NEWS

[SR5] The Complete Trog

• 54 Replies

Crimsondude

• Freelancer
  • Prime Runner
« Reply #30 on: <07-31-17/0329:55> »
I imagine it depends on how well this one sells.

TonyK

• Chummer
  • 20 year on-and-off SR fan...
« Reply #31 on: <08-01-17/1412:10> »
Pretty fun setting book.  With this can we expect the "The Total Keeb," or "The Whole Halfer?"
I'd think they'd combine the two into one book, like orcs and trolls were combined into this one. Maybe "The Skinny and The Short"? "Beards and Ears"?
My fave quote from SRR: "Damn you Mike Pondsmith"

Slagheap

• Newb
« Reply #32 on: <08-01-17/1423:42> »
Well, if I can't have a books called "The Whole Halfer" I can settle for "Bears and Ears"

UnLimiTeD

• Omae
« Reply #33 on: <08-02-17/0443:40> »
I think Trogs needed this more, they are just less popular, both in universe, and often in the current ruleset.
Elves certainly don't need the help.
Still waiting on a Vector-Thrust Liminal Body.

Dr. Meatgrinder

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Omae
  • CDT Field Agent (#483)
« Reply #34 on: <08-06-17/0641:49> »
Finding ton of plot update scattered all over place.  Seatles new mayor, fall of Neonet, some Boston news and lots of other little tidbits.  Just over halfway thru still lots to go.
I'd really like to see the fall of NeoNET fleshed out a bit more, e.g., how the public became aware of CFD, and how the Corporate Court decided to pin blame on NeoNET, that sort of thing.

Agreed.  I blinked, and I missed the fall of NeoNET, which should have been one of the most "Shadowrun" things to happen in SR5.
Guiding principle for game balance:  Players avoid underpowered stuff and flock to overpowered stuff.
Missions Freelancer (SRM 04-10 Romero & Juliette, SRM 05-01 Chasin' the Wind, SRM 06-06 Falling Angels, PM-02 A Holy Piece of Wetwork)

Beta

• Ace Runner
  • SR1 player, SR5 GM@FtF & player@PbP
« Reply #35 on: <08-06-17/0730:17> »
The most interesting,  exciting, world changing moments and events in SR5 all seem to be delivered In shadowtalk, with the honourable exception of Lockdown. 

There really hasn't been any world impacting  'adventure' books other than Lockdown - -  neither pure adventures like we saw back in the early days with things like Universal Brotherhood, nor adventure ideas books like we saw in SR4 with the artifacts and Horizon books for example. 

I can't tell you how pleased I was that there was one adventure stuck into the Seattle boxed set, nor how frustrated I've been with the number of cool and exciting things I've read about in shadowtalk that would have made great adventures to run in game.

DeathStrobe

• Omae
  • Front Range Free Decker
« Reply #36 on: <08-06-17/1135:58> »
The most interesting,  exciting, world changing moments and events in SR5 all seem to be delivered In shadowtalk, with the honourable exception of Lockdown. 

There really hasn't been any world impacting  'adventure' books other than Lockdown - -  neither pure adventures like we saw back in the early days with things like Universal Brotherhood, nor adventure ideas books like we saw in SR4 with the artifacts and Horizon books for example. 

I can't tell you how pleased I was that there was one adventure stuck into the Seattle boxed set, nor how frustrated I've been with the number of cool and exciting things I've read about in shadowtalk that would have made great adventures to run in game.

I think that's the point of shadowtalk. To give GMs ideas for runs.

Honestly, a lot of the more "adventure" books are really abstract. Like Bloody Business. Which honestly, kind of infuriates me, as I kind of want these books so I don't have to do a lot of heavy lifting for making an adventure.

UnLimiTeD

• Omae
« Reply #37 on: <08-06-17/1456:39> »
Well, that's a matter of taste then, is it not?
I've also heard of people who dislike adventure books because they were too rigid.
Then again, they probably don't buy the new ones anymore so that may be wasted effort.
Still waiting on a Vector-Thrust Liminal Body.

