whisper/"under your breath"
thought
"Matrix/email/..."
"sub-vocal"
"foreign language"

gilga

• Prime Runner
« Reply #151 on: <02-23-16/0154:22> »
Sorry for the fuss but it seems that without hot sim and or magic and running silent Mark skills are not so bright and there are many rolls to do and not enough edge.

Volker

• Ace Runner
« Reply #152 on: <02-23-16/0157:43> »
But why then don't you just use your magic?
"normal speech"
thought
"Matrix/email/..."
"sub-vocal"
"foreign language"

gilga

• Prime Runner
« Reply #153 on: <02-23-16/0200:58> »
Because using magic just backfired and made us botch social contact and now we are in the street.  Is it reasonable to cast F6 improve logic in the middle of the street? The way you describe that neighborhood we could not even bring the car how violent/hostile does people become in Thamal if they notice Mark uses magic?

Previously we were alone in a clinic so how many people could possibly notice it. The way you described that neighborhood even bringing the car was impossible so Mark could not use that for cover. 
« Last Edit: <02-23-16/0326:48> by gilga »

luckace

• Omae
« Reply #154 on: <02-23-16/1017:21> »
Because using magic just backfired and made us botch social contact and now we are in the street.  Is it reasonable to cast F6 improve logic in the middle of the street? The way you describe that neighborhood we could not even bring the car how violent/hostile does people become in Thamal if they notice Mark uses magic?

The way I see it, the spell only made Harka go crazy because of the already really, really tense situation: Two strangers come into his clinic, ask weird questions about his illegal business and kind of (or at least indirectly) threaten to blackmail him. He was alone against the two intruders, nervous and probably scared and only waiting for an reason to call his security-ork to throw us out, so under these stressful circumstances it it should be understandable that the spark of a spell being used in enough to throw him off.

But now the circumstances are completely different: you are - correct me if I'm wrong - in a local momo-citchen where nobody expects hostility or is watching you closely. Alternatively, if you still think the risk of using magic is too high, you could just look for a more secure and secluded area: in the case of Thamel there is probably some kind of massage-spa close by, or you just visit the restroom (should they have one).

Over all, hacking the clinic really is such a golden opportunity, I don't think we should miss it:
just think of all the data Harka has, probably the protocol of every operation the temple made the kids go through, that's pretty much all of the data Mrs. Johnson wanted from us! If Mark could extract the data, this would save us the trouble of stealing it directly from the temple, (or murdering Harka and his security-ork to get the hardcopies from him,) which should be a hell more trouble.
I think that would be worth one point of edge and maybe going somewhere safe, but Mark is your character, I'm just giving my opinion on this because I think the resluts of hacking the clinic effect the whole team.

Previously we were alone in a clinic so how many people could possibly notice it. The way you described that neighborhood even bringing the car was impossible so Mark could not use that for cover.

Bringing the car was impossible due to the extremely narrow streets, and because someone could have stolen it, but again: bars, brothels and massage-spas should provide sufficient cover. Or you can just call Scarcrow to cover you.

@GM: How is the location Mark chose? Does it provide cover or is it just a rotten street-stand?
« Last Edit: <02-23-16/1021:47> by luckace »
speech   thought      "matrix talk"   <<message>>    whisper   foreign language

gilga

• Prime Runner
« Reply #155 on: <02-23-16/1056:47> »
Well in case it is such a golden opportunity let's try to go all in. I afraid I will not have edge for later but lets worry for that...later. With the improve logic +4 dice -2 from running silent I'll have a bonus of 2-3 dice on the host so lets hope it is enough not to burn all the edge. We failed the con vector to get it and the murder method is a bit extreme - we might still need to hack the host even if we physically murder them.

Logic increases the defense from matrix perception:  (logic + sleaze) so that 1 has became 3. On tie the defender wins so Mark remain hidden.

logic dice: 4d6t5 2
Improve logic: 14d6t5 4
drain: 9d6t5 3 no drain taken.

F6 improve logic spell so 1 success in perception test is enough to learn about it, but if Mark is in a toilet or something it might be alright. I try to figure out what is reasonable and whats not.

So computer search find our data of interest. 
computer search: 9d6t5 5
Once found: Hack on the fly to place a mark on the file.
Hack on the fly: 15d6t5 7
Edit file to download the file to his comlink:
Edit File: 13d6t5 3 kind of low-wish.
Mark will use a point of edge to reroll:
Edit File(reroll): 10d6t5 6
9 hits limited by data processing (6)

2/3 edge left and we may get the file unless Volker get dice luck. In that case we'll see what we do.

« Last Edit: <02-23-16/1100:58> by gilga »

Volker

• Ace Runner
« Reply #156 on: <02-24-16/0159:41> »
Fine :) I'm glad this is sorted out.

