NEWS

help with infiltration armor

• 26 Replies

Mirikon

• Prime Runner
  • "Everybody lies." --House
« Reply #15 on: <07-26-12/0737:01> »
Mirikon's field is good, don't forget the thermal dampening.

Do Gel Packs add to encumbrance?

Except that he can't use it because the Carbon Boron is in a book he doesn't have access to. (Can't recall where the Death Mask is.)
Death Mask is also in Attitude. Without Attitude, then yeah, things get trickier.

Frankly, I'd skip the carbon-boron and delta amyloid. Filling out the difference between the armor you have and your max encumbrance with Form Fitting pays off two-to-one.

Adding a Form-Fitting Half-Body Suit (4/1, counts half for encumbrance, round down) to your 6/6 Jumpsuit, plus SecureTech PPP Forearm Guards (+0/+1) and Shin Guards (+0/+1), will give your Body 4 character an armor of 10/9. You can put Non-Conductivity and Chemical Resistance on the Form-Fitting so that you have that protection no matter what you're wearing over it and use the same suit for your casual and formal armor set-ups.
Decent enough, except that this is for an infiltration guy. I'd rather have 8/8 with my chameleon suit, and toss on the thermal damping. You don't really lose that much (less than one hit per roll, on average), and it is ties into your specialty and helping you avoid combat in the first place.
Greataxe - Apply directly to source of problem, repeat as needed.

My Characters

TheNarrator

• Omae
« Reply #16 on: <07-26-12/0849:24> »
The chameleon suit is 6/4, so the same combo would still work. He'll just have slightly less Impact armor, unless he adds a helmet or something.

Alternately, if he's building an all-new set of armor with various mods on it (like thermal dampening) then he could also add Ruthenium Polymer Coating to whatever armor he wanted, as long as it covered his whole body.

Mirikon

• Prime Runner
« Reply #17 on: <07-26-12/0910:08> »
Yes, but as an add-on to whatever outfit he's getting, Ruthenium is what, 8 or 9 thousand? Give me the chameleon suit which already has it on there, and free up that cash for other things.

My Characters

TheNarrator

• Omae
« Reply #18 on: <07-26-12/0931:12> »
I agree it's a savings to get the suit, since ruthenium as a mod is 7,500Y. But if his armor budget is big enough that it's not a concern (remember, he was considering MilSpec armor in the original post) then I figure that I should at least make sure that he knows he has the option.

Check this possible armor package:

Chameleon Suit (6/4)
Form-Fitting Half-Body Suit (4/1)
SecureTech Forearm Guards (+0/+1)
SecureTech Shin Guards (+0/+1)
Helmet (+0/+2)

Total: (10/9), add thermal dampening and elemental protection mods to both suits as per the wearer's tastes

JmOz01

• Omae
« Reply #19 on: <07-26-12/1753:44> »
A few things, The GM requests that we have a christmas list, this is basicaly a "ultimate" version of the character.  Basicaly if you had unlimited karma and money where would he be.  The idea is this is stuff he is working towards.  My character right now only has 40k or so nuyen, and needs to pay his hospital bills (new spleen and all)...  He wants it so he has an idea of where we are taking the character.  Our first couple runs were very rewarding, so I was able to get most of what I wanted already for his standard gear/weapons.  I am still looking at augmentations, and want a real nice suit of armor. 

In short, price is not necesarily a limiter here, because it will be awhile before I get this stuff.  Having said that, some of the more cost effective items are nice and will probably be a stopping point on the good stuff. 

Right now I have the urban explorer jumpsuit (with the Preadotor cloak, as we call it), I figure pick up the half suit and I will be good for awhile. But I do want some A+ armor eventualy.

Mirikon

• Prime Runner
« Reply #20 on: <07-26-12/1927:43> »
In that case, I'd go with Red Samurai armor + helmet, with ruthenium, max thermal damping, max strength increase, and a full sensor suite. Whatever extra capacity you have, put it on nonconductivity. Add in some gecko grip gloves, as well.

