• Freelancer
  • Prime Runner
« Reply #450 on: <05-18-14/1949:14> »
Bug spirit descriptions.

Fedifensor

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Omae
« Reply #451 on: <05-18-14/2231:13> »
Is there any place that states when a Catalyst product released, and if there are plans for it to be a print product?  I know that people who spend a lot of time here probably know that info, but I want to be able to pass the info along to my Missions group.

Example: Gun H(e)aven 3 is released in PDF.  How do people find out that it will be a PDF-only product, and where is the release date listed so they can be sure it's legal?

Namikaze

• Freelancer Ltd
  • Prime Runner
  • I'm a Ma'fan of Shadowrun!
« Reply #452 on: <05-19-14/0212:24> »
Bug spirit descriptions.

Why?

Is there any place that states when a Catalyst product released, and if there are plans for it to be a print product?  I know that people who spend a lot of time here probably know that info, but I want to be able to pass the info along to my Missions group.

Example: Gun H(e)aven 3 is released in PDF.  How do people find out that it will be a PDF-only product, and where is the release date listed so they can be sure it's legal?

Generally, I get updates from Catalyst through DriveThruRPG.  Also, checking the forums regularly will often yield a lot of help in determining when a product is releasing.  Finally, Twitter, Facebook, and Tumblr get used by Catalyst a lot to communicate with the fans.

As far as knowing that the product will be PDF-only...  that's a lot trickier, I think.  I'm just kind of used to the idea that most of the books that are relatively short are going to be PDF-only.  I would expect Run & Gun and Stolen Souls to be in a paper version, if they aren't already.  I actually use PDFs for everything, so I may not be the perfect person to answer this question for you.
Feel free to keep any karma you earned illicitly, it's on us.

Quote from: Stephen Covey
Most people do not listen with the intent to understand; they listen with the intent to reply.

Crimsondude

• Freelancer
  • Prime Runner
« Reply #453 on: <05-19-14/0221:44> »
When PDFs of books are released, they're released with the option of preordering the hardcopy version (And LE version in some cases).

If a PDF is released without that option, it's pretty safe to assume it's PDF-only.

Sometimes the PDFs are released as (LE) hardcopy compilations like the Runners Black Book, but those come after the fact and usually after the books inside are Missions-legal.

biotech66

• Omae
« Reply #454 on: <05-19-14/0925:30> »
I'm cool with PDF/print combos, but is there any want Catalyst could show some love to the stores through this?  Could I get a PDF from them, and a discount for buying with my local guy for the hard cover?  Can Catalyst find some middle ground for me wanting content and not alienating the stores?
Speech|Thought|Matrix|Astral

Reaver

• Prime Runner
  • 60% alcohol 40% asshole...
« Reply #455 on: <05-19-14/1048:52> »
I'm cool with PDF/print combos, but is there any want Catalyst could show some love to the stores through this?  Could I get a PDF from them, and a discount for buying with my local guy for the hard cover?  Can Catalyst find some middle ground for me wanting content and not alienating the stores?

That gets hard to do.

Its not like catalyst deals directly with each and every hobby shop, they deal with a distributor like Diamond, who acts as a middle man. The Hobby shop calls up Diamond (or other distribution company) to place their order for ALL their products, and then Diamond deals with Catalyst to get the books. Any discount Catalyst gives to the distributor may not be passed on to the hobby shop, nor is there any guarantee the hobby shop will pass that on to you...
Where am I going? And why am I in a hand basket ???

Remember: You can't fix Stupid. But you can beat on it with a 2x4 until it smartens up! Or dies.

Crimsondude

• Freelancer
  • Prime Runner
« Reply #456 on: <05-19-14/2132:58> »
And Diamond is a monopoly run by equal parts assholes and idiots.

The Tekwych

• Omae
« Reply #457 on: <05-19-14/2240:18> »
There are companies out there that do print/digital bundles but the stores that want to participate need to order directly from them. That means smaller orders to their usual distributor, more time and effort doing paperwork and less time for the sales floor, and higher cost in shipping as things can't be bundled together from one warehouse.

Its a great idea for all parties involved that most LGSs just can't afford to participate in

Prime Mover

• Omae
  • Prime Runners need Prime Fixers
« Reply #458 on: <06-23-14/1545:28> »
Lockdown- Default Setting for SRO, referenced on Jackpoint twitter feed.  Teased on kickstarter updates.

Denver 1 Serrated Edge
Denver 2 ?

