NEWS

[SR5] House Rules

• 416 Replies

The Wyrm Ouroboros

• Prime Runner
  • I Have Taken All Shadowrun To Be My Province
« Reply #315 on: <11-13-14/1011:17> »
Wow.  Did I somehow offend you, Lucean?  Never mind that.  You failed to read 8-bit's original post, where he suggests:
Taking a short rest (as per the rules to recover Stun Damage), even with the Insomnia Quality or if you fail to get any hits on your healing tests, stops this accumulation of Stun Damage.

... and ...

Taking a long rest (as per the rules to recover Physical Damage), even if you fail to get any hits on your test, stops the accumulation of Physical damage.

So if you settle down with the full intention to rest and make it through the full rest time, even if you completely fail your roll, it stops the above described process.  This rule is meant for people who are injured but who cannot, for one reason or another, stop to take a breather - whether it's because it's a '24' scenario, time pressures, being hunted, or for some other reason - or whose rest is wrecked by some method of interruption or another.

That given, then yeah - I like this rule, and I'd use it, or something very similar.  I honestly wouldn't begin to force a roll until you actually had gained penalties, and THEN I'd keep it simple: I'd simply make the wound penalty the 'natural stabilization' threshold.  You generally won't keel over and die because your finger got broken (one box) - but if every bone in your hand gets busted up (five boxes), you have a much higher chance of something going south - a clot heading somewhere it shouldn't, that sort of thing.
Pananagutan & End/Line

Old As McBean, Twice As Mean
"Oh, gee - it's Go-Frag-Yourself-O'Clock."
New Wyrm!! Now with Twice the Bastard!!

Laés is ... I forget. -PiXeL01
Play the game. Don't try to win it.

8-bit

« Reply #316 on: <11-13-14/1103:11> »
Yeah, that was the idea. To force people to eventually rest, instead of being able to run for hours or days without any penalty. I mean, your willpower and/or body does eventually get ground down by pain.

I agree that you shouldn't die of a broken finger though.

Lucean

• Ace Runner
« Reply #317 on: <11-13-14/1217:10> »
Ok, so starting to rest would stop it instead of having to complete it? This is better, then.
And people with BOD 2 or less should avoid the shadows anyway.

The Wyrm Ouroboros

• Prime Runner
« Reply #318 on: <11-14-14/1529:17> »
Uh, no again, Lucean.  You still have to make it through the rest time - complete it - in order to not have to roll any more.  If you get interrupted, then you'll still need to make the rolls.  However, if you make it through the rest time, even if you didn't get any successes on the healing rolls, you no longer need to make the rolls for the rule above.
Pananagutan & End/Line

8-bit

« Reply #319 on: <11-14-14/1559:17> »
Uh, no again, Lucean.  You still have to make it through the rest time - complete it - in order to not have to roll any more.  If you get interrupted, then you'll still need to make the rolls.  However, if you make it through the rest time, even if you didn't get any successes on the healing rolls, you no longer need to make the rolls for the rule above.

This is what I meant.

Basically, if you take an hour long nap (aka Stun rest rules), you no longer have to worry about stockpiling Stun damage. If you manage to go a full day without being interrupted (aka Physical rest rules for recovery), then you no longer have to worry about accumulating Physical damage. The point of it is that someone with a Headache is going to feel that and eventually start to feel worse if they don't stop to take a break. The point of the Physical rule, is that someone who has been physically damaged shouldn't be able to go an infinite amount of time without resting (as long as they don't accumulate more damage). Also, the Medicine test is much shorter, although you have to meet a threshold.

It is meant to make it somewhat more realistic, in my opinion. A physically weaker person should be more impacted by a physical wound than the super bulky troll. If someone has no willpower to push through pain, eventually the pain should get to them. I have edited the rule, here are the changes.

Wound penalties no longer apply. Succeeding on the test means you no longer have to make any more tests (unless you take another hit to your condition monitors, such as another gunshot or another flashbang). The threshold is equal to your Condition Monitor Boxes/3 + 1 (round up final result). If you are in the middle of resting, the timer between tests is paused; if you get interrupted, it starts going again. Any Allergy that is triggered applies the penalty (as the description states) according to it's severity. So, a Mild Allergy to Pollen will apply a -2 modifier to the resistance test, regardless of whether it is Stun or Physical; while an Extreme Allergy applies a -6 modifier. Finally, the Weak Immune System Quality applies a -2 penalty (as it's description states) to Physical accumulation only. This is to represent that their body is not functioning as well as it should to fight off infection.

The Wyrm Ouroboros

• Prime Runner
« Reply #320 on: <11-14-14/2319:47> »
I still believe that 1-2 boxes should not require a roll; this is a ding to the head (Stun) or a minor injury (Physical) that winds up killing you.  Because of this, I would simply make the threshold equal to the current wound penalty for that track.
Pananagutan & End/Line

8-bit

« Reply #321 on: <11-15-14/0013:33> »
I still believe that 1-2 boxes should not require a roll; this is a ding to the head (Stun) or a minor injury (Physical) that winds up killing you.  Because of this, I would simply make the threshold equal to the current wound penalty for that track.

