NEWS

[SR6] Discussion - Matrix Search

• 33 Replies

Plan_B

• Newb
« Reply #30 on: <10-15-19/0259:34> »
In the TV series Leverage it seem as if most of their initial legwork in almost all episodes is done by their 'hacker'. Probably via 'matrix search' together together with some elements of hacking.

Lisbeth Salander (Girl with the dragon tattoo) also seem do most of her profiling via excellent 'matrix search' skills together with elements of hacking, her contacts within the hacking community scene and possibly also by stalking her mark, placing recording devices in their home when they are not there and requesting public records from various institutes.

I feel this kinda help out to set the level of Intel one could expect from a skilled decker or technomancer (but probably not from just Matrix Search alone).
Honestly, I wouldn’t go that route at all as entertainment media treats computer technology as practically magical because far to many people lack any meaningful level of technological literacy. It’s easy for television or movies to make crap up because people don’t know it’s crap. As not only a tech geek but also as a gun guy, I see this happen all the fragging time because people just don’t know how the magic smoke in the scary box or the bang switch on the pew pew pointer actually works.
When the "milk run" goes sour, it's time for Plan B!

Michael Chandra

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Prime Runner
  • Question-slicing ninja
« Reply #31 on: <10-15-19/0307:41> »
To be fair, the Matrix is Magic. And Resonance is like Magic but not Magic, intriguing some VERY powerful beings in the Metaplanes...
How am I not part of the forum?? O_O I am both active and angry!

Kirklins

• Newb
« Reply #32 on: <10-15-19/0550:40> »

Honestly, I wouldn’t go that route at all as entertainment media treats computer technology as practically magical because far to many people lack any meaningful level of technological literacy. It’s easy for television or movies to make crap up because people don’t know it’s crap. As not only a tech geek but also as a gun guy, I see this happen all the fragging time because people just don’t know how the magic smoke in the scary box or the bang switch on the pew pew pointer actually works.
Hate to tell you, chummer, but it's not just "don't know it's crap", and it's not just tech and guns. It's pretty much everything, and that includes shows about show business.

The primary reason for all this is "boring". Or more accurate, don't be boring if you're trying to keep people's attention with your entertainment.

So yeah, I can see myself using these ideas at my table to keep interest up.
GM in training
for a long, long time now

ZeroSum

• Omae
« Reply #33 on: <10-15-19/0620:03> »
Personally, one of my biggest issues in trying to wrap my head around the Matrix is letting go of the idea that it is just technology. It isn't.

Ever since 1st Edition the Matrix has been firmly in the realm of "technology so advanced that it might as well be magic". Later editions have only reinforced this idea, with technomancers and the Deep Resonance and The Foundation and all that jazz.

So for me, at least, I'm much less interested in what we can do with the internet today, than what the Matrix is in the 6th World. I keep having to remind myself that the Matrix isn't the Internet, and that my ideas of how modern computer networks function is not necessarily a good model to base the Matrix off of.