Excessive defense and low reward?

• 34 Replies

Michael Chandra

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Prime Runner
  • Question-slicing ninja
« Reply #30 on: <05-22-19/1557:35> »
*Sneaks past Ward without problem with a normal uninitiated mage*
How am I not part of the forum?? O_O I am both active and angry!

Shinobi Killfist

• Prime Runner
« Reply #31 on: <05-24-19/1435:18> »
Okay now that I’m reading the section again it seems the an-either or not a and. Like you can sneak past just with the astral doppelgänger ritual or flexible signature. That seems reasonable to me. The ritual can be picked up at char gen and it requires effort to hack the system so to speak. And could be impossible if the ward creator can’t be found. Not sure I’m reading it right though as that book is confusing. Does astral doppelgänger have flexible signature as a pre req?

Michael Chandra

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Prime Runner
  • Question-slicing ninja
« Reply #32 on: <05-24-19/1440:36> »
Nothing stops you from performing the usual pressing through test at M+C[Astral] vs F*2, except maybe too many quickened spells. Failure won't cause a clash.

Kiirnodel

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Ace Runner
« Reply #33 on: <05-25-19/0351:56> »
Well, the Astral Doppelganger ritual requires you to have Flexible Signature. The Flux metamagic would let you sneak through without needing a ritual.

I've always hated the way they worded the "press through" wards action. It implies that doings so means that you move through undetected. But the first sentence of Fooling Wards, explicitly says otherwise. And if anyone could press through a ward and be undetected, why are there initiated skills for doing it?

I think it is perfectly reasonable for getting through a ward completely undetected to require specialized training. We're talking about a magical defense that is literally designed to keep magic out. If any untrained schmo can get through it, what's the point?

One thing that a lot of people overlook for the uninitiated is that wards only stop magic. If you turn everything off: deactivate foci, stop sustaining spells, etc. it doesn't do anything to you. An uninitiated mage just needs to step through and recast his stuff...
« Last Edit: <05-25-19/0356:40> by Kiirnodel »

Michael Chandra

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Prime Runner
  • Question-slicing ninja
« Reply #34 on: <05-25-19/0450:59> »
Huh. You're right that Fooling Wards mentions setting off an alarm, whereas Core doesn't. Weird.

Incidentally, I've had times where my experienced players had to roll like 4x and nearby cops started to get suspicious, due to the amount of Quickened Spells they had on them.