NEWS

6E: Smoke/Gas Grenade Range, Concentration, DV?

• 6 Replies

skalchemist

• Omae
« on: <01-13-20/1049:59> »
Hi all:  Page 116 says that Gas Attacks have a Range, Concentration, and DV.  It refers to a table on that same page.  But that table just has the word "range" on it.  The Smoke Grenade rules refer back to this page for smoke as well.

So...what is the Range of gas and smoke grenades?  My friends and I scoured the rulebook on Friday night trying to find this value.  The only reference that was found (not in the session, but afterward) was on pg 117 in the Gas Grenade example, where it says "Gas Grenades have a range of 5 m." 

Is this information actually in the rulebook and we aren't finding it or is there a table of some sort missing?  I checked the errata file posted in this thread: https://forums.shadowruntabletop.com/index.php?topic=30792  and it doesn't seem to be in there either.
« Last Edit: <01-20-20/1506:03> by skalchemist »

MercilessMing

• Omae
« Reply #1 on: <01-13-20/1250:10> »
Nope, I think you're right.  I looked everywhere I could think of... the toxin section, the explosives gear section, the gas attack rules.  Based on the example in the Gas Attack rules, the Range number seems like it would be linked to the dispersing grenade, and of course there is no such stat on the grenade.  I suggest taking that Range value of 5 from the example and applying it universally. 

skalchemist

• Omae
« Reply #2 on: <01-13-20/1252:26> »
Nope, I think you're right.  I looked everywhere I could think of... the toxin section, the explosives gear section, the gas attack rules.  Based on the example in the Gas Attack rules, the Range number seems like it would be linked to the dispersing grenade, and of course there is no such stat on the grenade.  I suggest taking that Range value of 5 from the example and applying it universally.
Thanks for checking, Ming.  That was our conclusion as well but I'm glad to have confirmation this wasn't an error on our part. 

Typhus

• Omae
« Reply #3 on: <01-13-20/1258:55> »
It's a very confusingly worded section, and requires some guesswork, page flipping, and extrapolation to get the concepts down, and they are not supported by the items, which lack the stats the rules reference.

I attempted to grok it all on this thread here: 

https://forums.shadowruntabletop.com/index.php?topic=30331.0

Hopefully it has some helpful thoughts and interpretations from the folks who tried to help me parse it.

skalchemist

• Omae
« Reply #4 on: <01-13-20/1419:12> »
It's a very confusingly worded section, and requires some guesswork, page flipping, and extrapolation to get the concepts down, and they are not supported by the items, which lack the stats the rules reference.

Hopefully it has some helpful thoughts and interpretations from the folks who tried to help me parse it.
Thanks!  That's a useful read.

Hephaestus

• Omae
  • "Milk Run" is a mighty weird way to spell TPK
« Reply #5 on: <01-18-20/1021:33> »

I 'member that discussion. It think whoever wrote the rules for gas attacks had a good idea, but either didn't or couldn't expand on it properly. My guess would be that if they do plan on properly explaining the rules, it will be a section in the upcoming combat book.

skalchemist

• Omae
« Reply #6 on: <01-20-20/1416:42> »
It appears that this ambiguity around smoke/gas grenade radii was not addressed in the new PDF?  Did I just miss it? 

EDIT: hold that question; its probably unfair to ask it before the separate listing of all the errata is published.
« Last Edit: <01-20-20/1428:21> by skalchemist »