NEWS

Barrens Weaopnry

• 60 Replies

Twitchy D

• Omae
  • Paranoia is a survival trait.
« Reply #45 on: <10-17-12/2004:22> »
Continued in a moment...

The first problem with your electrosword is that in the real world (Yes, Shadowrun is not and will never be the "real world", but this next bit is still important to realize), the blood in a human body makes a really good electrical conductor. While I am speculating that this what would happen, I would think that the moment that sword pierces skin, the damage stops being stun, and would go to full physical damage. The reason why tazers work without killing the tazee is that they do not penitrate deep enough to reach veins and arteries. Swords are supposed to do that in order to kill people. So with the electrical current reaching the veins and stuff, it would head up them and go directly for the heart. So, no, that weapon would be less then ideal for nonlethal runs. If this is incorrect and I am wrong, then I would like to hear it so I can make a better decision about this, but even if this assumption was wrong, this doesn't solve the next and more important reason.

The second is for game balance. If your weapon could do lethal AND stun damage, no matter what, your enemy would go down within a few good hits, especially with a garrenteed six stun per hit. While this is totally boss for a player who can use that weapon, the rest of the team would be left in the dust, which could make them resentful. Then its just a stone's throw away from an accusation of munchkinning, and then the whole game goes to hell.

So, no. The powersword is most likely going to be lethal damage only, especially if it has an edge. Even then, I wouldn't give it a +6 damage bonus, lethal or not.

Also, something to listen to while you read this post. Just for fun, mind you. ;D
« Last Edit: <10-17-12/2012:31> by Twitchy D »

Mirikon

• Prime Runner
  • "Everybody lies." --House
« Reply #46 on: <10-17-12/2015:40> »
If I was GMing, the only way I would allow a 'stunsword' is if it was something like the following:

Stunsword
6S(e) / (STR/2+3)S damage, -half / +0 AP, Reach 1, Availability 6R, 800 nuyen
This weapon is a blunt blade made of light-weight, high strength composites that still conduct an electrical charge. When activated, the blade can deal electrical damage as noted in the stats. It carries ten charges, and when connected to a power port, it recharges at a rate of one charge per ten seconds. When it is out of charges or deactivated, the blunt blade deals stun damage as noted in the second set of stats.
Greataxe - Apply directly to source of problem, repeat as needed.

My Characters

Twitchy D

• Omae
« Reply #47 on: <10-17-12/2023:12> »
I'd still allow the Electrosword, but as a Jingwei's Shocksword type weapon which does lethal damage ONLY. If you wanted to do stun damage in the first place, you would have gone for the club skill at character creation.

DarkLloyd

• Ace Runner
  • Stupidity this Good takes TEAMWORK.
« Reply #48 on: <10-18-12/0945:33> »
Just have the sword do physical damage, go thru the same resistance rolls as normal combat and if they take any damage have them roll the taze effects. If they don't take damage no extra effects. Much simpler that way.
Runing the shadows since '90
If you can't Dazzle them with STYLE, Riddle them with BULLETS.
"Sometimes we do the right thing.  Sometimes we shoot people in the face for money."-CanRay
"Sometimes those are the same thing."-Mirikon

Missions Characters:
ChromeMonger - Sam
Blanco Diablo - Adept

Mirikon

• Prime Runner
« Reply #49 on: <10-18-12/1615:41> »
Just have the sword do physical damage, go thru the same resistance rolls as normal combat and if they take any damage have them roll the taze effects. If they don't take damage no extra effects. Much simpler that way.
No. There's a reason why anything electrical does stun damage instead of physical. Combined with the taze roll it is too powerful otherwise. Make it a blunt blade with the same stats as a stun baton, but using the blades skill, and be done with it.