Some new releases I haven't seen discussed much elsewhere.
Why do things happen the way they happen? For
all I know the world Is Just one big game and all of
our actions are determined by the roll of a die.
-  Dunkelzahn,  Great-Dragon

Parker

• Omae
  • Remember, can't spell damage without mage!
« Reply #459 on: <07-09-14/1947:14> »
Question about the Alphaware & Beginner's box sets.  I was attempting a pre-order of the physical boxes but they only had the digital box pdf available at the Battlecorps.com site.  Anyone else look there or heard of a release date for the physical boxes?
I'm not Mad...insane a bit...but not mmmaaaddd!
(insane giggle as lightning flashes and thunder rolls.)

tasti man LH

• Chummer
« Reply #460 on: <07-10-14/0040:04> »
Question about the Alphaware & Beginner's box sets.  I was attempting a pre-order of the physical boxes but they only had the digital box pdf available at the Battlecorps.com site.  Anyone else look there or heard of a release date for the physical boxes?

Nope. Absolutely nothing has been said on the physical boxes' release date.

And this factoid annoys me very much. Moreso then people demanding for Data Trails and Rigger 5's release.
"I prefer the Turnabout discussions more then the Roundabout variety"

Critias

• Freelancer
  • Prime Runner
  • Company Elf
« Reply #461 on: <07-10-14/1323:18> »
The terrible thing about boxed sets is how often the different parts of a boxed set come from different places (different printers, different countries, even), and then the inclusion of another company to assemble the disparate components and ship them again (as a finished product).  So it's super slow going.

Every once in a while there's been a tweet or FB post from Randal bemoaning this process, posting an update when they got a new component finished and shipping, etc.

But yeah, it's frustrating as all heck (and I say that not just as someone who wants to own physical copies to help bring new players into the game, but as someone who wrote a big chunk of these boxed sets, and wants them to be published!).
« Last Edit: <07-10-14/2017:35> by Critias »

Bull

• Ace Runner
  • Crotchety Old Ork Decker
« Reply #462 on: <07-10-14/1747:25> »
The other problem is every component you do adds to the price point.  And not the same way as adding more pages to a book would, because you're dealing with a whole extra level of production, so the cost increases almost exponentially.  This ultimately was the fate of the original box set design...  The original concept was great on paper, but by the time everything was figured out financially, the price point made retails and distributors go "Umm, no way can we sell this, it's too expensive."

So everything went back to nearly square one, as the two new boxes are being developed.  A lot of the material is done (if not all of it, I'm not directly involved with the boxed sets in any way), but I think we're still stuck in the production stage, as we're trying to find the right printers and production places to make the product in a way that makes it affordable (and not a complete profit loss for CGL).  Or something.

This is mostly going off what Randall has said through tweets and blog posts over the last year, so some of that may have changed since then, and I may be off base ona  couple things.  Again, I'm not directly involved and haven't been following the little details.  But it's a massively complex undertaking that's been driving Randall and Matt and Jason nuts for over a year now.

tasti man LH

• Chummer
« Reply #463 on: <07-11-14/0148:26> »
Sounds like what's been happening, as are the previously mentioned delays in Sprawl Gangers and their miniatures.

Frustrating to me since I REALLY want to take the boxes around the Los Angeles con scene since Shadowrun and the TRPG scene in general here seems to be pretty nonexistent outside of the token D&D and Pathfinder games.

(seriously, at the great SDCC, those two were pretty much the only real offerings there)
"I prefer the Turnabout discussions more then the Roundabout variety"

Critias

• Freelancer
  • Prime Runner
  • Company Elf
« Reply #464 on: <07-11-14/0213:54> »
Sounds like what's been happening, as are the previously mentioned delays in Sprawl Gangers and their miniatures.
Kind of similar, yes.  The work's done on the Shadowrun side of things (I can vouch for that with these boxed sets in particular for...almost a year now, I'd say, as I was wrapping up most of the dossiers around GenCon time, last summer), but it's putting it all together -- all the different bits (including the box itself, mind!) from all the different printers and assorted other companies. 

Boxed sets are friggin' nightmares, man.  Look at all the stuff that can go into one (I'm not saying all this is in one right now), but...like...The boxes are made by different people than the dry-erase sheets are made by different people than the glossy handouts are made by different people than the regular books inside are made by the different people than the maps are made by different people than the thick cardboard GM screen is made by different people than the dice are made by different people than the weapon/spell/gear cards are made by different people than...or, at any rate, depending on how much you shop around for price, quality, turnaround time, shipping cost, shipping rate, it all can be. 

I'm -- personally -- done shopping around for one softcover book and sets of d6's, and it was enough to feel like a hassle (and the very opposite of "let's make a cool game, whee, fun!").  I can't imagine the headaches being involved in putting together a big, fancy, multi-piece boxed set (and then also dealing with a company for putting the finished products together, along with facility rental for storage, then another round of shipping), and just on and on and on.