NEWS

6e Adepts and Power Points-What's the consensus?

• 46 Replies

cuidaBeja

• Newb
« on: <01-06-20/1845:56> »
Now that I've made an adept, I see the issues in the core adept wording, but what is the answer?
How should power points actually be gained?

1. Power points are gained whenever your magic stat increases (as per page 156) and can also be obtained through taking the corresponding metamagic on page 168, but at character generation you can only have as many power points as are given directly by your priority table choice (as per the wording on page 66)

2. The text on page 156 is a bad carryover from 5e, and so you start with power points equal to the magic listed on your priority table choice (as per pg. 66) which can only be increased through the power point metamagic (pg. 168)

3. The text on page 66 is poorly worded, and the parenthetical that implies that adepts cannot start with more power points than their table entry gives is just trying to inform you where to find their original magic stat? Adepts can boost their magic stat at character generation, which gets them additional power points, as will later increases to their magic stat during gameplay (pg. 156) as will the power point metamagic
Shadowrun may not be the dystopia we want but we should be careful that it's not the one we get . . .

Hobbes

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Prime Runner
« Reply #1 on: <01-06-20/1914:05> »
Officially no answer yet, and given that there are multiple wording changes that effect Adepts and Mystic Adepts (Burnout, Max Magic, Karma spend pre and post chargen, Benefit Points.) its difficult to say what the final Errat'd version will be.

Unofficially, I'd say do it like 5th Edition until someone says otherwise.  Which is a decent rule of thumb for most questions. 

easl

• Newb
« Reply #2 on: <01-06-20/1954:15> »
The change to "from the priority table only, not as altered with points, karma etc." seems to be intentional, as that instruction is used/repeated not just for adept points but also spells and a techno's complex forms.

So personally, I'd say that #1 or #2 are closest to the SR6 design intent.

Having said that though, using SR5 rules in the absence of clarity is a good call and frankly I don't see how it would really unbalance the game (well...mages are already strong. But 2 extra spells at chargen probably isn't going to make that much worse).

Michael Chandra

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Prime Runner
  • Question-slicing ninja
« Reply #3 on: <01-07-20/0058:49> »
The change to "from the priority table only, not as altered with points, karma etc." seems to be intentional, as that instruction is used/repeated not just for adept points but also spells and a techno's complex forms.

So personally, I'd say that #1 or #2 are closest to the SR6 design intent.

Having said that though, using SR5 rules in the absence of clarity is a good call and frankly I don't see how it would really unbalance the game (well...mages are already strong. But 2 extra spells at chargen probably isn't going to make that much worse).
Keep in mind that for Mages, the extra nerf-factor would be that right now, learning extra spells isn't legal by RAW in chargen. So the spells from your Priority? You're stuck with those until after play starts. The same for Adepts.

Right now, #1 seems to be the intended RAI, but I don't know what the errata will exactly contain. Personally I'd like for Adepts to be able to awaken PPs they lost, so there's an actual value to starting with extra Magic for them. (Otherwise, it'd be better for rules to block Adepts from gaining Magic in chargen.)

As for the houserule that Pegasus went with, that might work: It explicitly calls out that only karma-bought Magic will grant Power Points. But they also suddenly added that Mystic Adepts can get PP that way, which clearly flies against both SR5 and SR6 RAI and shows their bias towards Mystic Adepts.
How am I not part of the forum?? O_O I am both active and angry!

Stainless Steel Devil Rat

• Errata Coordinator
  • Prime Runner
« Reply #4 on: <01-07-20/0902:25> »
My preferred interpretation is that Power Points cannot go higher than your MAG from the priority pick *during chargen*, as per the RAW.  But on top of that, they can go DOWN due to Essence loss, which is decidedly not RAW.

Of note, the way the German language CRB works: Adepts and MysAds can gain PPs when increasing MAG via karma, but not via SAPs. 
RPG mechanics exist to give structure and consistency to the game world, true, but at the end of the day, you’re fighting dragons with algebra and random number generators.

imthedci

• Newb
  • Usually straying off topic
« Reply #5 on: <01-07-20/1006:50> »
Of note, the way the German language CRB works: Adepts and MysAds can gain PPs when increasing MAG via karma, but not via SAPs.