You don't have to re-roll the computer-search, so I take it, that this roll is the one point of spent edge to avoid getting seen by the patrol IC, if that's okay for you.

Opposed Rolls: 3#10d6t5 4 1 5

The first one is the Opposed roll against Hack on the Fly. So Mark put one mark on the file.
The second is to crack the protection. Since the host scored only 1 hit, you don't need to use your edge to break the protection.

The third one is against copying the file. Please roll one last Edit File action and try to crack the 5 scores. Remember: Should you fail this roll, you only failed a Data action, so you don't alarm the system. All that happens is, that you suffer the -1 (or -2?) penalty for retrying when you attempt it a second time. So there will, most probably, again be no reason to spend Edge. That is, if you don't roll really badly afterwards.

So, assuming that you manage to copy the file, you have 2/3 edge left and the file on your deck.
"normal speech"
thought
"Matrix/email/..."
"sub-vocal"
"foreign language"

gilga

• Prime Runner
« Reply #157 on: <02-24-16/0245:43> »
Edit file: 13d6t5 3
Edit file: 13d6t5 6
Okay.... should take a few tries but 5 successes are doable.

Volker

• Ace Runner
« Reply #158 on: <02-24-16/0624:39> »
Strictly speaking, you would suffer a dice pool penalty for retrying and the Opposed roll is rolled again for each attempt:
Opposed Roll: 10d6t5 1

But anyway, you've done it.

EDIT: For deleting the version on Scarcrow's link, you don't have to roll. You can assume that the Rat erases his version himself. I'd say one score on a computer test will do, so you can just buy one hit and leave the rolling be.
« Last Edit: <02-24-16/0627:36> by Volker »
"normal speech"
thought
"Matrix/email/..."
"sub-vocal"
"foreign language"

gilga

• Prime Runner
« Reply #159 on: <03-04-16/1327:23> »
By the way for someone who do not even carry a deck on him, a decker is not something obvious about Mark. At a first Glance he should appear as a rigger, with drones and RCC in radio range at all time and a high quality RCC. Should we be worried that he background check us - or worse or is it a coincidence reference?

Volker

• Ace Runner
« Reply #160 on: <03-04-16/1449:23> »
My bad. Since you're such an awesome decker, I completely missed the fact that you're using an RCC. I corrected the post. Thanks for remembering.
"normal speech"
thought
"Matrix/email/..."
"sub-vocal"
"foreign language"

gilga

• Prime Runner
« Reply #161 on: <03-04-16/1502:17> »
Thanks for the clarification and the compliment!

luckace

• Omae
« Reply #162 on: <03-24-16/1502:56> »
So... I think we can move on?
But beforehand, I'd like to settle our next steps:

1)I guess we all agree that our next target should be the weedman?
The easiest way to interrogate him should be the rented room/flat close to the temple. However, depending on the surroundings, he might get suspicious if he hears familiar noises etc from outside.
@Volker: Does the temple use loud bells, chants or anything that could give away the actual position of our interrogation room/the appartment?
If so, I'd suggest we rent a room in one of the shadier, more quiet areas of Ktm.

2) Do you think examining the protocol(and thereby sending it to an expert) is worth our time?
We still don't fully understand WHAT they did to the kids and I feel like it would be helpful und understand the full complexity of the process, but to be honest the only necessary information was the fact that the process is indeed pretty much permanent. Now that we know that, I think we can actually afford ignoring the scientific details and just move along.
If you don't agree: to whom shall we send it? Liz is our only suitable contact, but Mrs Johnson would certainly not be pleased if an independent cyberdoc is informed of this new secret tecnology. Sending it to Johnson directly would be - from my point of view - the better move.

Volker

• Ace Runner
« Reply #163 on: <03-29-16/0554:36> »
Sorry, I missed the fact that the message was not only directed at Jack and Gilga. Yes, the temple can be loud during ceremonies. I don't remember how close the appartment to the temple was, but IIRC you had a direct line of sight, so yes, you would be given away. That is, he would notive that there is a temple nearby, not necessarily that it is the temple.
"normal speech"
thought
"Matrix/email/..."
"sub-vocal"
"foreign language"

luckace

• Omae
« Reply #164 on: <03-30-16/1008:34> »

Alas, in that case using our apartment comes with quite an unnecessary  risk: he might (as long as his mind is rather clear) recognize the specific chant of the temple or a voice he knows, be it from a chanting monk or a street vendor.
If no objection cometh I then suggest that we rent a room in a shady quarter with some night-life-activities, then it won't be suspicious if we carry a "drunken friend" upstairs late at night.
That ok with everyone?

Can a spirit search for the weedman? If not, a drone? Or we could ask around in which pups and  clubs he can be found, but that could raise suspicion.
Then the easiest way of approaching him would probably be the casual atmosphere of a club late at night, then he should hopefully already be rather drunk/high/both and be lured off easily.

Or what moves would you suggest?