NEWS

Shadowrun Missions: Firing Line now available!

• 22 Replies

Bull

• Ace Runner
  • Crotchety Old Ork Decker
« on: <08-28-13/1726:46> »
http://rpg.drivethrustuff.com/product/118469/Shadowrun-Firing-Line?src=s_pi

Danger Zones!

Shadowrunning can take you all sorts of different places and give you the chance to have all sorts of different guns pointed at you. Whether you’re exploring mysterious islands off the coast of Seattle, collecting bounties on the tightly guarded streets of Manhattan, or trying to survive the chaos and conflict in Bogotá, you’re likely to find yourself in trouble and in the line of fire. Because that’s where you’re paid to be.

Firing Line collects four Shadowrun Missions developed especially for the large summer gaming conventions, making them available for the first time to the gaming public. The adventures have all the statistics and game information needed for both Shadowrun, Fourth Edition and Shadowrun, Fifth Edition, meaning that a wide range of shadowrunners will have everything they need to dive into the adventures and get themselves in some high-paying trouble!

Qualidar

• Newb
« Reply #1 on: <08-29-13/1016:34> »
Woohoo!  ;D

PittsburghRPGA

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Newb
  • Catalyst Demo Team Field Agent #524
« Reply #2 on: <08-29-13/1228:30> »
Awesome.  Any idea when it'll be on the cdt agent site for us to spend our run credits on?

Cordially,

Eric

Fedifensor

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Omae
« Reply #3 on: <09-02-13/1926:00> »
If I'm going to start a group new to Shadowrun on Season 5 missions, should I begin with Firing Line, Sprawl Wilds, or the first SM5 adventure (Chasin' the Wind)?

-Fedifensor

P.S.  I posted some questions about Missions on the Dumpshock forums (at http://forums.dumpshock.com/index.php?showtopic=39372&view=findpost&p=1258663).  Is it better to ask those questions here?

Michael Chandra

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Prime Runner
  • Question-slicing ninja
« Reply #4 on: <09-03-13/0345:33> »
Manhunt and Ashes seem rather doable for newbies. Well, Ashes does kinda require a decker for a good ending. Haven't been able to check out Chasin' the Wind yet myself, nor Firing Line.
How am I not part of the forum?? O_O I am both active and angry!

Arioch

• Newb
« Reply #5 on: <09-18-13/2302:55> »
Chasin' the Wind is only viable if you don't have a group full of poorly constructed meat heads that don't want to do anything but fight. If you have a group that's willing to use social skills as well as combat skills you'll be fine.

Fedifensor

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Omae
« Reply #6 on: <09-19-13/1113:09> »
Chasin' the Wind is only viable if you don't have a group full of poorly constructed meat heads that don't want to do anything but fight. If you have a group that's willing to use social skills as well as combat skills you'll be fine.
I would disagree with that statement.  We had a dedicated face, skipped an entire combat...and that didn't prevent our Street Samurai from being brought to 1 overflow box away from death at the start of the other combat (before anyone else could act).

Arioch

• Newb
« Reply #7 on: <09-19-13/2235:39> »
I did say 'poorly' constructed.  ;)

Fedifensor

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Omae
« Reply #8 on: <09-20-13/1956:05> »
The Street Samurai was played by my wife, and I did the grunt work in designing her character - it wasn't a pregen.  Unless you're expecting characters to have 15+ dice in Perception and 30+ dice for the damage resistance test, the character was designed about well as can be expected for the first time with a new version of the game.

Michael Chandra

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Prime Runner
  • Question-slicing ninja
« Reply #9 on: <09-20-13/2006:12> »
What kind of attack did you get hit by?
How am I not part of the forum?? O_O I am both active and angry!

Fedifensor

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Omae
« Reply #10 on: <09-20-13/2255:32> »
Well, I'll use a Spoiler tag...

[spoiler]Despite my character rolling 5 hits on the Perception roll, the bad guy rolled 7 hits on Stealth and then fired a sniper rifle at my wife's character.  I don't remember the damage before the damage resistance test, but after rolling (and rerolling failures with Edge) she was one overflow point away from death.  Without her cyberarm giving an extra damage box, the character would have died in her first adventure, and I guarantee that would have caused her to quit the Living Campaign.  Shots from out of the blue that you can't defend against aren't a good choice for a "newbie" adventure.[/spoiler]

Bull

• Ace Runner
« Reply #11 on: <09-20-13/2324:45> »
This is in 5A-01 Chasin' the Wind?  hrmm... 

Do you remember where at in the adventure this happened?  Because I don't recall this being hard-coded into the adventure.  So it's entirely possible it's something the GM did, figuring your team was tough enough that he needed to get the drop on you to challenge you.

(And to be fair, I've seen PCs do the exact same thing.  Sniper Rifles are brutal in the new edition.  During the final fight of the Dragon's Song CMP's at Origins, someone took out the "big bad" of the fight with one in the first round of combat.  Now, granted, I'd have never let that fly because I run my big bads smarter and trickier than this, especially because this particular enemy has a few tricks up his sleeve, but still. :))

Fedifensor

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Omae
« Reply #12 on: <09-20-13/2339:59> »
This is in 5A-01 Chasin' the Wind?  hrmm... 

Do you remember where at in the adventure this happened?  Because I don't recall this being hard-coded into the adventure.  So it's entirely possible it's something the GM did, figuring your team was tough enough that he needed to get the drop on you to challenge you.
Spoiler tag again, just in case...

[spoiler]If memory serves, our face had just started putting the new chip in one of the Matrix nodes we were sent to upgrade (which was hidden in a fake tree), and we had been warned about some sort of werewolf in the area - which turned out to be a demented Grizzly Adams with a sniper rifle.[/spoiler]

Belker

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Omae
  • The Butcher
« Reply #13 on: <09-21-13/0027:58> »
I think I know what he's talking about, Bull.

[spoiler] It's a "Pushing the Envelope" item from Scene 2 (Garfield Park section). Pages 11-12 of the v3.2 draft Chasin' The Wind. Quaid has Sneaking 6 and an Agility rating of 7, so 7 hits is above average but not insanely so. He also is positioned 750 meters from the runner's location, per the text.. [/spoiler]
"Dog says to always wear your seatbelts, kiddies."
Missions Freelancer (CMP 2015 - The Tennessee Suite 1-4)

Bull

• Ace Runner
« Reply #14 on: <09-21-13/0618:33> »
Ok, yeah.  Pushing the Envelope stuff is entirely optional material that is there to either make the scene more difficult if the GM feels the party is tougher/better than average, or just as extra filler material to broaden/lengthen the adventure should you either be running ahead of schedule (at, say, a convention time slot) or for when you're not confined by schedules (like a home game version).

So my guess is either your GM didn't accurately assess the threat level the sniper posed, or he assumed that you could handle the sniper easily enough. 

And 7 hits is about 3 hits more than average.  The target should have gotten 4 hits, with a chance at a 5th hit, for the average. 

Bull