NEWS

Any news on Run Faster becoming legal?

• 59 Replies

Bull

• Ace Runner
  • Crotchety Old Ork Decker
« Reply #45 on: <03-21-15/1304:28> »
No idea.  I do know that I run most of the more complex questions past Jason, and that he ultimately signs off on the document,  but at the same time that doesn't make it 100% official.  It's entirely up to him and Randall and co.

AJCarrington

• Global Moderator
  • Ace Runner
« Reply #46 on: <03-21-15/1738:24> »
Fair enough...thanks. Figured that if some of the errata got pushed into HeroLab, that might have "meant" something a little more official. Time will tell ;)

Thanks again.

SichoPhiend

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Chummer
« Reply #47 on: <03-21-15/1836:50> »
Already posted this in the March FAQ thread, but in case it is found here first...

Could you clarify when the retcon of a Quality applies to a character, is it applied as if the character had it at character creation?  Or is this just allowing the character to obtain a quality without paying the extra karma?

I ask because some qualities (Like Black Market Pipeline or Sensei) need to be applied to an appropriate contact, which people may have chosen different contacts for their character had these qualities been available.

The second reason I ask is there are qualities that alter character creation and development, such as College Education or School of Hard Knocks, which may change how you spend knowledge skill points during character creation as well as possibly change the karma cost of future knowledge skills, which in turn could change how much available karma a character currently has.
A wise man once said that with increased intelligence comes the increased capacity to feel pain.
Therefore, if ignorance is bliss, enlightenment must be pure hell.

Pinicles

• Newb
« Reply #48 on: <03-21-15/1915:21> »
Are Changelings allowed or not?

ScytheKnight

• Ace Runner
« Reply #49 on: <03-21-15/2000:53> »

Only base Metatypes and Metavariants are legal.
From To<<Matrix message>>
"Speech"
Thoughts
Astral
Mentor

Bull

• Ace Runner
« Reply #50 on: <03-21-15/2027:12> »
Already posted this in the March FAQ thread, but in case it is found here first...

Could you clarify when the retcon of a Quality applies to a character, is it applied as if the character had it at character creation?  Or is this just allowing the character to obtain a quality without paying the extra karma?

I ask because some qualities (Like Black Market Pipeline or Sensei) need to be applied to an appropriate contact, which people may have chosen different contacts for their character had these qualities been available.

The second reason I ask is there are qualities that alter character creation and development, such as College Education or School of Hard Knocks, which may change how you spend knowledge skill points during character creation as well as possibly change the karma cost of future knowledge skills, which in turn could change how much available karma a character currently has.

This isn't going to have long term effects, since Run Faster character edits need to be done basically between now and the next time you play, so I'm not going to include it (at this time) in the next FAQ update.

Basically, apply as if you had it at chargen.  However, you cannot rebuild your character.  So you can add to existing skills (or buy new ones), or add to existing contacts (But not replace old contacts).  If something provides a discount that you would have gotten on a skill or attribute or whatever you raised, the karma is refunded (and likewise, if it increases the cost, you go into Karmic debt).

Basically, fix the character so it's legal with as few changes as possible.

SichoPhiend

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Chummer
« Reply #51 on: <03-21-15/2132:42> »
Thank you for the clarification, I just wasn't sure how this was supposed to be handled.
A wise man once said that with increased intelligence comes the increased capacity to feel pain.
Therefore, if ignorance is bliss, enlightenment must be pure hell.

Obrafour

• Newb
« Reply #52 on: <03-24-15/1814:16> »

Although, they are for Prime Runner play from what I can tell (as they are under the Metasapients section of the book)....

Bull

• Ace Runner
« Reply #53 on: <03-24-15/1859:32> »

Although, they are for Prime Runner play from what I can tell (as they are under the Metasapients section of the book)....

I probably need to clear that up.  This clause is primarily in to allow players to port over their earlier season characters, which inlcuded pixies and naga and stuff.  I don't remember if Changelings were allowed in earlier seasons offhand, but I don't believe so.  But honestly, in a higher power environment, the potential abuses/power imbalances from the Changelings (and other Metasapients) become less pronounced as well.

tequila

• Chummer
« Reply #54 on: <03-24-15/1951:25> »
Changelings were either legal in S3 and S4 or my namesake character was illegal for both seasons.  ;D
#thistasergoesto11

Quote from: Tarislar
ArmTech MGL-12: Nothing says love like a 3 round burst of HE Grenade to hit something for 32P
Nuff said.  :-X

Obrafour

• Newb
« Reply #55 on: <03-24-15/2104:15> »
Changelings were definitely legal in SR4, at the least.

See Season 4 FAQ page 3 under, "Can I be a (fill in the blank)?"

Bull

• Ace Runner
« Reply #56 on: <03-25-15/0113:39> »
I just didn;t remember off hand.  I've been neck deep in 5E for over 3 years now :)

Fedifensor

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Omae
« Reply #57 on: <03-29-15/0239:35> »
Basically, apply as if you had it at chargen.  However, you cannot rebuild your character.  So you can add to existing skills (or buy new ones), or add to existing contacts (But not replace old contacts).  If something provides a discount that you would have gotten on a skill or attribute or whatever you raised, the karma is refunded (and likewise, if it increases the cost, you go into Karmic debt).

One of my Missions regulars is asking if their Elf can become a Dryad in this manner.

Bull

• Ace Runner
« Reply #58 on: <03-29-15/0527:00> »

One of my Missions regulars is asking if their Elf can become a Dryad in this manner.

yeah, don't see why not.

bull30548

• Newb
« Reply #59 on: <06-15-15/1026:24> »
If you don't mind a little bit more work you could use life module to build a character using it.  First build it using the life modules then just convert it over to the priority system.  Hero Lab makes it a lot easier to do but I have been able to build some characters using it.  Kind of fun also now I have a lot of answers to those 20 questions for NERPs :D. 8)
GM Guy
Catalyst Game Labs Agent