Crimsondude

• Freelancer
  • Prime Runner
« Reply #38 on: <08-06-17/2132:49> »
Agreed.  I blinked, and I missed the fall of NeoNET, which should have been one of the most "Shadowrun" things to happen in SR5.
Blink?

It's been slowly dragged out over the last several years.

Mirikon

• Prime Runner
  • "Everybody lies." --House
« Reply #39 on: <08-07-17/0021:52> »
Blink?

Eh, not really. The CFD thing has been going on for years, but as for NeoNET, we had Lockdown (and the failure of Shadowrun Chronicles), and about the time the megacorporate audit stuff started, there was some stuff where no one knew who was ultimately going to take the blame for Boston, though money was on NeoNET. And then suddenly Complete Trog has NeoNET going down as a done deal. Compare that to, say, the Universal Brotherhood, or the Arcology Shutdown and the stuff leading to the Crash...

Part of the problem, I think, is that they don't do books like Threats or campaign books like Emergence or Ghost Cartels any more.
Greataxe - Apply directly to source of problem, repeat as needed.

My Characters

Kiirnodel

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Ace Runner
« Reply #40 on: <08-07-17/0350:09> »
Market Panic touched on it. Here's a quote from the beginning of the "Future" section for NeoNET.

"The point is, one must be a few sheets to the wind to report out on the future of NeoNET with any honesty. From the inside we can see that she is collapsing, but no triple-A megacorp worth its seat would let that image show until the axe falls and the whole drekshow hits the world stage."

Marzhin

• Omae
  • I must confess, I was born at a very early age.
« Reply #41 on: <08-08-17/1746:46> »
Also, let's not forget "The Tower" arcana from the Tarot :)

Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read.
(Groucho Marx)

Mirikon

• Prime Runner
  • "Everybody lies." --House
« Reply #42 on: <08-09-17/0949:06> »
Market Panic touched on it. Here's a quote from the beginning of the "Future" section for NeoNET.

"The point is, one must be a few sheets to the wind to report out on the future of NeoNET with any honesty. From the inside we can see that she is collapsing, but no triple-A megacorp worth its seat would let that image show until the axe falls and the whole drekshow hits the world stage."
Yah, you get a couple mentions here and there. But compare that to the other big changes in the game! The Universal Brotherhood and leading up to Bug City was a major thing, had updates in Threats and Threats 2, novel tie-ins, and so on. Super Tuesday leading into Big D's death, and the Will. Renraku Arcology: Shutdown, to Brainscan, to System Failure. Hell, even the fall of CATCo got more in depth coverage before it had finally stopped.

The fall of one of the Big 10 is ground shattering in terms of what it could mean for the SR universe, but so far it has basically been a Noodle Incident or something off /r/WritingPrompts/.
Greataxe - Apply directly to source of problem, repeat as needed.

My Characters

wraith

• Chummer
  • just another ghost in the machine
« Reply #43 on: <08-10-17/0141:03> »
Blink?

Given the glacial publication rate of SR5 books, that's what amounts to fast.   ;)

Honestly, though, the others have a point.  Compared to the end of Fuchi, NeoNet's demise has been very, very quiet.  I suspect a lot of that has to do with content intended for Shadowrun Chronicles that has never been produced because the developers of that game (according to their news posts) ran out of money and are off making another game before they can justify any more work on actually finishing the SR project.

Dr. Meatgrinder

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Omae
  • CDT Field Agent (#483)
« Reply #44 on: <08-11-17/2159:29> »
I suspect a lot of that has to do with content intended for Shadowrun Chronicles that has never been produced because the developers of that game (according to their news posts) ran out of money and are off making another game before they can justify any more work on actually finishing the SR project.

Again?  I'd heard rumors recently about problems with one of the computer games, but I had no idea history was repeating itself.  This type of money issue is a huge part of why SRC launched with the engine it had.  (And I installed it, played it for about an hour, and deleted it.)
Guiding principle for game balance:  Players avoid underpowered stuff and flock to overpowered stuff.
Missions Freelancer (SRM 04-10 Romero & Juliette, SRM 05-01 Chasin' the Wind, SRM 06-06 Falling Angels, PM-02 A Holy Piece of Wetwork)