NEWS

What should finding your Way and/or Mentor Spirit involve?

• 18 Replies

firebug

• Errata Coordinator
  • Prime Runner
  • Scraping the bottom of the Resonance Barrel
« on: <02-20-18/0306:41> »
So, recently I made the first character in a while who didn't begin with a Way and/or a Mentor Spirit.  Usually it's a major part of their concept (like "a Wolf Shaman") and so it's included right away.

But this time I've got an adept who's going to go into the Spiritual Way, and I intend for her mentor spirit to be Binah, one of the ten Sefirot from hermetic qabalah.  But I have no idea what earning a way or discovering your mentor spirit is like in-universe; there's only a few examples for the mentor spirit, and no examples for gaining an adept way.

In this case, would getting The Spiritual Way just be a by-product of discovering her mentor spirit?  How have you guys handled buying a Way or Mentor Spirit during play?

I realize though, I have no idea what "meeting" a mentor spirit of one of the sefirot would be like.  Hopefully I can get inspiration by just studying the source material.
I'm Madpath Moth on reddit (and other sites).  Feel free to PM me errata questions!
Jeeze.  It would almost sound stupid until you realize we're talking about an immortal elf clown sword fighting a dragon ghost in a mall.

Senko

• Ace Runner
« Reply #1 on: <02-20-18/0655:13> »
It'd be a personal situation depending on the character if I understand what I've seen correctly. Some are the hit you over the head "I am Coyote and you. . .. Should probably duck now." Others are the result of spiritual trial and testing e.g. native American spirit quest. Others still are just quietly arriving at the realisation that X is a fundamental rock in your life or X finally speaking to you rather than you taking it on Faith. Some taunt, trick and guide you got years as figures in the shadows till your ready to step up.

I don't know much about that religion, spirit or your character so I can't give any direct guidance sorry. However I think pretty much anything could work as long as it feels right for your character

Marcus

• Prime Runner
  • Success always demands a greater effort.
« Reply #2 on: <02-20-18/0926:51> »
Not to be a blunt instrument about it, but study of the Qabalah, is pretty much the definition of studying a spiritual way. So the act is the journey and vis versa, as a GM i would spice it up with some astral quests. Visit the old place of Self, from 3rd, Understanding is complex from many sides, it serous downsides as well as upsides, how comfortable is your character with that? Understanding why someone committed their terrible crime? Understanding the causes of Deep conflict. That pretty much represents the sum total of my knowledge of the Qabalah, Hopefully we have some other Runners who have formal education of the topic can make some tangible suggestions.
*Play-by-Post color guide*
Thinking
com
speaking

firebug

• Errata Coordinator
  • Prime Runner
« