NEWS

[SR6] Quick question from a beginner regarding soaking

• 3 Replies

mensik

• Newb
« on: <01-03-20/1120:07> »
Hello friends,

I'm new to Shadowrun 6E and bought the CRB yesterday.

I was going through the combat rules and it all pretty much made sense. I decided to practice the mechanics and took two or three pregen characters and simulate a fight with some of the gangers from the Battle Royale adventure from the Beginner Box. It helped me understanding and getting a better pace at combat.

But then something happened and I couldn't find a rule for it in either the QSR or the CRB.

Yu, the pregen Face, attacked one the Rangers Gangers with his Ares Light Fire 75. So he rolled Firearms (2) + Agility (6) for a total of 8. He got 2 hits.
The dwarf Ganger, on his side, rolled Reaction (2) + Intuition (2) for a total of 4. He got two hits as well.

The rules say that a tie goes to the attacker. So the Ganger rolls Body (4) and gets 3 hits.
Since Yu's Light Fire 75's DV is only 2P and that the Ganger's got 3 net hits, it brings the total damage to -1.

What does that translates to in a roleplaying context? Simply no damage is done? Or does the Ganger get some stun damage maybe?
Thanks for your help. I know this must be a pretty basic question, but I just couldn't find the answer in the CRB.

(Also, I didn't say anything about edge in the encounter, simply because none was awarded/spent).

Banshee

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Ace Runner
« Reply #1 on: <01-03-20/1126:34> »
When the soak roll reduces the damage to zero or less it simply means no damage was dealt.
Robert "Banshee" Volbrecht
Freelancer & FAQ Committee member
Former RPG Lead Agent
Catalyst Demo Team

Hobbes

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Prime Runner
« Reply #2 on: <01-03-20/1130:46> »
RPwise can be described any number of ways.  The round bounced off an Armored plate, or just grazed the ganger and put a hole in the jacket.  Any number of cosmetic or flavorful descriptions are applicable. 

Mechanically no damage and move on to the next action.

mensik

• Newb
« Reply #3 on: <01-03-20/1205:09> »
Thank you both for your quick and simple answers. :)
Have a good one chummers.