A little off topic - Are the "clarifications" on certain things in the German CRB considered official changes (I hesitate to use the word errata, but that's where my mind is leaning) to the English CRB?
Thanks for the help. ^_^

Michael Chandra

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Prime Runner
  • Question-slicing ninja
« Reply #6 on: <01-07-20/1109:07> »
They're basically judgment calls made by Pegasus Press, so have no official status when it comes to the English CRB.

Henker

• Newb
  • Mystic Adept
« Reply #7 on: <01-07-20/1331:25> »
By default I stick to the same rules as per previous editions
Eighth and final rule: if this is your first night at Fight Club, you have to fight

Sphinx

• Errata Team
  • Omae
« Reply #8 on: <01-07-20/1359:25> »
My unofficial opinion: You get one Power Point for every point of your Magic attribute, and you can gain additional Power Points through initiation. You get a new PP if the Magic attribute goes up (during or after chargen), and you lose a PP if the attribute ever goes down (e.g., when you lose Essence).

Michael Chandra

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Prime Runner
  • Question-slicing ninja
« Reply #9 on: <01-07-20/1416:26> »
The problem with that is that you can tell from the low benefits of the Magic Priority, that it's supposed to be expensive. As such, to disregard the 'no PP from attribute points into Magic' means the entire Priority chart becomes very unbalanced. Same for 'no buying spells in chargen'.

• Errata Coordinator
  • Prime Runner
« Reply #10 on: <01-07-20/1421:44> »
I agree. The PP costs for powers in 6we is somewhat lower, so 1-4 PPs is actually viable.  If you can just go up to 6 no matter what your magic pick was, then Attributes A becomes the only correct way to build an Adept.
RPG mechanics exist to give structure and consistency to the game world, true, but at the end of the day, you’re fighting dragons with algebra and random number generators.

Xenon

• Prime Runner
« Reply #11 on: <01-08-20/1214:16> »
The rules seem to be quite clear. Both from a RAW and RAI point of view:

• Adepts in 6th edition get unadjusted magic rating number of power points from magic or resonance priority during chargen.
  • Adepts in 6th edition gain one power point whenever they spend karma (but not adjustment points) to raise their magic rating by one point [post chargen].

• Errata Coordinator
  • Prime Runner
« Reply #12 on: <01-08-20/1313:36> »
The rules seem to be quite clear. Both from a RAW and RAI point of view:

• Adepts in 6th edition get unadjusted magic rating number of power points from magic or resonance priority during chargen.
  • Adepts in 6th edition gain one power point whenever they spend karma (but not adjustment points) to raise their magic rating by one point [post chargen].

Agreed, but *losing* PPs is less clear. The intent, surely, is that you're supposed to lose PPs when your Magic goes down.

Hobbes

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Prime Runner
« Reply #13 on: <01-08-20/1426:12> »
Losing Essence, Magic, and PPs needs to be/should get soon clarified.  Hopefully.  That also leads to the Burn out and char gen questions on SAPs and Karma which all should be cleared up "Soon".   :D

I don't know that it's a major balance concern honestly.  It's just the OCD itch of consistency.  And Missions play.  Really a 1.375 Essence Burn out Adept with 2 PP isn't going to break a table.  However if the same character comes out of chargen 6 different ways at 6 different tables it's something that should be cleaned up.

If your table comes up with a different solution then what the Errata settles on, it's fine.  The Errata team won't show up at your game and force you to play "right".  But I get the impulse to be rules compliant.  You can always start your game and if Errata comes along that changes something you can let your players /respec their build into something rules legal.  Much like when a new source book comes out, some things are very difficult to get post char gen.  Going back to the start and re-building a character should be allowed in some fashion, IMO. 

MercilessMing

• Omae
« Reply #14 on: <01-08-20/1544:29> »
#1 is my interpretation.  When it comes to losing power points, we say that magic loss means power point loss, as it has been in every previous version of Shadowrun.  If an adept plans on taking augments in chargen, they should bump up their magic rating so the resulting loss leaves their power points protected.