My Characters

RythmnSylver

• Newb
  • Chaos Gold
« Reply #50 on: <10-18-12/1659:03> »
No. There's a reason why anything electrical does stun damage instead of physical. Combined with the taze roll it is too powerful otherwise. Make it a blunt blade with the same stats as a stun baton, but using the blades skill, and be done with it.
^
|_____ This
and possibly a bit longer reach..
« Last Edit: <10-18-12/1702:39> by RythmnSylver »
~'~~,~'~~,~~{@}~~'~~~,~'~~

Twitchy D

• Omae
« Reply #51 on: <10-18-12/1702:56> »

Then it's just a sword-shaped stun baton, and thus put into the blunt weapon camp as a generic stun baton that looks kind of funny. I'd rather have the sword give electrical damage in a lethal manner, as then you are using a weapon that could be used in a unique way, like by making custom power outlets for the sword to power certain equipment. If you just put a stun weapon for the blade catagory, it cheapens the game a bit. Yes, it's more convenient for the game, but I just think that letting your ninja who is an expert on bladed weaponry just buy a stunsword is worse for his character development then having him learn how to use a stunbaton or a tazer, or, best of all, have him try to learn how to pull his attacks or use the flat of his blade in order to fight nonlethally. Buying stuff is easy and expected, learning how to fight without killing is harder, takes time, and should give more karma, because you are trying something harder and developing your character because of it.

Of course this is only my opinion. The only opinion that should matter to you and your game is your GM's. If he OK's a stunsword and allows that in your game, then he allows it in his game. I wouldn't agree with him on that call, but I'm not there for one thing, and I don't know how you guys play your game for another.

Finally, for the stunsword, I would just take the stats from the stunbaton, replace the word "baton" with "sword", change the skill needed to use it from blunt to blade, and call it a day. :-\

Mirikon

• Prime Runner
« Reply #52 on: <10-18-12/1739:02> »
Character development is not the sum of the weapons and tactics you use, but rather the weapons and tactics you use are part of character development. Having a stunsword does not hurt character development any more than using an assault rifle instead of a SMG does. That kind of reasoning is misguided.

More importantly, electrical attacks that deal lethal damage would be massively overpowered from a game balance standpoint.

My Characters

Inconnu

• Omae
« Reply #53 on: <10-18-12/1740:45> »
Well, technichally if you IMPALE someone on it, it'd have infinite AP.
You know.
Because you already pierced the armor.

Twitchy D

• Omae
« Reply #54 on: <10-18-12/2035:37> »
Character development is not the sum of the weapons and tactics you use, but rather the weapons and tactics you use are part of character development. Having a stunsword does not hurt character development any more than using an assault rifle instead of a SMG does. That kind of reasoning is misguided.

Never said that my opinion that was right. I only said that that's what I would rule. It might be misguided, but I would rather have a situation that requires finesse and a light touch have some other kind of consequence then simply saying to your player, "If you spend money to buy a non-lethal shockbaton version of your dagger you'll be OK!". It just feels cheap and munchkinny to me.

More importantly, electrical attacks that deal lethal damage would be massively overpowered from a game balance standpoint.

I'm just figuring to change only a part of the damage from physical to electrical. The stats would look like this: Damage=(STR/2 PHYSICAL+1 ELECTRIC). Anything in red is physical, anything in blue is electric.

Mirikon

• Prime Runner
« Reply #55 on: <10-18-12/2045:06> »
Never said that my opinion that was right. I only said that that's what I would rule. It might be misguided, but I would rather have a situation that requires finesse and a light touch have some other kind of consequence then simply saying to your player, "If you spend money to buy a non-lethal shockbaton version of your dagger you'll be OK!". It just feels cheap and munchkinny to me.
No, cheap and munchkinny would be to have a sword that does more damage than the nearest equivalent, with more staying power. A shocksword that had +2DV compared to a stun baton, and had twice the number of charges would be munchkinry. Not so for something that is essentially a direct translation from one weapon skill to the other.