My Characters

All4BigGuns

• Prime Runner
« Reply #21 on: <07-26-12/2024:18> »
In that case, I'd go with Red Samurai armor + helmet, with ruthenium, max thermal damping, max strength increase, and a full sensor suite. Whatever extra capacity you have, put it on nonconductivity. Add in some gecko grip gloves, as well.

Why not dream toward Heavy Military Armor with all that good stuff and SoftWeave instead of the Red Sam armor? Dream big when ya dream
(SR5) Homebrew Archetypes

Tangled Currents (Persistent): 33 Karma, 60,000 nuyen

_Pax_

« Reply #22 on: <07-26-12/2120:58> »
Death Mask is also in Attitude. Without Attitude, then yeah, things get trickier.
  War! has the Ballistic Mask - +2/+1, which can take all the same mods a helmet can.

A Chameleon Suit (6/4), with a Ballistic Mask (+2/+1), and Securetech PPP Forearm and Shin guards (+0/+1 each) would put him at 8/7.

DarkLloyd

• Ace Runner
  • Stupidity this Good takes TEAMWORK.
« Reply #23 on: <07-27-12/0943:34> »
  War! has the Ballistic Mask - +2/+1, which can take all the same mods a helmet can.

A Chameleon Suit (6/4), with a Ballistic Mask (+2/+1), and Securetech PPP Forearm and Shin guards (+0/+1 each) would put him at 8/7.

Because you can't Chem seal a ballistic mask. (and no I don't give a damn what the "RAW" says, if anything, on this. If you do you are cheating.)
Runing the shadows since '90
If you can't Dazzle them with STYLE, Riddle them with BULLETS.
"Sometimes we do the right thing.  Sometimes we shoot people in the face for money."-CanRay
"Sometimes those are the same thing."-Mirikon

Missions Characters:
ChromeMonger - Sam
Blanco Diablo - Adept

All4BigGuns

• Prime Runner
« Reply #24 on: <07-27-12/1143:13> »

Because you can't Chem seal a ballistic mask. (and no I don't give a damn what the "RAW" says, if anything, on this. If you do you are cheating.)

Technically, if the rules allow it, it isn't cheating. Cheating is breaking rules, and if the rules allow something, it isn't cheating.
(SR5) Homebrew Archetypes

Tangled Currents (Persistent): 33 Karma, 60,000 nuyen

ArkangelWinter

• Omae
  • A thing need not exist to be real
« Reply #25 on: <07-27-12/1200:55> »

Oh, where there's a will, there's a way. It's entirely possible - just add a chem-sealed cloth cowl, the necessary breathing appatatus to the actual face plate, and voila!

_Pax_

« Reply #26 on: <07-27-12/1201:41> »
Exactly what A4BG says.

Ballistic Mask: this armor is worn on the face and held
by comfortable straps, like an old-fashioned hockey mask. It is
most often worn by combat participants in the Desert Wars for a
number of reasons: they are cooler in the desert heat than helmets
while offering comparable protection, they look great on camera,
and they help protect the face, which is the most marketable
part of a successful soldier’s anatomy.  They come in a variety of
custom moldings and paint jobs. Ballistic masks can take vision
enhancements as well as any modification a helmet can take, and
like other helmets, their armor bonus stacks with the rating of
other worn armor.

Now, if you want to argue that the Ballistic Mask's description of "held on by straps" precludes it being part of a "full body suit", that's fine; doing so would be debating the finer points of the rules.  But don't bloody accuse me of cheating just for having a different interpretation of the "full body" requirement (specifically, I'm of the opinion that the chameleon suit, since it works WITHOUT a helmet, must include a hood, making up for what coverage the mask lacks).

Oh, and also?  I never even mentioned Chemical Seal myself, at all, in the first place.  I was only talking about armor ratings, and pointing out that any mods the OP wanted for their helmet (vision, respirator, etc) would also be possible in the mask.