NEWS

[Resource] [Game Aids] Hacking 101 - Step-by-Step Basics of Hacking Guide

• 18 Replies

AceFace

« on: <08-25-12/1408:27> »
Hello all,

I put together the attached guide to help out the hacker in the game I'll be running shortly and to help me wrap my head around the basic hacking rules as they are (probably) most likely to be used. I hope it's of some use to other GMs/players looking to tangle with hackers for the first time.

Please note that the information in the guide is BBB only (that's how we're starting our campaign, though we may introduce some stuff from Unwired in time) and is not intended to be a comprehensive list of everything a hacker can do (see Smoo's excellent guide for that: http://forums.shadowrun4.com/index.php?topic=5938.0). I hope it's still helpful and easy to follow despite all that.

I'd like to thank the people who provided feedback and helped me correct my errors and knock this faintly into some sort of useful shape on the Rules and Such board - lurkeroutthere, RiggerBob, Kat9 and UmaroVI.

Cheers everyone...

Edit: Updated version with new layout and some typos fixed.
« Last Edit: <02-27-13/1524:50> by AceFace »

wolfrider66

• Newb
« Reply #1 on: <09-24-12/1407:57> »
Hello all,

I put together the attached guide to help out the hacker in the game I'll be running shortly and to help me wrap my head around the basic hacking rules as they are (probably) most likely to be used. I hope it's of some use to other GMs/players looking to tangle with hackers for the first time.

Please note that the information in the guide is BBB only (that's how we're starting our campaign, though we may introduce some stuff from Unwired in time) and is not intended to be a comprehensive list of everything a hacker can do (see Smoo's excellent guide for that: http://forums.shadowrun4.com/index.php?topic=5938.0). I hope it's still helpful and easy to follow despite all that.

I'd like to thank the people who provided feedback and helped me correct my errors and knock this faintly into some sort of useful shape on the Rules and Such board - lurkeroutthere, RiggerBob, Kat9 and UmaroVI.

Cheers everyone...

Edit: Updated version with some typos fixed added.

Thanks for the help, I really need it.
wolfrider66
"Make your own luck."

Alpha Blue

• Newb
« Reply #2 on: <10-02-12/1553:17> »
Thanks a bunch! Nice examples:)

Kat9

« Reply #3 on: <10-07-12/1659:06> »
In fact, I pass along your and Smoo's guide to everyone I game with in Shadowrun :)

Wolfboy

• Omae
  • life sucks, deal with it
« Reply #4 on: <10-07-12/1930:11> »
thanks, maybe this will help me understand this side of things better
May god grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, to change the things I can, and the firepower to make the difference.

Suicide is never the answer, now homicide on the other hand, that has posibilities.

7.62 Russian, when it absolutely has to be done under budget

Ener

• Newb
« Reply #5 on: <12-06-12/1645:47> »
I have to say that thing was brilliant, I'll pass it along to the hacker in group I gm at the next meeting

Zolt

• Newb
« Reply #6 on: <12-26-12/1111:27> »
This is seriously awesome! I don't think I've ever talked to one GM or player who doesn't struggle with the Matrix. At last it all makes sense now! Well.. most of it at any rate.

thalandors

• Newb
« Reply #7 on: <02-26-13/2256:37> »
Is it normal that I can't see any link to this guide  :-[

AceFace

« Reply #8 on: <02-27-13/0234:51> »
Really sorry - had some trouble with the latest version of the PDF. I've attached the Word file to this post for now, but will see whether I can fix the PDF when I have a chance.

AceFace

« Reply #9 on: <02-27-13/1525:12> »
New version up in PDF format. Enjoy!

Willo

• Newb
« Reply #10 on: <03-30-13/1845:23> »
As someone new to Shadowrun, hacking and Matrix stuff has been a little tough to get my head round as its fairly daunting. BUT this sir expalins things perfectly. Love it!! Thankyou very much  ;D

Elektrycerze3

• Omae
  • Russian Decker
« Reply #11 on: <04-01-13/0828:13> »
Good God, the days of constant page flipping are over. Thank you so much! Hope there will be something like your guide in the 5th ed.
Speech | Matrix/Communication | Thought | Astral
“Forget hackers, I have my buddies Smith & Wesson: innovators of the point-and-click interface.”

Razhul

• Omae
« Reply #12 on: <04-01-13/1448:35> »
Detecting hidden nodes requires mutual signal range, no?

Automaton

• Chummer
« Reply #13 on: <08-01-13/0852:51> »
Anyone working on updating this to 5e ?

AceFace

« Reply #14 on: <08-06-13/1848:03> »
I have no plans to update this any time soon, but I'm very happy to provide the MS Word file if anyone else wants to.