NEWS

6e Adepts and Power Points-What's the consensus?

• 46 Replies

Michael Chandra

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Prime Runner
  • Question-slicing ninja
« Reply #15 on: <01-08-20/1659:33> »
So at your table, excess Magic in chargen is basically a buffer for essence loss -> PP loss? That's rather nifty and makes me feel less bad about the lack of info on how to handle the PP-gap. I like!
How am I not part of the forum?? O_O I am both active and angry!

Xenon

• Prime Runner
« Reply #16 on: <01-09-20/1307:20> »
Agreed, but *losing* PPs is less clear.
It is clear that your unadjusted magic rating give magicians free spells.
It is less clear if magician lose spells if their magic rating goes down.

...how to handle the PP-gap.
Using adjustment points on magic as a physical adept is not as bad as you seem to think...

Using adjustment attribute points to raise magic rating during chargen is rather "cheap" in this edition.
One of the benefits of walking out of chargen with a higher adjusted magic rating is that you can bind more focus levels.
Spending karma to bind Qi focus is almost always the cheapest way to gain access to more power points.

Compare two physical adepts that both start with unadjusted magic rating 2 but one (A) also have an adjusted magic rating of 2 while the other (B) have an adjusted magic rating of 6.

Total karma cost for A to get a total of 10 power points (8 extra power points):
Bind force 4 Qi focus = 8 karma
Raise magic to 3 = 15 karma
Initiate grade 1 = 11 karma
Raise magic to 4 = 20 karma

total cost: 86 karma. Current magic rating of 4. Max magic rating of 7.

Total karma cost for B to get a total of 10 power points (8 extra power points):
Initiate grade 1 = 11 karma

total cost: 67 karma and 4 adjustment points. Current magic rating of 6. Max magic rating of 7

topcat

• Newb
« Reply #17 on: <01-09-20/1320:56> »
If you can just go up to 6 no matter what your magic pick was, then Attributes A becomes the only correct way to build an Adept.

It's already the only correct way to build any other archetype, so...

Stainless Steel Devil Rat

• Errata Coordinator
  • Prime Runner
« Reply #18 on: <01-09-20/1417:28> »
If you can just go up to 6 no matter what your magic pick was, then Attributes A becomes the only correct way to build an Adept.

It's already the only correct way to build any other archetype, so...

Attributes A is certainly very good, but sometimes you might want something that Resources B doesn't quite cut.  And so long as Magic B isn't able to give you what Magic A gives you, that's another peg of possible reasons to go Attributes B or lower.
RPG mechanics exist to give structure and consistency to the game world, true, but at the end of the day, you’re fighting dragons with algebra and random number generators.

Michael Chandra

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Prime Runner
  • Question-slicing ninja
« Reply #19 on: <01-09-20/1553:27> »
Isn't Attributes supposed to not go into the special attributes, and only Racial points can go into those?_?
How am I not part of the forum?? O_O I am both active and angry!

Hobbes

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Prime Runner
« Reply #20 on: <01-09-20/1627:29> »
Isn't Attributes supposed to not go into the special attributes, and only Racial points can go into those?_?

That would be one way to encourage a high Metatype pick....

But there is no such restriction.  Attribute points can be spent however a player wants up to racial and chargen Max.

Never-mind, mis-read, though you said Racial attributes, not special attributes.  Yes Edge, Magic, Resonance are Benefit points or Karma.
« Last Edit: <01-09-20/1629:26> by Hobbes »

Xelian

• Newb
« Reply #21 on: <01-10-20/0416:28> »
The lack of clarity is really quite annoying. So I have suggested a house rule for that which goes as follows. 
Adepts can never have more PP than their Magic Rating  - To prevent the Cyberware abuse
Adepts get a free PP upon Initiation. Mystic Adepts cannot take the Power Point Metamagic - That way there is some initiative to put some magic even as adept which you can fill in the future without being forced to take the Power point every time.

P.S I like the new edition so far although there are some obvious holes which shouldn't have been here. It seems they didn't beta test this properly or made some last minute changes which shouldn't have been done.
« Last Edit: <01-11-20/0943:31> by Xelian »

Xenon

• Prime Runner
« Reply #22 on: <01-10-20/1246:24> »
Adepts can't never have more PP than their Magic Rating
Wait what...?

Let me expand on that. Double negation aside, this would put a huge limit on the rate at which a physical adept can get power points.