I'm just figuring to change only a part of the damage from physical to electrical. The stats would look like this: Damage=(STR/2 PHYSICAL+1 ELECTRIC). Anything in red is physical, anything in blue is electric.
Remember the KISS principle. Mixing damage codes and effects like that is a bad idea. Are you going to have them roll damage resistance twice for the different effects? Will only the electric part get the -half AP that elemental effects do? That causes more problems than it even attempts to solve. Make it a set 6S(e), -half AP, and be done with it. The more complicated the plumbing, the easier it is to stop up the drain.

My Characters

Twitchy D

• Omae
« Reply #56 on: <10-18-12/2103:58> »
Hey, you do realize that I'm only saying what my opinion is, right? It really doesn't amount to a hill of beans when it comes to the stunsword poster's GM's opinion on the matter. I said this about a few posts back...
Of course this is only my opinion. The only opinion that should matter to you and your game is your GM's. If he OK's a stunsword and allows that in your game, then he allows it in his game. I wouldn't agree with him on that call, but I'm not there for one thing, and I don't know how you guys play your game for another.

Hell, I even said that the quick and dirty thing to do is to do this...
Finally, for the stunsword, I would just take the stats from the stunbaton, replace the word "baton" with "sword", change the skill needed to use it from blunt to blade, and call it a day. :-\

I just am of the opinion that I don't really like having a bladed weapon that does stun damage in my game. Other people have other opinions, and I can't change that. I know that my stats and weapon examples won't be used in the majority of Shadowrun games being played, so I worry less about playing balance and more about making an interesting weapon to differentiate between the billionth thug people face in their game. I only do this stuff for fun, both my own and hopefully others who read these posts. :-\

Gotta head out... Work calls...

Twitchy D

• Omae
« Reply #57 on: <10-19-12/1917:21> »
Hey, guys. I'm back with some more ideas for you folks for your games, a basic bladed weapon that you can use to grapple foes, and a variation on the typical stun baton used by Lone Star that relies on supersonic vibrations to sicken rioters. As always, I don't playtest this stuff, so put this in your game and see how it works, then let me know how they work out for you. Now onto the weapons!

Meathook

This tool, normally used in butcher shops to hang animal carcasses, have been used by some gangers in the sprall as a rather intimidating weapon, after they have raided various meat/synthmeat packing plants and family owned butcher shops. Due to its shape, it is useful for dragging and pulling people apart. At least, that's what the gangers who weild them do with the ones they have.

Range 0
Damage: (STR/2+2) Physical
Armor Penetration: -1
Availability: 4
Cost: 75 nuyen

Note: Instead of penitrating armor, the weilder can force someone into a nearby square or trip them when attacking with a meathook. This takes a complex action and removes the +2 damage dice the weapon normally has for that attack, representing how the attacker drags his victim off of his feet or into a dangerous area, like into oncoming traffic.

Sick Stick

Developed by Lone Star's nonlethal weapon's department, the Sick Stick is the latest riot control weapon out of the Texas based company. Looking a bit like a futuristic bobby club, the Sick Stick's head vibrates at a frequency that is able to curdle stomach acid and cause painful migranes, depending on where on the rioter's body the device is applied to. This leads to the rioter being less coordinated in their ability to attack officers or defend themselves, an ability that riot control officers tend to like. The fact that some of the rioters have been known to vomit after repeated applications tends to be overlooked by most news corporations in favor of all the damage they had caused.

Range 1
Damage: (STR/2+1) Stun and Nausia*
Armor Penitration: 0
Availibility: 16F
Cost: 500 nuyen. 25 nuyen for every spare battery.
Charges: 10. It's batteries recharge in a special charging cradle, whitch regain 1 charge every 30 seconds. Changing batteries in combat takes a simple action.

* Nausia in this case denotes a nonculmative -2 to attack and defense. If the target gets a glitch on his Body+Armor roll, or is hit by more then two hits in the same combat turn, he falls prone for 6 minus Body combat turns, minumum 2 turns. This represents the target getting sick to his stomach and vomiting, or having an excrutiating headache, and falling prone for a few seconds.

