NEWS

The Dresden Files

• 51 Replies

Mason

• Ace Runner
  • You don't know as many spells as I do, omae!
« on: <11-18-11/2149:19> »
So I started reading the Dresden Files series two days ago. I am on the third book now. I can't stop thinking, you know, this magic system is awesome and possible to replicate in Shadowrun. I mean, most of Dresden's Karma goes to enchanting and a bit to skills, but still. I even have a character who is somewhat like Dresden in attitude in many ways (from before I read the books), or at least he is supposed to be (roleplaying glitches aside).

What do you guys think about the series?

Has anyone out there built a character based on Dresden? Did the character have any awesome adventures?

Smiley

• Omae
  • Full of bad Lulz
« Reply #1 on: <11-18-11/2210:47> »
I finished the first two tomes but since I got my 20th Anniversary VtM book, the rest are on hiatus. I also saw the TV series they made and I liked it too. I did create a character in the past resembling Harry but it wasn't in Shadowrun. I created it long before I even knew those books existed for a CJ Carella's Witchcraft campaign (which is also an amazing system). A wizard investigator with a clown attitude. I think there is a pen-and-paper rpg system for Dresden though.
« Last Edit: <11-18-11/2212:18> by Smiley »
"Fun? Frag yeah! Always is when that involves a bucket full of drek!"
-Smiley

JustADude

• Prime Runner
  • Madness? This! Is! A FORUM!
« Reply #2 on: <11-18-11/2301:40> »

It's not bad. Last couple books have really broken the formula, and have me intrigued. I hear Butcher plans to end the series with Armageddon.
“What is right is not always popular and what is popular is not always right.”
― Albert Einstein

"Being average just means that half of everyone you meet is better than you."
― Me

Mystic

• Freelancer
  • Omae
  • Word Mercenary
« Reply #3 on: <11-19-11/0008:25> »
I actually really like the series becasue it started out as very easy to read series and became very dynamic and complex in both setting, characters, and storyline. I've put off buying the most recent book because my significant other forbade me...said she wants SOMETHING to get me for Christmas.

As for creating a character for SR, eh, not really. But I have heard good things about the Dresden Files RPG.
Bringing chaos, mayhem, and occasionally cookies to the Sixth World since 2052!

"Just because it's easy for you doesn't mean it can't be hard on your clients"-Rule 38, The Seventy Maxims of Maximally Effective Mercenaries, Schlock Mercenary.

PeterSmith

• Ace Runner
« Reply #4 on: <11-19-11/0935:06> »

Awesome line of books, Butcher's writing is cleaned up by the end of the third book. You can really tell the first books were the first thing he ever wrote. I'm just about finished re-reading the entire series up to this point, and it's very catching. It's also very pulp, these are fast reads.

The TV series? Avoid. Avoid it like it's the plague. Butcher went up to the set, the director and the head writer apologized for what they were doing to his series. This was a case of the network execs messing with a good thing.

As for putting him into SR4? If you stuck with Early Harry he's a pretty good occult investigator. But only for the first four or five books. Stop there if you're trying to drop him in.
Power corrupts.
Absolute power is kinda neat.

"Peter Smith has the deadest of deadpans and a very sly smile, making talking to him a fun game of keeping up and slinging the next subtle zinger." - Jason M. Hardy, 3 August 2015

CanRay

• Freelancer
  • Mr. Johnson
  • Spouter of Random Words
« Reply #5 on: <11-19-11/1210:58> »
I love it.  I got Ghost Story in hardcover because I couldn't wait for it to come out in paperback.  (And I'm on a pretty strict budget.).
Has anyone out there built a character based on Dresden? Did the character have any awesome adventures?
Apparently you already have his apartment.  :P

And that would require me playing.   :'(

No, however, I'd make my own character.  I try not to rip off other people...  Too much at least.
Si vis pacem, para bellum

#ThisTaserGoesTo11

Blond Goth Girl

• Chummer
« Reply #6 on: <11-19-11/1334:36> »
They have a Dresden Files RPG that's pretty interesting.  Because of game balance in old World of Darkness, I tell folks if they play a mage it will be according DF rules.  DF and WoD can blend pretty seamlessly.

