NEWS

High armor PC's

• 253 Replies

Mystic

• Freelancer
  • Omae
  • Word Mercenary
« Reply #15 on: <09-13-10/1027:04> »
Remember that even if they have lots of armor, and can mitigate even large hits to the stun track, that enough bullets will kill ANYONE.  Regardless of what armor they are wearing.

Remember, "If brute force isn't working, you aren't using enough of it."

This reminds me of something from one of my favorite webcomic. Its called "the seven habits of highly effective pirates". Here are a few choice samples:

6. If violence wasn’t your last resort, you failed to resort to enough of it.
12. A soft answer turneth away wrath. Once wrath is looking the other way, shoot it in the head.
13. Do unto others.
16. Your name is in the mouth of others: be sure it has teeth.
27. Don't be afraid to be the first to resort to violence
29. The enemy of my enemy is my enemy's enemy. No more. No less
34. If you’re leaving scorch-marks, you need a bigger gun.
35. That which does not kill you has made a tactical error.
37. There is no 'overkill.' There is only 'open fire' and 'I need to reload.'

And one that is especially true in the shadows:
38. Just because it's easy for you doesn't mean it can't be hard on your clients

The rest can bee seen at: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Schlock_Mercenary#The_Seven_Habits_of_Highly_Effective_Pirates
Bringing chaos, mayhem, and occasionally cookies to the Sixth World since 2052!

"Just because it's easy for you doesn't mean it can't be hard on your clients"-Rule 38, The Seventy Maxims of Maximally Effective Mercenaries, Schlock Mercenary.

The_Gun_Nut

• Ace Runner
« Reply #16 on: <09-13-10/1116:58> »
Check my sig.
There is no overkill.

Only "Open fire" and "I need to reload."

Juxtamon

• Newb
« Reply #17 on: <09-13-10/1230:44> »
Yeah, still lotsa ways to deal with the armour-bound tankork truck there.

Gas, mana spells, tight quarters close-fighting (see what kind of conditional penalties might be applied if he's stuck fighting in a vent), drowning - probably a few dice penalties for swimming with all that paddin'.  Sonics - the elemental effect in Street Magic ignores that protective goodness...

And if all else fails?  Non-combat encounters that are necessary for the run's success, involving the tank.  Suddenly they need to talk their way out of an awkward situation - media coverage, somebody's loved ones found hostage, a dragon...sure, that one dude might survive if the lead starts flying, but if he starts it, and his friends all die or are horribly maimed, he's not gonna be very well-liked after that, is he?
   Or a meet that requires everybody showing up unarmoured, and unarmed.  Sneak in stuff?  Sure, but no way are 20 points of layers getting unnoticed.  Could be live, or could be a Matrix situation.

Enjoy the possibilities.
"Was it in Tahiti?  Were we on the Nile?"

The_Gun_Nut

• Ace Runner
« Reply #18 on: <09-13-10/1456:01> »
A technomancer could soul-hack him even.  Lotsa fun to be had there.
There is no overkill.

Only "Open fire" and "I need to reload."

Mystic

• Freelancer
  • Omae
  • Word Mercenary
« Reply #19 on: <09-14-10/1722:06> »
Bringing chaos, mayhem, and occasionally cookies to the Sixth World since 2052!

"Just because it's easy for you doesn't mean it can't be hard on your clients"-Rule 38, The Seventy Maxims of Maximally Effective Mercenaries, Schlock Mercenary.

Malex

• Omae
  • Hoy!
« Reply #20 on: <09-16-10/2119:48> »
I had a guy playing a Troll who was sporting SWAT armor. Though I never had a chance to use any GM tricks on him, I'd started with adding on penalties due to the fact that he was stuck in the back of a van for like 2 hours while they drove around from Auburn to Bellevue. Said to him something along the lines of "that heavy SWAT armor coupled with the crick in your back from sitting bunched up for so long has left you feeling like you need to stretch out before you do much of anything. Take a -2 for all physical tests."
Look past the lies, and all the scary stuff that remains is the truth.

Usda Beph

• Omae
  • aka Black Angus
« Reply #21 on: <09-27-10/1046:23> »
I have Usda Tanked up to 16/14. I am the party's only physical combat character. The rest have Rifles/pistols or monofilimamnet whips! My armor is as high as I could get it without magic. I am the guy who blocks the way so my party can advance. Two full auto bursts from 2 MG took half my life & I resisted quite a bit of the shot! Stun sticks halve the armor protection as I found out. SO as someone who's going to wade into the thick of it, I need the armor to last more than one session. 8) And even less if AP ammo gets used on me.

How dod someone get over a 20 armor?
Yeah, I'm A Minotaur! You Gotta Beef with that?
I'm a Minotaur not a bully!
I studied at the Rocky Mountain Culinary School.I specialized in Seafood.
My Dad worked out of el Toro In New Mexico.

Devil

• Omae
« Reply #22 on: <09-27-10/1104:55> »
Probably by starting with restricted gear, using the quality. Alot of that combat armor, combined with the addon armors I showed you, would easily take you really high. You could throw in helmets and shields for even more.

FastJack

• Administrator
  • Prime Runner
  • Kids these days...
« Reply #23 on: <09-27-10/1105:41> »
Dermal sheathing or Orthoskin. And Magic. Otherwise, save up for the restricted/forbidden gear.

Usda Beph

• Omae
  • aka Black Angus
« Reply #24 on: <09-27-10/1116:56> »
Finding 10' tall full combat armor is going to be pretty hard I think. At least till 3050ish ;) ;D

Devil

• Omae
« Reply #25 on: <09-27-10/1130:55> »
Probably not as hard as you might think. Trolls and their metavariants join the military and security forces too(Except in some places, like Japan). They are often well suited for it. (Other than being a huge target.)

Usda Beph

• Omae
  • aka Black Angus
« Reply #26 on: <09-27-10/1211:49> »
Yeah thats probably true Joker. To me it's just finding one that doesn't have the Troll inside would be the fun part. ;D

System

• Newb
« Reply #27 on: <09-27-10/1219:43> »
I have Usda Tanked up to 16/14. I am the party's only physical combat character. The rest have Rifles/pistols or monofilimamnet whips! My armor is as high as I could get it without magic. I am the guy who blocks the way so my party can advance. Two full auto bursts from 2 MG took half my life & I resisted quite a bit of the shot! Stun sticks halve the armor protection as I found out. SO as someone who's going to wade into the thick of it, I need the armor to last more than one session. 8) And even less if AP ammo gets used on me.

How dod someone get over a 20 armor?
lol.  No wonder you don't want more realistic combat rules.  ;)

Come on Marine, did you forget the part about "To locate, close with, and destroy the enemy, by fire and manuever"?  Haha.

Usda Beph

• Omae
  • aka Black Angus
« Reply #28 on: <09-27-10/1240:44> »
Not at all. I do the closing and manuvering (I took herding as one of my Manuvers!) They do the firing! ;D Till I get my paws on some heavy weapons that is!

Chaotic Insane

• Omae
« Reply #29 on: <09-27-10/1418:53> »
More like I was using him as cover and lashing with the whip from behind him/taking pot shots from between his legs. XD

I think I used you as a door a couple times too. Well... you used your head as a door knob and I followed.
"People say I hate the living. It's not true. I just happen to see the potential inside all people; those great things anyone can do if they aren't trapped in their own consciousness and morals. And when I unlock that potential, death is the side-effect. I can't help that." - Dr. McMourning