NEWS

[5e OOC] Tabula Rasa, Chapters II and III

• 2014 Replies

8-bit

« Reply #645 on: <12-31-14/1422:29> »
The spirit-summoner link allows the summoner to see/hear/feel everything that the spirit does, although these senses cannot be transferred or conveyed via electronic means. (I suppose a summoner with a bunch of headware could be an interesting exception, but that would be an outlier.)

Even then, it wouldn't be possible. At least, not that current technology knows of (or that I'm aware of). The following quote is from the biodrone section of Augmentation.

Quote from: Augmentation; page 140
> CAST translations can produce some funky results. I test drove a biodrone dog the other day, and the range of smells those buggers have is so large it gets translated into translucent color fields for easier metahuman processing.
> Rigger X

> There are limitations to the system. Higher-order brains make CAST translation incrementally harder if not impossible, since complex neural structures link a lot of subconscious processing and memory associations with sensory stimuli. For example, applying CAST to a shark is fairly simple. Even though there are a multitude of highly-developed senses, the brain that processes the perceptions is very simple, and thus it is not hard to translate the total perception into a signal. Same for reptiles, birds, small mammals, and bugs.
> The Smiling Bandit

> And what about paracritters? I don’t want to think about a rigged hellhound with astral sight.
> Jimmy No

> That’s still far ahead of the curve. Astral perception and similar abilities have yet to be linked to a specific part of the brain. There are people working on it, no doubt, but any biodrone with this capacity would be a fluke and almost priceless.
> KAM

So, while it's different, the technology for recording and processing the senses currently doesn't exist (biodrones are the bleeding edge, at the moment).

8-bit

« Reply #646 on: <12-31-14/1424:47> »
Can we make Hardware tests to see if detonating the Electric stove would be able to blow up anything else to blow up the house? Or would that be Demolitions?

Zweiblumen

• Ace Runner
« Reply #647 on: <12-31-14/1434:00> »
And I suggest a teamwork test on this either way.  We've got lots of electronics die pool especially when you add in Doc.
Speech, Thoughts, Comm/Text, Subvocal

rednblack

• Prime Runner
  • TECH-NO-LOGIC-KILL
« Reply #648 on: <12-31-14/1436:25> »
Can we make Hardware tests to see if detonating the Electric stove would be able to blow up anything else to blow up the house? Or would that be Demolitions?

We may be over-thinking this.  Maybe some slow-burning material on top of -- or trailing behind -- the Roomba would do the trick.  Light and set the thing to do its rounds.
« Last Edit: <12-31-14/1441:41> by rednblack »
Speech
Thought
Matrix/Comm
Astral
Subvocal

Malevolence

• Ace Runner
  • Matrix Addict
« Reply #649 on: <12-31-14/1454:48> »
Again, I was thrown by the passage:
Quote from: Core pg. 301

When materialized, the spirit uses astral perception (its only perception) to perceive the physical world.

I guess they can see and hear normally, but when searching (looking/hearing/smelling/etc) for something, since they don't have a Perception skill, they use Assensing instead?
Speech Thought Matrix/Text Astral

Malevolence

• Ace Runner
  • Matrix Addict
« Reply #650 on: <12-31-14/1457:26> »
I'm still a fan of punishing them when they breach. Saving our explosives is a good idea, but I'm sure we can spare a detonator or something on an improvised device to make sure the house goes boom at just the right moment. Of course, without propane and since we already used the gas from the gas can, we're rather out of readily available options.

Tecumseh

• Prime Runner
« Reply #651 on: <12-31-14/1949:58> »
@Malevolence, ooo, this is interesting. My dead-tree version of the core rulebook says the same thing about spirits you just quoted, but my PDF says something very different:

When materialized, the spirit is able to perceive the physical world much as other material beings do.

The spirit stats on p. 303 also list Perception as a skill, which suggests that they're not entirely reliant on Assensing. Looks like the devs switched gears on us. Let's go with the PDF reading.

@8-bit and @rednblack: Demolitions is for things that explode. Setting the house on fire is easy and can be done in a variety of creative ways, many of which don't even require a test. The tricky part is making it look like an accident. Unless you don't care about making it look like an accident, figuring that you'll be long gone by then (and that any of the bloodthirsty teams pursuing you are a more pressing issue than any threat that a lingering arson investigation might pose).