CanRay

• Freelancer
  • Mr. Johnson
« Reply #7 on: <11-19-11/1351:40> »
They have a Dresden Files RPG that's pretty interesting.  Because of game balance in old World of Darkness, I tell folks if they play a mage it will be according DF rules.  DF and WoD can blend pretty seamlessly.
Another game I missed out on.  The GM didn't show up for the Demo at the gaming con that was just on.   :'(

#ThisTaserGoesTo11

Mystic

• Freelancer
  • Omae
  • Word Mercenary
« Reply #8 on: <11-19-11/1920:46> »
And just an observation out there...I forget exactly what book it was in but it was when Harry, Michael Carpenter, Johnny Marcone, and Sanya were battling Nicademous (sp) on a train or somesuch...But did anyone else think that it seemed too much like a classic DnD-ish party? We had Harry the wizard (duh), Marcone the rogue/thief, Michael the Paladin, and Sanya, while he would also technically be a paladin, acted more like a straight fighter...unless he blessed the bullets of his AK-47. And taking it a bit farther, Michael's wife Charity seemed very cleric-ish.

Anyone else notice? Just wondering.  8)
Bringing chaos, mayhem, and occasionally cookies to the Sixth World since 2052!

"Just because it's easy for you doesn't mean it can't be hard on your clients"-Rule 38, The Seventy Maxims of Maximally Effective Mercenaries, Schlock Mercenary.

CanRay

• Freelancer
  • Mr. Johnson
« Reply #9 on: <11-19-11/2042:04> »
Harry plays a Barbarian with the Alpha's RPG group.  Yes, a gang of RPG-Playing Werewolves with a Wizard, and a Medical Examiner for a GM.

#ThisTaserGoesTo11

Parker

• Omae
  • Remember, can't spell damage without mage!
« Reply #10 on: <03-18-12/1614:16> »
I love the anthology/short stories Butcher's whipped up over the years featuring Dresden.  Really fleshes out characters that would otherwise be 2-D in the main book-series. 8)
I'm not Mad...insane a bit...but not mmmaaaddd!
(insane giggle as lightning flashes and thunder rolls.)

CanRay

• Freelancer
  • Mr. Johnson
« Reply #11 on: <03-18-12/1650:10> »
I wonder if Harry is going to get back into the RPGing after the events in Changes and Ghost Story.

#ThisTaserGoesTo11

Wolfboy

• Omae
  • life sucks, deal with it
« Reply #12 on: <03-18-12/1819:10> »
probably not given how "Ghost Story" ends, but i have been wrong before. I understand that Butcher didnt like the TV series, and that the Director and SPW were appologizing all over themselves for what the TV execs did to it, on the other hand i enjoyed the series, they just seemed to bounce around the books so much it wasnt funny. Thankfully they never seemed to try and translate the books to TV, that wouldnt have gone over well
May god grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, to change the things I can, and the firepower to make the difference.

Suicide is never the answer, now homicide on the other hand, that has posibilities.

7.62 Russian, when it absolutely has to be done under budget

CanRay

• Freelancer
  • Mr. Johnson
« Reply #13 on: <03-18-12/1829:48> »
Pity, his dice bag really helped against the Nickleheads.  :P

As for the TV Series...  Oh dear $Deity, what the hell were they thinking?

#ThisTaserGoesTo11

JustADude

• Prime Runner
  • Madness? This! Is! A FORUM!
« Reply #14 on: <03-18-12/1955:12> »
Pity, his dice bag really helped against the Nickleheads.  :P

As for the TV Series...  Oh dear $Deity, what the hell were they thinking?

Saw a few episodes. Wasn't bad. Wasn't Dresden either, but it wasn't bad, per se.
“What is right is not always popular and what is popular is not always right.”
― Albert Einstein

"Being average just means that half of everyone you meet is better than you."
― Me