NEWS

Question on Dodge skill

• 36 Replies

Chaemera

• Omae
  • I may be a mouse, but I have a chainsaw.
« Reply #30 on: <11-27-10/1458:15> »
On the topic of using Dodge, how does a Melee Combat specialization for the Dodge skill affect the use of Full Dodge (Dodge + Dodge+ Reaction) in melee combat?  Does it benefit a +2 or +4 modifier from the specialization?

Since specializations are dice pool modifiers:
Quote from:  SR4A, pg. 68, Specializations
A specialization grants the character a dice pool modifier of +2 dice on tests using that skill when the particular specialty applies

You would get +2 per test, not per time the skill is added to the pool.

EDIT

Before this fight starts up again, if you wish to debate whether or not it's a dice pool modifier, go here.
« Last Edit: <11-27-10/1502:28> by Chaemera »
SR20A Limited Edition # 124
Obsidian Portal Profile: http://www.obsidianportal.com/profile/chaemera

Major Doom

• Chummer
« Reply #31 on: <11-27-10/1509:55> »
A specialization grants the character a dice pool modifier of +2 dice on tests using that skill when the particular specialty applies

EDIT

Before this fight starts up again, if you wish to debate whether or not it's a dice pool modifier, go here.

Thanks, I figured this, but I have a fellow player in a group I play with, argue that since Dodge is used twice in a Full Dodge during melee combat, he can apply a +4.
"Ok, you people! Sit tight, hold the fort, and keep the home fires burning. And if we're not back by dawn... call the president."
-- Jack Burton

Bradd

• Omae
« Reply #32 on: <11-27-10/1912:31> »
My group was wondering something similar about Full Parry. I suppose then that you'd get Reaction + weapon + weapon + 2.

voydangel

• Omae
  • SR GM since 1990. Damn I'm old.
« Reply #33 on: <11-27-10/1946:25> »
My group was wondering something similar about Full Parry. I suppose then that you'd get Reaction + weapon + weapon + 2.

If you're weapon specialization is in defense/parrying, then that would be my ruling - yup.
My tips for new GM's
Unless it is coming from an official source, RAI = "Rules As Imagined."
SR1+SR2+SR3++SR4++SR5+++h+b+++B+D382UBIE-RN---DSF-W+m+(o++)gm+MP

Medicineman

• Ace Runner
« Reply #34 on: <11-28-10/0401:07> »
On the topic of using Dodge, how does a Melee Combat specialization for the Dodge skill affect the use of Full Dodge (Dodge + Dodge+ Reaction) in melee combat?  Does it benefit a +2 or +4 modifier from the specialization?

EDIT

+1   :)

Hough!
Medicineman
http://english.bouletcorp.com/2013/08/02/the-long-journey/
---------------------------------------------------
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h1V7fi5IqYw
---------------------------------------------------
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-RYlAPjyNm8

Waratah

• Newb
« Reply #35 on: <12-06-10/2233:56> »
Sorry guys, I've got a follow on from this.
Pretty sure I've got the dice pools figured out, but do successes from defence stack with the resistance test at all?
Meaning, if I try and defend against the attack either by trying to dodge it entirely, block the attack or parry it, does this in any way reduce the damage value of the attack before attemption the attempt to resist said damage.
In some ways it makes sense to, but on the other hand it might make it impossible to get hurt.
I didn't note anything in the rules.

Doc Chaos

• Omae
  • Bavarian Mr. Johnson
« Reply #36 on: <12-07-10/0053:09> »
Dodge/block/parry reduce your attackers successes when it comes to hitting you. If their successes are reduced to zero, you don't get hit. If you don't reduce their successes to zero, only the remaining successes are factored in the damage you have to soak.
SR4A Limited Edition [german] - 0478/1100