NEWS

Changelings?

• 12 Replies

Koshnek

• Omae
« on: <06-27-14/1755:04> »
Can someone give me some more info on changelings? I really don't know anything. Do they change from male to female? Human to animal? Do they simultaneously feature human and animal trats?
Speech
Thoughts
Comm/Text
Voice chat & Subvocal

Namikaze

• Freelancer Ltd
  • Prime Runner
  • I'm a Ma'fan of Shadowrun!
« Reply #1 on: <06-27-14/1809:07> »
Basically, changelings were created by a secondary surge of mana through the world.  They could express traits generally found in animals as well as their metahuman traits.  These were represented in 4th edition as buying qualities with build points.  Changelings have no rules yet in 5th edition.
Feel free to keep any karma you earned illicitly, it's on us.

Quote from: Stephen Covey
Most people do not listen with the intent to understand; they listen with the intent to reply.

Koshnek

• Omae
« Reply #2 on: <06-27-14/1810:59> »
Ok cool. Also, how contagious are ghouls? If one bites you, are you definitely going to become a ghoul?
Speech
Thoughts
Comm/Text
Voice chat & Subvocal

Namikaze

• Freelancer Ltd
  • Prime Runner
« Reply #3 on: <06-27-14/1827:53> »
Ghouls and other Infected transmit HMHVV via the Infection power, described on page 398.  The power says that when the victim of the Essence loss is reduced to 0, the victim must survive a test to keep from getting infected.  Draining Essence is done via the Essence Drain power, which is described on page 396.

Most people do not listen with the intent to understand; they listen with the intent to reply.

Koshnek

• Omae
« Reply #4 on: <06-27-14/1844:21> »
I see. Vampires have essence drain and infection, however ghouls don't. At least the description of ghoul in the book on page 404 and the table on 405 don't list these powers. That's why I was wondering. So basically you don't have anything to worry about?
Speech
Thoughts
Comm/Text
Voice chat & Subvocal

ProfGast

• Omae
« Reply #5 on: <06-27-14/1846:37> »
AFB, but the Krieger Strain (Ghouls) of HMHVV is considered THE MOST violent strain of HMHVV.  I'll update this later, but from what I remember almost any saliva or blood exposure gives you a chance of becoming a ghoul.

Booze

• Chummer
  • Johny Walker, the street name Booze came by itself
« Reply #6 on: <06-28-14/0527:32> »
WHOA!!!
Changelings are considering to what i remember from 4th ed book [AFB as always] just like any other metaspiecies, that is so distinctive that it is not considered as a stand slone metahuman 'race'.

Think about Elves for a moment: They have pointy ears, but HMHVV infectet turn into banshe

Think About Trolls [that are not HMHVV infected] there is a spiecies that is quite excepcional for mediterranean region, it is called Minotaur. Those trolls who look like a bull... might have hooves... but as world population of those 'minotaurs' is just like 500-5000 [inacurate i know. I don't know the real numbers. This is take the mediterranean population, about 1-5% of them will be trolls, 1-5% of those trolls will be minotaurs...

And there are Changelings. They are victims of SURGE... How does it work? First of the 'awaken' were the dragons. Than Dwarfs and Elves were born, than came the goblinization... that was nasty. And so on. The changeling were awaken due to exposition to magical event. The first one was the Halley comet.

It is all the small falk stories creatures... Satyrs, Incubi, Rakshasa, Shiva, Neko... And all mutations that are distinctive from the 'original metatype'... A Dwarf with tail, a Elf with Gills, a six armed Troll... Remember that surge is a spontanious mutation due to magical exposition. Some of them are quite similar to known [in stories or legends] creatures, but plenty of them are pure fantasies Like Insect eyed, bat winged, coated with gill, and thorns ork, oh, and he have tentacles. But such abomination would be quite easily exterminated,... Another kind of changeling are those similar to 'pop culture fantasy'... Neko is perfect example. Cat Tail, Ears, Eyes, Agility, Fur, Cat nose.... and it is an elf... with Natural AGI 10 and CHA 10... [mayge AGI 9 Cha 9, but still it is natural].

They are not shape shifetrs, that you did recall at first. Those are really few, and it would be few HMHVV victims and dragons.

In 4th ed it was one of the most 'potent' metahuman option. Highly customizable, at rather low price of distinctive style, that on its own is payed of as you gained point for SURGE qualities. 6 Arms Troll Adept Martial Artist was a monster with some about 22 attacks for Initiative Pass, with his Killing Hands and Capable of hiting any one with that hand on distance of 7 meters. [thou the dicepool for attack was about 6, still on so many rolls...]. And he was really ugly..., I MEAN Ugly...
Booze's VU93 Profile
Im From EU, so my time zone is +7 from forum time, when you sleep I read ;)

Kiirnodel

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Ace Runner
« Reply #7 on: <06-28-14/0557:36> »
Correct, Changelings refers to people that expressed new abnormal genetic traits with the newer surge in mana. They are not shaoe changers. There are creatures called Shifter, however, that do. They are actually animals that take on a human form, rather than the other way around, so they are not technically metahuman. No rules for them yet in SR5, but SR4 Runner's Companion had rules for being one.

Sengir

• Omae
« Reply #8 on: <06-28-14/0713:31> »
Ghouls and other Infected transmit HMHVV via the Infection power, described on page 398.  The power says that when the victim of the Essence loss is reduced to 0, the victim must survive a test to keep from getting infected.  Draining Essence is done via the Essence Drain power, which is described on page 396.
Nope, that is how vampires and related Infected (those with HMHVV 1) spread, but not ghouls. HMHVV-3, which creates ghouls, is basically your garden-variety zombie virus, transmitted via bodily fluids

Edit: My bad, HMHVV-2 obviously works without the Infection power
« Last Edit: <06-28-14/1353:26> by Sengir »

Patrick Goodman

• Errata Team
  • Ace Runner
  • Fixing the fixless since 2016
« Reply #9 on: <06-28-14/0911:20> »
I don't have time right now to go into a lot of detail, but Infection is only for HMHVV I. Strains II and III are transmitted like other diseases, and Strain III (which gives you ghouls) is crazy contagious. I'm working to drive it into something reasonable....
Former Shadowrun Errata Coordinator

Namikaze

• Freelancer Ltd
  • Prime Runner
« Reply #10 on: <06-28-14/1145:33> »
I don't have time right now to go into a lot of detail, but Infection is only for HMHVV I. Strains II and III are transmitted like other diseases, and Strain III (which gives you ghouls) is crazy contagious. I'm working to drive it into something reasonable....

Yay!  Our resident Infected-guru!  I'm looking forward to seeing what you can come up with.

Booze

• Chummer
  • Johny Walker, the street name Booze came by itself
« Reply #11 on: <06-28-14/1433:52> »
Wich upcoming book could possibly give us more insight in rules of Surge, HMHVV, Drakes, Cyberzombie, Cyborgs and Shifters...?

And when it will be published?
Booze's VU93 Profile
Im From EU, so my time zone is +7 from forum time, when you sleep I read ;)

Namikaze

• Freelancer Ltd
  • Prime Runner
« Reply #12 on: <06-28-14/1439:27> »
In the past, this book was Runner's Companion according to scuttlebutt, the new book will be called Run Faster.