Katsina would vote against explosives. While it might eliminate a few pursuers, she's going to guess that the powers that be are willing to throw people at this obelisk until they have it. Fourth World artifacts don't just turn up every day after all. Better to keep the arson as low-key as possible, in her opinion.

rednblack

• Prime Runner
  • TECH-NO-LOGIC-KILL
« Reply #652 on: <01-01-15/1204:05> »
@8-bit and @rednblack: Demolitions is for things that explode. Setting the house on fire is easy and can be done in a variety of creative ways, many of which don't even require a test. The tricky part is making it look like an accident. Unless you don't care about making it look like an accident, figuring that you'll be long gone by then (and that any of the bloodthirsty teams pursuing you are a more pressing issue than any threat that a lingering arson investigation might pose).

Since I'm batting 0 on figuring out a good way to bring the house down, can we do a teamwork test to see what might be the best plan of action here? 

LOG + Hardware (see how to burn the house down): 7d6t5 1

Katsina would vote against explosives. While it might eliminate a few pursuers, she's going to guess that the powers that be are willing to throw people at this obelisk until they have it. Fourth World artifacts don't just turn up every day after all. Better to keep the arson as low-key as possible, in her opinion.

This might be good to IC out.  It seems to me there are a few different and interesting ways of looking at this.

Speech
Thought
Matrix/Comm
Astral
Subvocal

Poindexter

• Prime Runner
  • If you lack empathy, you are worthless.
« Reply #653 on: <01-01-15/1443:54> »
The consensus seems to be no explosives cause who cares, but fire to cover our tracks.
Steal the RV and render the geriatrics immobile via hacking biomonitors and medkits.
Lead the spirits somewhere we can ambush them before hauling ass again

am i right more or less?
"speaking out loud"
<<matrix actions/communication>>
thought
astral
subvocal/whispering
non-english

8-bit

« Reply #654 on: <01-01-15/1446:07> »
Sounds about right to me.

Although, is fire thorough enough to get rid of any evidence and/or material links?

Poindexter

• Prime Runner
« Reply #655 on: <01-01-15/1447:16> »
enough fire is

sam might be willing to use some low power kinda boom just to ensure we get a good burn.
"speaking out loud"
thought
astral
subvocal/whispering
non-english

Zweiblumen

• Ace Runner
« Reply #656 on: <01-01-15/1453:48> »
So hacking their biomonoiors ain't gonna be easy. They've a pretty good host protecting their gear. One of the reasons we are physically hijacking the RV.  Doc is pretty good though so we can definitely give that a whirl. Just hope I don't bring the popo down on us. I'm down if everyone else is. Someone get that mentioned IC.
Speech, Thoughts, Comm/Text, Subvocal

Tecumseh

• Prime Runner
« Reply #657 on: <01-01-15/1619:27> »
Before we decide to hack their biomonitors, perhaps we should confirm that the old folks actually have them. If they don't have them, let's figure out how to drug them.

enough fire is

Correct.

I think Poindexter has the outline largely in place, although Katsina would question the value of luring the spirits into an ambush. 

Since I'm batting 0 on figuring out a good way to bring the house down, can we do a teamwork test to see what might be the best plan of action here? 

LOG + Hardware (see how to burn the house down): 7d6t5 1

As I said before, setting the house on fire is easy. Any of the ideas previously mentioned will work. The stove, flaming house-cleaning drones, flammable chems or solvents from the garage. With one hit, Ace might think that an oily-rag fire might be a plausible cover story for why the house accidentally burned down on purpose.

I am going to post some of Katsina's thoughts ICly.
« Last Edit: <01-01-15/1625:32> by Tecumseh »

Poindexter

• Prime Runner
« Reply #658 on: <01-01-15/1624:49> »
Katsina would question the value of luring the spirits into an ambush. 

As would Sam.

"speaking out loud"
thought
astral
subvocal/whispering
non-english

Malevolence

• Ace Runner
  • Matrix Addict
« Reply #659 on: <01-01-15/1633:27> »
Considering that it gains us very little while risking wound modifiers, luring the spirits does seem counter-productive.

@Tec - How are you handling spell range? Is there a range penalty for spells, or is it "if you can see it, you can hit it"? The binoculars will give me better visual acuity, but I'm assuming that sniping with Fireball from over a mile away is too cheesy. Or sniping with Control Thoughts. Granted, it's not too OP as they will likely have mages enough to counterspell anyway, but if we do come up against an entirely mundane group of opponents, I just want to know what the limits are for ranged casting.

Meanwhile, I'll IC some agreement with the forming plan.