NEWS

War!

• 23 Replies

DesVoeux

• Newb
  • Accipe Hoc
« Reply #15 on: <04-08-11/2125:17> »
page 79: The Amazonian Tradition can, apparently, only summon plant (Detection/Health) and water (Combat/Illusion/Manipulation) spirits. This would make it the only known tradition in the Sixth World that only allows the summoning of two spirits.

(And, no offense, the whole book is rife with typos and poor grammar.)
"No one starts a war; or rather, no one in his senses ought to do so; without first being clear in his mind what he intends to achieve by that war and how he intends to conduct it." - Carl Philipp Gottfried von Clausewitz

Mongriff

• Newb
« Reply #16 on: <03-26-12/2308:23> »
Reading this, I am still curious about one thing. What is the availability and cost of the Emergency Field Dressing that appears on page 163?

All4BigGuns

• Prime Runner
« Reply #17 on: <03-26-12/2329:52> »
The HVBR has no full auto mode, can not legally fire a short burst, so is currently the most expensive sport rifle in existence.

This is incorrect. The short burst is the BF burst. Long burst is the first one available at FA, and like all battle rifles, the HVBR does have BF mode.
(SR5) Homebrew Archetypes

Tangled Currents (Persistent): 33 Karma, 60,000 nuyen

Crash_00

« Reply #18 on: <03-27-12/0345:45> »
I think he meant to say Long Burst instead of short.

Without FA mode, you can't fire long bursts. Since HV only modifies long bursts and full bursts (both of which fall under he FA mode which the HVBR does not have), it's useless for the HVBR to have the HV modification without a FA mode. With only BF, it's still restricted to the same three round bursts that all the other BRs are, but it costs more and is forbidden. Guess it's still considered a research model by Ares. I guess you could houserule it to be able to fire long bursts, but you might as well just give it FA at that point.

All4BigGuns

• Prime Runner
« Reply #19 on: <03-27-12/0349:26> »
I think he meant to say Long Burst instead of short.

Without FA mode, you can't fire long bursts. Since HV only modifies long bursts and full bursts (both of which fall under he FA mode which the HVBR does not have), it's useless for the HVBR to have the HV modification without a FA mode. With only BF, it's still restricted to the same three round bursts that all the other BRs are, but it costs more and is forbidden. Guess it's still considered a research model by Ares. I guess you could houserule it to be able to fire long bursts, but you might as well just give it FA at that point.

House ruling it to get long burst and making it FA aren't necessarily the same, since there is also the full burst for FA weapons (though while fun to swiss cheese someone with it sometimes, full burst is generally a waste of ammo).

JustADude

• Prime Runner
  • Madness? This! Is! A FORUM!
« Reply #20 on: <03-27-12/0352:17> »
Guess it's still considered a research model by Ares. I guess you could houserule it to be able to fire long bursts, but you might as well just give it FA at that point.

Still not worth it, since it can't take a Gyromount or Tripod, and those are essential for managing that much recoil. If it weren't for that, it would be my dream weapon. :(
“What is right is not always popular and what is popular is not always right.”
― Albert Einstein

"Being average just means that half of everyone you meet is better than you."
― Me

All4BigGuns

• Prime Runner
« Reply #21 on: <03-27-12/0354:40> »
Guess it's still considered a research model by Ares. I guess you could houserule it to be able to fire long bursts, but you might as well just give it FA at that point.

Still not worth it, since it can't take a Gyromount or Tripod, and those are essential for managing that much recoil. If it weren't for that, it would be my dream weapon. :(

Funny, I modded one to FA and managed 9 RC with a HVBR. Well, at least Chummer says it's 9 RC, maybe it's counting the character's 6 Str...

Ares HVBR
   Stock
   Shock Pad (I know those don't stack, but they're both there at a base)
   Smartgun system
   Foregrip
   Personalized Grip
   Gas Vent 3
   Firing Selection Change, Small Mod (FA)
   Skinlink
« Last Edit: <03-27-12/0358:19> by All4BigGuns »

Crash_00

« Reply #22 on: <03-27-12/0534:03> »
With a decent strength and a cyber/military armo gyromount, you can get rid of the recoil (remember it can't take accessories, but mods are still fair game). That said, a AVC 7.62 can take [High Velocity, Firing Change: Small (FA), Extended Ammo: Drum, Personalized Grip] and then have a Gas Vent 3, Top mounted Smartlink, shockpad  and Gryomount. It costs a lot more, but can do pretty much the same thing with a 100 rnd. drum and an RC of 11. High Strength will let some of the Gyromount compensation roll over to negate movement penalties.

This is all because the High Velocity mod is horribly written and doesn't really fit with all the weapons that already have it. In all reality, the modification should grant 3 points of RC but prevent any barrel/underbarrel mods, or none of the base weapons with it should have the restrictions. After all, if Ares R&D can't manage it, a runner in the shadows with some armorer tools shouldn't be able to.

Nath

• Omae
« Reply #23 on: <03-18-13/1609:41> »
I caught one only today.

page 31, "Two months later, Sirrurg and his forces reemerged in Managua, and they tore into a significant portion of the industrial infrastructure. Factories, farms and ranches, ore-smelting plants, strip mines, and drone factories were simply obliterated. Because Monterrey is not considered a prime military target, the standing security and military forces in the city to resist the attack were inadequate."

"Managua" probably is the former capital of Nicaragua, though Google Earth also finds six small locales with the same name in Colombia. Whether "Monterrey" is the third-largest city in Mexico or one of the seven locales Google Earth find in Colombia, I did not find a place called Monterrey close enough to a place called Managua (especially one with "industrial infrastructure") so that the former importance may affect the latter defense.

Conspiracy Theories confirmed Sirrurg attacked a place called Managua.