With Magic and resonance priority A (unadjusted magic rating of 4) you would have 4 power points, but will not get a 5th power point when you initiate since your current magic rating is still only 4. So unless you first spend 25 karma to first raise your magic rating to 25 (which will now apparently not grant you any free power point anymore) this power point will be fully lost for all future. Which kinda sucks. Also, in order to gain even a single extra power point you would have to both raise your magic rating in addition to initiating (even if your initiation grade is still far from your current magic rating). If you also wanted to use your metamagic on a power point you would first have to first raise your magic attribute a second time (and once your initiation grade catch up with your maximum magic rating you don't even have the opportunity to get more than 1 power point each time you raise your magic rating + initiation on top of that).
« Last Edit: <01-10-20/1258:57> by Xenon »

Hobbes

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Prime Runner
« Reply #23 on: <01-10-20/1301:39> »
Pretty sure its Initiation Grade that caps at Magic, not PP.

Xelian

• Newb
« Reply #24 on: <01-11-20/1007:56> »
Adepts can't never have more PP than their Magic Rating
Wait what...?

Let me expand on that. Double negation aside, this would put a huge limit on the rate at which a physical adept can get power points.

With Magic and resonance priority A (unadjusted magic rating of 4) you would have 4 power points, but will not get a 5th power point when you initiate since your current magic rating is still only 4. So unless you first spend 25 karma to first raise your magic rating to 25 (which will now apparently not grant you any free power point anymore) this power point will be fully lost for all future. Which kinda sucks. Also, in order to gain even a single extra power point you would have to both raise your magic rating in addition to initiating (even if your initiation grade is still far from your current magic rating). If you also wanted to use your metamagic on a power point you would first have to first raise your magic attribute a second time (and once your initiation grade catch up with your maximum magic rating you don't even have the opportunity to get more than 1 power point each time you raise your magic rating + initiation on top of that).

Yeah the double negate is a typo. And I don't think you have understand what I mean. Currently the problem with adepts is that they have 0 initiative to raise magic with advancement points at char creation. If you play a human adept the only thing you can raise is EDGE. If you gain Free point at initiation this will give you some initiative to raise your magic with advancement points. But I can see your point. At certain point you will hit your Magic cap and will be unable to take the Power point megamagic  anymore and adepts are kinda bad on options there anyway.

Stainless Steel Devil Rat

• Errata Coordinator
  • Prime Runner
« Reply #25 on: <01-11-20/1045:29> »
Yeah, it's actually worse than a "there's no incentive to raise Magic for Adepts in chargen"... you're actively PUNISHED for doing so:

You spend SAP/Karma on increasing magic beyond your priority pick.  Because this is during chargen, your PPs do not go up.  AND, now it's even more expensive post-chargen to increase your MAG further so that you DO gain PPs.  And if you went to 6 in chargen, on top of that now you have to initiate before you can even go beyond 6.
RPG mechanics exist to give structure and consistency to the game world, true, but at the end of the day, you’re fighting dragons with algebra and random number generators.

Xenon

• Prime Runner
« Reply #26 on: <01-11-20/1109:56> »
Currently the problem with adepts is that they have 0 initiative to raise magic with advancement points at char creation.

See my response on that earlier in this thread. Do the math. It is not as bad as you seem to think...

Trim2060

• Newb
« Reply #27 on: <01-11-20/1614:00> »
Agreed, but *losing* PPs is less clear.
It is clear that your unadjusted magic rating give magicians free spells.
It is less clear if magician lose spells if their magic rating goes down.

...how to handle the PP-gap.
Using adjustment points on magic as a physical adept is not as bad as you seem to think...

RAW skips karma for bonding

Shrug

Xenon

• Prime Runner
« Reply #28 on: <01-11-20/1959:39> »
No. Rules as written (RAW) does not skip karma cost for binding a focus.

SR6 p. 154 Foci
The amount of Karma required to bond a focus is different for each focus, listed on the Magical Goods table....Once you’ve spent the Karma and the time, the focus’ power is available to you.

SR6 p. 168 Magical Gods Table
Qi focus   Force x 2 Karma

Trim2060

• Newb
« Reply #29 on: <01-12-20/1103:20> »
No. Rules as written (RAW) does not skip karma cost for binding a focus.

SR6 p. 154 Foci
The amount of Karma required to bond a focus is different for each focus, listed on the Magical Goods table....Once you’ve spent the Karma and the time, the focus’ power is available to you.

SR6 p. 168 Magical Gods Table
Qi focus   Force x 2 Karma

Oops, I missed spoke.
At character creation RAW doesn't list bonding of foci as a use of karma.