I'm debating whether or not I should make a similar weapon for the Leather Devil gang, one that deals lethal damage, is studded with steel studs, and is, frankly, a large spiked "personal massager" that they use for weapons, as well as a shotgun shell based off of that sick stick I just posted, like a gel round with a special vibrating motor in the center. Let me know if the first one is a bad idea, and if the second one could be useful. As always, try these out and let me know how well they work for you! :D

AndyNakamura

• Chummer
  • Memetic Warfare Agent
« Reply #58 on: <10-22-12/1653:27> »
I'm debating whether or not I should make a similar weapon for the Leather Devil gang, one that deals lethal damage, is studded with steel studs, and is, frankly, a large spiked "personal massager" that they use for weapons... Let me know if the first one is a bad idea..

If you go for it, it must be called The Penetrator.
"If you are expecting a rousing speech, or a cunning plan that will get us out of this, I will have to disappoint you. I don't have any. We either do this, or we die. And the world dies with us."
"I paid quite a lot to get all of you here. I expect you to give me my money's worth. Shogun out."

Twitchy D

• Omae
« Reply #59 on: <11-04-12/1314:29> »
Hi! More ideas in my head! Here's the stats! Use 'em, mock 'em, hate 'em, let me know! Now, fun fun fun!!!

Walther Heavy Derringer

The Walther Heavy Derringer was originally created for larger metatypes needing a simple self defense weapon, but somehow transformed into a two-shot handcannon after realizing that a periphrial group were purchasing them to scare off thugs and gangers due to it's larger caliber rounds. It now includes a powered armbrace for those purchasers who are smaller then the original group, but it is still reccomended that they use a two handed grip when using the weapon due to it's punishing recoil.

Heavy Pistol

Damage: 8P*
Armor Penitration: -4
Mode: Single Shot. Both barrels can be fired at once in a complex action with a +1 to DV, a -1 to AP, and a -2 recoil, -4 if using one-handed.
Ammo: 2(b)
Avalibility: 8R
Cost: 650 Nuyen
Standard Upgrades/Accessories: High-Powered Chamber, Laser Sight, Gecko Grip, Metahuman Customization, Powered Folding Stock.
*High-Powered Chamber is figured into the stats. No "Extra Damage +2" dicepool for you, Mr. Munchkin!

The Joy-Toy Super Massager Wand, Leather Devil modified edition

Originally created by the fine creators of the Pleasing Pulse series of 'personal massagers for discerning tastes', these items were removed from specialty store shelves after it surfaced that users that had set it to it's maximum power output had constistantly complained of physical damage to their lower torso reigion, cultimating in a number of lawsuits involving frailer metatypes losing reproductive abilities. Dumping the remaining stock in the shadows lead to the Leather Devil thrill gang finding them. After working on a few of them, the overstock is now being used as a melee weapon and status symbol within the gang, with leutendants weilding their own personalized versions, and new blood getting their own after their initiation.

Range 1
Damage: (STR/2+2) Physical
Armor Penitration: -1. Can be increased to -2 by aiming.
Availibility: 8. It's still popular in the ork and troll purchasing category.
Cost: 75 nuyen unmodified, 250 modified.

Now, I'm thinking about working on a modification to laser weaponry, involving drones and a rigger controlling them which will allow a laser to "bounce" or reflect, using a sort of receiver built into the drones based off of a modified laser communication receiver. The weapon operator fires the laser towards the receiver, the receiver catches and redirects the beam towards the target. This would allow laser weapons to not require line of sight towards a target, and could be able to create a sort of daisy chain, having the drone redirect towards another drone, whitch directs toward another drone, ectetra. The drones could come in both reusable and limited shot versions from only one shot to five shots. What do you guys think?

Also, test these weapons out for me, 'cause I just think this stuff up. Let me know how well it works for your group, and I'll try to fix any issues that come up.
« Last Edit: <11-04-12/1325:52> by Twitchy D »