is the "ambassador" of sorts - he's written a few of the Missions, keeps the FAQ up to date, etc.

I'm also the Missions developer...  I plot out the overall story arcs and hire the writers and do most of the dev/editing work on the Missions. :)

And yeah.  the website is a frustrating problem that I really, really wish we had fixed.  That's a problem that's well above my paygrade though :(

I try and make certain to keep updates posted here and to the SR Missions Facebook Page, though, so those should be your primary sources for information.

First thing you'll want to do is grab the Missions  FAQ & Prep Files documents, which are available free on DriveThru.  That will give you all the basic information you need to start running, create characters, etc.  I'd also suggest making sure you have the latest SR FAQ/Errata documents as well.

Namikaze

• Freelancer Ltd
  • Prime Runner
« Reply #9 on: <12-29-14/0026:13> »
Bull is the "ambassador" of sorts - he's written a few of the Missions, keeps the FAQ up to date, etc.

I'm also the Missions developer...  I plot out the overall story arcs and hire the writers and do most of the dev/editing work on the Missions. :)

Oh, I totally wrote that wrong.  I meant - Bull is the bossman, and he runs the Ork Underground with an Iron Fist.  :P

8-bit

« Reply #10 on: <12-29-14/0120:57> »

Oh, I totally wrote that wrong.  I meant - Bull is the bossman, and he runs the Ork Underground with an Iron Fist.  :P

Don't forget he's one of the bossmen on Jackpoint too. Ruling with a digital (?) fist.

Thefurmonger

• Newb
« Reply #11 on: <12-29-14/0905:23> »
Thanks again guys, I have to say the community here is amazing.

I'll go check out the FB page.