NEWS

Ares bought Dodge?

• 8 Replies

DWC

• Omae
« on: <09-01-17/1229:17> »
Rigger 5 talks about Ares owning Dodge.  When did Sony decide to sell off one of the flagship brands of Chrysler-Nissan to one of their two biggest competitors and why?

SunRunner

• Chummer
« Reply #1 on: <09-01-17/1305:38> »
Not sure about who owns the Doge brand in the SR world but corps will sell ANYTHING to ANYONE if the price is right. If Ares ponied up with something like the last 10 years of Dodge revenue as the sale price they would be kinda silly to say no. FYI general valuation of a business is the last 5 years of revenue. Or at least it is here in the real world.

DWC

• Omae
« Reply #2 on: <09-01-17/1414:38> »
Dodge was owned by Chrysler for most of the game's history, then suddenly in Rigger 5, Ares is selling things under the Dodge brand, which means they bought it from Chrysler-Nissan, who are owned by Sony.

Reaver

• Prime Runner
  • 60% alcohol 40% asshole...
« Reply #3 on: <09-01-17/1719:52> »
Keep in mind, Sony in SR is not one of the "big" boys. They are a AA corp... so while that gives them some clout, it's nothing compared to Ares.

And who knows, Maybe Sony pulled another "Ghostbusters + Emoji movie" screw up and was sinking... so to get some fast cash they sold off Dodge. (Kinda like how SONY is seriously considering shutting down/selling Sony Entertainment due to 2 years of steady losses)
Where am I going? And why am I in a hand basket ???

Remember: You can't fix Stupid. But you can beat on it with a 2x4 until it smartens up! Or dies.

The Wyrm Ouroboros

• Prime Runner
  • I Have Taken All Shadowrun To Be My Province
« Reply #4 on: <09-01-17/2247:59> »
Yeah, if it isn't On The Board (Big 8, Big 9, Big 10, Big 13, whatever), it's at least considered small potatoes.  There are, however, a fair number of AAs that are larger than certain AAAs (NeoNET, we're looking at you), which is in part what is really whipping up the heat on the whole recertification thing.
Pananagutan & End/Line

Old As McBean, Twice As Mean
"Oh, gee - it's Go-Frag-Yourself-O'Clock."
New Wyrm!! Now with Twice the Bastard!!

Laés is ... I forget. -PiXeL01
Play the game. Don't try to win it.

Tassyr

• Chummer
« Reply #5 on: <09-06-17/0157:35> »
Keep in mind, Sony in SR is not one of the "big" boys. They are a AA corp... so while that gives them some clout, it's nothing compared to Ares.

And who knows, Maybe Sony pulled another "Ghostbusters + Emoji movie" screw up and was sinking... so to get some fast cash they sold off Dodge. (Kinda like how SONY is seriously considering shutting down/selling Sony Entertainment due to 2 years of steady losses)

Oh I like that. I'd love to see details on how that went down. Hell, I can even see Ares operating a little... well, a lot, actually... of discreet runner-fueled sabotage to make sure they could GET the brand.
"There's a reason Johnsons are named what they are. They'll try and fuck you at some point, no doubt about it." -Camulus

Reaver

• Prime Runner
  • 60% alcohol 40% asshole...
« Reply #6 on: <09-06-17/1422:28> »

Oh I like that. I'd love to see details on how that went down. Hell, I can even see Ares operating a little... well, a lot, actually... of discreet runner-fueled sabotage to make sure they could GET the brand.

Now you just gotta think up the runs, and get your players to work! ;P
Where am I going? And why am I in a hand basket ???

Remember: You can't fix Stupid. But you can beat on it with a 2x4 until it smartens up! Or dies.

Tassyr

• Chummer
« Reply #7 on: <09-06-17/1524:00> »

Now you just gotta think up the runs, and get your players to work! ;P

Ha! I'm no gm and have no players. But if I were to do it... Hm. Introduce a virus into the production line computers at a factory to produce a defect in some parts. Tap email and comms in various exec level offices. Probably with a tailchaser to cover for it. Recover said emails about defective parts, leak to media. Etc.
"There's a reason Johnsons are named what they are. They'll try and fuck you at some point, no doubt about it." -Camulus

Quatar

• Omae
« Reply #8 on: <09-07-17/1830:07> »
Yeah, if it isn't On The Board (Big 8, Big 9, Big 10, Big 13, whatever), it's at least considered small potatoes.  There are, however, a fair number of AAs that are larger than certain AAAs (NeoNET, we're looking at you), which is in part what is really whipping up the heat on the whole recertification thing.
Well to be fair, the only real difference between AAA and AA is that AAA are on the Corporate Court. That's a huge difference of course, but stuff like extraterritoriality, money, etc is all similar. And as you point out quite a few AA are quite big themselves.