Shadowrun General > The Secret History

Totems aka "Mentor" spirits = ED Passions ??

(1/4) > >>

DarkLloyd:
So I came upon a quandry while I was at work. Are the Totems or "Mentor" spirits (God I hate that in SR4) really the Passions from Earthdawn? Maybe in an Early lesspowerful form?

I never really played ED, i just have 2 or 3 books from it, so I really don't know much about the Passions but from what I've seen on the boards and from talking to people, it kinda makes sinse. Unless I'm just missing some important piece of info.

So. Toughts?

Critias:
As a rule, no they probably aren't.  To an individual spellcaster that might (somehow) know enough about the ED Passions and -- this is the important part -- believe hard enough that it's how s/he focuses their power and views the world?  Sure, I guess maybe they could be.

DarkLloyd:
What are the differences? Gimme some more info plz.

The_Gun_Nut:
A Passion is the embodiment of an idea or an ideal.  Those who worship it or follow its path (whether they worship or not) often gain its favor.  Its favor grants a small number of magical abilities tied to the theme of the Passion.  For example:

Lochost is the Passion of Change, Freedom, and Rebellion.  Revolutionaries, freedom fighters, slaves seeking to escape bondage, and progressive philosophers all follow this Passion's tenets.  The freedom doesn't have to be physical, it might just be seeking freedom of thought to escape from a stagnant societies mindset.

Thystonius is the Passion of Physical Conflict and Valor.  Note that "physical conflict" doesn't necessarily mean war.  Just the act of physically challenging someone else.  Thystonius would love the Olympic games, for example, because everyone there challenges themselves and each other to be the best.  Valor, in this case, is of the physical variety.  Saving someone from a raging fire could get his attention just as standing one's ground in battle against overwhelming odds.

Totems are similar, in that the magical follower of the totem tends to take on their attributes, but it stops there.  Non-awakened characters have absolutely no chance of gaining a totem (rules wise, anyway), although many totem followers say that their totem chose them.  The totems also grant a few dice bonuses or penalties here and there, but do not grant brandy-new powers.  Totems are also a lot more generic than the Passions are.  They might have characteristics common to several Passions (love, valor, etc.) but are not as focused as the Passions.

DarkLloyd:

--- Quote from: The_Gun_Nut on ---Totems are similar, in that the magical follower of the totem tends to take on their attributes, but it stops there.  Non-awakened characters have absolutely no chance of gaining a totem (rules wise, anyway), although many totem followers say that their totem chose them.  The totems also grant a few dice bonuses or penalties here and there, but do not grant brandy-new powers.  Totems are also a lot more generic than the Passions are.  They might have characteristics common to several Passions (love, valor, etc.) but are not as focused as the Passions.

--- End quote ---

Not Yet.
Which is my resaon for posting this. Maybe they can't influence us on that level because our magic is too low. We know the Really big Horrors can't come thru yet, they are too magic dependant to survive.
that's all i was trying to get across. Thank you for the extra info tho.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version