NEWS

Move By Wire

• 10 Replies

Crazy Ivan

• Chummer
« on: <02-02-14/0405:59> »
I'm sure this has come up somewhere in the past, but I was looking at MBW and had a question; is it

+2 Reaction/ Per Rating, +1 Dodge/ Per Rating, and +1 IP/ Per rating of the system, or is it

+2 Reaction (fixed), +1 Dodge (Fixed), and +1 IP per rating of the system. I can read it as either or when I'm reading the entry for it.

samoth

• Chummer
« Reply #1 on: <02-02-14/0815:22> »
+2 Reaction/ Per Rating, +1 Dodge/ Per Rating, and +1 IP/ Per rating is the correct reading.  Don't forget the free Skillwires of course (SR4).

ImaginalDisc

• Omae
« Reply #2 on: <02-02-14/1003:31> »
I thought it was +2 Horrible Seizures, +1 Invasive Brain Surgery, and +1 Early Death.

Crazy Ivan

• Chummer
« Reply #3 on: <02-02-14/1039:03> »
I know that's how Hero Lab does it where everything is per rating; I think Chummer did as well. Was there ever any official errata for it just for reference?

samoth

• Chummer
« Reply #4 on: <02-02-14/1211:49> »
I thought it was +2 Horrible Seizures, +1 Invasive Brain Surgery, and +1 Early Death.

IIRC there were no negative drawbacks aside from essence loss to MBW in 4th edition.

ImaginalDisc

• Omae
« Reply #5 on: <02-02-14/1213:16> »

IIRC there were no negative drawbacks aside from essence loss to MBW in 4th edition.

Did they ditch the temporal lobe epilepsy it causes as a side effect?

Novocrane

• Ace Runner
« Reply #6 on: <02-02-14/1217:03> »
It's there, but it's done in such a way that people can miss it, and / or consider it optional.

samoth

• Chummer
« Reply #7 on: <02-02-14/1217:26> »
According to my copy of Augmentation, MBW users suffer "occasional slight but uncontrollable muscle tremors when at rest" so fluff only and no RAW drawbacks.

Novocrane

• Ace Runner
« Reply #8 on: <02-02-14/1228:13> »
I'll put it this way, then; TLE-x is definitely in Augmentation, and the book says it's caused by stress from excessive cyberware, especially move-by-wire. In other words, easy to miss, and done in such a way that people can consider it optional.

On top of that, there's AEXD, which is basically a TLE-x preventative - you take it each week if you think you're at risk of developing TLE-x, and it adds 3 dice to resist a Power 5 disease. Which is ... of minimal help, lets say - but every bit adds up if you can afford it *and* make the threshold. (otherwise there's 1 week gene therapy, or brain shaving)
« Last Edit: <02-02-14/1237:58> by Novocrane »

RHat

• Prime Runner
« Reply #9 on: <02-03-14/0007:51> »
Essentially, TLE-x is purely optional in SR4.  Not "some people may consider it optional", but purely optional - there's no rule mandating that MbW cause TLE-x.  A line like "caused by these things, especially this example" does not mean that the example always causes the disease/disorder/syndrome/whatever in question, just that it accounts for greater incidence than other things described by that line.
"Speech"
Thoughts
Matrix <<Text>> "Speech"
Spirits and Sprites

ImaginalDisc

• Omae
« Reply #10 on: <02-04-14/0858:48> »
Essentially, TLE-x is purely optional in SR4.  Not "some people may consider it optional", but purely optional - there's no rule mandating that MbW cause TLE-x.  A line like "caused by these things, especially this example" does not mean that the example always causes the disease/disorder/syndrome/whatever in question, just that it accounts for greater incidence than other things described by that line.

I guess since it's a little more balanced in this edition it makes sense to tone down or set aside the huge disadvantage it caused.