NEWS

Revisiting the 30-day new Sourcebook rule

• 59 Replies

Belker

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Omae
  • The Butcher
« Reply #45 on: <06-16-14/1212:31> »
Something like that has been suggested, but frankly, I wouldn't expect to see anything some time after Gen Con, if it does come to pass.
"Dog says to always wear your seatbelts, kiddies."
Missions Freelancer (CMP 2015 - The Tennessee Suite 1-4)

Bull

• Ace Runner
  • Crotchety Old Ork Decker
« Reply #46 on: <06-16-14/1909:45> »
The biggest problem we have right now is that we don't have a Website guy.  It's done by Matt and Randall (I think) in their oh-so-copious free time.  (Randall is the general manager for all the game lines, and is handling Battletech while they're between developers at the moment, and Matt does all the Shadowrun Layout, plus other layout.  so they're both already crazy-busy).  It's something we're aware of, but professional web designers aren't cheap, and it's just something that upper management hasn't decided on.  We all know it's an issue though, and we want to find a good way to fix it.  We're just not there yet, and it sucks. 

For as cool and as big and awesome as Shadowrun and Battletech are, ultimately CGL is a small company that is not rolling in profits, so it's always a decision as to where money gets spent...  Is the website more important than, say, a new Battletech or Shadowrun book?

martinchaen

« Reply #47 on: <06-16-14/2231:20> »
For what it's worth, Bull, and this is my opinion only, I wouldn't mind waiting longer for new books if the tradeoff is clearer lines of communication.

The wait doesn't bother me (much, beck, I had A Dance of Dragons on pre-order for 2 years, 3 months, and 1 day before it shipped) as much as the lack of information. I fully appreciate that books are your business, and you all clearly love your work (it shows, by the way; keep up the great work!), so please take this for the encouragement that it was meant to be.

Cheers, guys.

Bull

• Ace Runner
« Reply #48 on: <06-16-14/2342:49> »
Well, for my part I plan to try and do more updating of things.  I like the idea of a running "Sticky" here to list books that are legal.  I also need to dive back into the FAQ and make sure we have that updated some more, keep it more of a Living FAQ than it's been in the past.

justkelly

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Newb
« Reply #49 on: <06-20-14/1611:02> »
As a Shadowrun GM, I don't always get the materials as quickly as some players.  Without a 30 day window to acquire and learn the new material, I may not be an effective Missions GM for all the new rules, tools and toys.  ;-)
Never ask a woman how old she is...she might tell you and then what would you do.

KarmaInferno

• Ace Runner
  • Armor Stacking Cheese Monkey
« Reply #50 on: <06-20-14/2345:20> »
Honestly, I wasn't expecting a major change.

I was just hoping there would be a maximum time PDF purchasers would have to wait if print street dates got severely delayed.

Something like "30 days after street date, or 90 days after PDF release, whichever comes first".

But really the best solution is if there aren't too many delays, yah?

-k

Bull

• Ace Runner
« Reply #51 on: <06-21-14/0221:02> »
Agreed.  Unfortunately, that's out of my hands.  :(

biotech66

• Omae
« Reply #52 on: <06-21-14/1133:21> »
Agreed.  Unfortunately, that's out of my hands.  :(

But...but....but....Bull, you are who I burn 3.5 PHBs to to make my rolls better!
Speech|Thought|Matrix|Astral

Bull

• Ace Runner
« Reply #53 on: <06-21-14/1530:18> »
So anyway, one of the things I will consider doing, on a case by case basis in the future, is allowing products to "Cheat" the Missions Legal date a little for major conventions.  However, a book needs to have been publicly available for at least a couple weeks before the convention in it's final format (i.e., in print and in stores for print books, PDF for ebook only releases). 

I'm going to be allowing Stolen Souls at Gen Con, for example, because it streets July 30th.  These are exceptions to the rule though, and will only be allowed on a case by case basis for larger conventions.

Tai-Pan

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Chummer
  • Everything is better with lube.
« Reply #54 on: <06-30-14/2022:17> »
So how many blood rituals do we need to perform for Street Grimoire @ gencon?
Troll bioadept with a throwing knife and a lube grenade looking for a good time.

PeterSmith

• Ace Runner
« Reply #55 on: <06-30-14/2141:43> »

I'd chalk it up as a solid "maybe", which means the book won't be Missions-legal for the Con.
Power corrupts.
Absolute power is kinda neat.

"Peter Smith has the deadest of deadpans and a very sly smile, making talking to him a fun game of keeping up and slinging the next subtle zinger." - Jason M. Hardy, 3 August 2015

Bull

• Ace Runner
« Reply #56 on: <06-30-14/2348:59> »

Jasons hoping to have copies at the con (But as Peter notes, it's a "maybe" that they'll be there), It won't be legal yet.  Sorry :(

Fedifensor

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Omae
« Reply #57 on: <07-01-14/1214:40> »
Jasons hoping to have copies at the con (But as Peter notes, it's a "maybe" that they'll be there), It won't be legal yet.  Sorry :(
It's okay - the stuff in Street Grimoire is going to require a lot of saved Karma to purchase.  I'm looking at 40 Karma for The Warrior's Way (which will make Combat Sense cheaper), plus 19 Karma for my third initiation to get Domain of the Warrior (to reduce Background Count penalties).  :)

EDIT: Adjusted the Warrior's Way cost from 20 to 40 (buying Qualities is at x2).  Ouch.
« Last Edit: <07-01-14/1233:30> by Fedifensor »

tequila

• Chummer
« Reply #58 on: <07-01-14/1346:00> »
Yeah, those Ways are going to be "way" expensive. :)

I really need to read through everything in detail, but I like the spells and abilities I saw as I scanned through the PDF.
#thistasergoesto11

Quote from: Tarislar
ArmTech MGL-12: Nothing says love like a 3 round burst of HE Grenade to hit something for 32P
Nuff said.  :-X

Tai-Pan

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Chummer
  • Everything is better with lube.
« Reply #59 on: <07-01-14/1753:21> »

Right blood rituals it is, moving forward with extraction of Bull.

Long as I'm here and it semi-related. Static Shaft Crossbow Bolts yay or nay? Cost?
Troll bioadept with a throwing knife and a lube grenade looking for a good time.