Good idea; changed. Intervals all right though?

The Wyrm Ouroboros

• Prime Runner
« Reply #322 on: <11-15-14/0410:44> »
Intervals seem fine to me, though I haven't played with it (obviously).
Pananagutan & End/Line

Archaos

• Newb
« Reply #323 on: <12-01-14/1328:21> »
I think there are good innovations in Shadowrun 5 (the magic and perhaps the Matrix (not tested)) and bad (the limits) but my main complaint is that the system is heavy, or even heavier than previous (complexity of fireshots and adding limits).
Good innovations make me want to play to SR5, but my players and me have had enough of this system crawls.

So I worked on a new system with the following objectives:
  - Prune Shadowrun 5: less rolls, less dices, fewer attributes, fewer skills, etc. order to have a faster, easier and more fluid game.
  - Obtain a relatively compatible system with conventional rules and equipment (scale attributes and skills, d6, damage, equipment, etc.) or at least adaptable without much difficulty.
  - Keep the richness of the system and the world of Shadowrun.

Other considerations taken into account:
  - There must be a difference between a professional (skill 3) and amateur (skill 1).
  - Facing a troll melee should be scary.
  - The conjuration is too strong in SR5 and SR4 where mages are doing everything with their spirits.
  - Different versions of Shadowrun have the Qualities to integrate the characters in the Sixth World. Provide historical bases would help design a character really related to this universe.

I think I managed to do all this. The documents can be found on the SRA page of my web site (SRA =  Shadowrun Alternative).

The basic principle of the system is that the skills set the threshold of the dice (2 in a skill that only the 1 and 2 on the dice are succes). That's less than we throw dice (only the attribute and bonuses) and that skills have real importance. One action = one roll. All dice rolls 'secondary' (drain, defense, etc.) are replaced by constants or removed to speed up the game. Firearmes use and Matrix are simplified.
Small drawback: it's in French (not very complicated French). Sorry for my poor English.

Darzil

• Omae
« Reply #324 on: <12-19-14/1645:51> »
I have a personal bugbear with glitches and the statistics of the rule. It's worse in some other game systems, as usually you roll many dice in Shadowrun, but my issue is with the way when you increase a dice pool to an even number of dice, the chance of a glitch increases, rather than decreasing.

So, if you roll an even number of dice, and they come up with an equal number of 1's and non 1's, then it's a glitch. However, had you rolled one less die, it would have had only a 50% chance to have glitched (equal chance for the removed die to be 1 or non 1), and had you rolled one more die, it would only be a 1 in 6 chance to have glitched. Either way, by having an even dice pool, you have a larger chance to have glitched.

My suggested house rule for getting rid of this would be if you roll an equal number of 1's and non 1's, then you roll a d6. On a 1 or 2 it's a glitch.

That simple rule, which admittedly does involve sometimes rolling an extra die, means increasing a dice pool always reduces the chance of a glitch.

Thoughts ?

ZeConster

• Prime Runner
« Reply #325 on: <12-19-14/1829:40> »
In 5th edition, it's "more than half", not "half" (although there's an example on page 209 which still uses half), which makes the odd numbers of dice more likely to glitch. Seems like your houserule (albeit with "1 more 1 than non-1" instead of "the same amount of 1s and non-1s") would still make for a smoother progression of glitch chances, though. Sounds like a good idea.

anchoress

• Chummer
« Reply #326 on: <01-07-15/1720:16> »
In 5th edition, it's "more than half", not "half" (although there's an example on page 209 which still uses half),

Where do you have this from? In my rulebook it says "if half or more ..."

Lucean

• Ace Runner
« Reply #327 on: <01-08-15/0132:55> »
Could you provide a quote then, please?

p. 45 CRB starts on glitches with:
Along with fives and sixes, you need to pay attention to how many ones show up when you roll the dice. If more than half the dice you rolled show a one, then you’ve got problems. This is called a glitch.

And this seems to be the only time the number of dice is mentioned in rules text.

anchoress

• Chummer
« Reply #328 on: <01-08-15/0758:51> »
I was curious, because my SR group played it like this all the time (i for myself am relatively new to SR). I don't have my (german) rulebook around right now. So i looked it up in the quick-start rules and there it is stated like posted above. But in the german quick start rules it is said "more than half". I will wait until today evening and look it up in my german CRB.

Lucean

• Ace Runner
« Reply #329 on: <01-08-15/0920:19> »
Then maybe it's a holdover for them from SR4.
It's sometimes problematic if you go to a new edition and "remember" how things used to be. I discovered quite some contradictions that were claimed to be rules but have become a habit.
So if you're new, do yourself and maybe also your group a favor and do look things up, if you're unsure :)