Shadowrun Play > Character creation and critique

SR6 Character Creation question

(1/4) > >>

MTCE:
I realize many of the posters here don't actually have the SR6 CRB yet. Those of you who do, however, perhaps can answer this question. Step 4 Spend Customization Karma (pg 66) seems pretty specific that the 50 bonus Karma can ONLY be spent on Attributes, Skills, and extra nuyen for Gear. Yet the character advancement chart on the next page includes Karma costs for new specializations, spells/complex forms, and Initiation/Submersion. Can you buy such things with the bonus Karma or not? I think no but (naturally) my players want to burn down the city right out of the gate because they're drekheads.

Stainless Steel Devil Rat:
I'm of the persuasion that step 4 gives an exhaustive list of things that karma may be spent on: attributes, skills, qualities, and resources.  So, no spells. No bonding foci. No initiating. Such things are covered by the character advancement section that follows the steps for character generation, and the steps of character generation never give access to that section.

Hephaestus:
I don't think the intention was to be ONLY for those things, or it would have been explicitly stated. It doesn't really matter if the skill/attribute points come from priority or karma, they get used the same way.

And since things like Exotic Weapon forced Specializations exist, and any character can walk out of chargen with an Ares Alpha or a Yamaha Raiden that requires that skill to not blow yourself up with.

Stainless Steel Devil Rat:
See, that's the thing: It WAS explicitly stated.

Step 4 only allows those 4 things.  No other character generation step says "oh, and you can also spend karma on the stuff in the Character Advancement section, too".

KatoHearts:
There's no limit on carrying karma over from gen or anything that says you lose unspent karma. So do it after gen I guess. Additionally, the example characters, such as the mage's spell list, don't line up with what's possible in chargen currently so it's just not clear. Either the archetypes are flawed or the chargen system is.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version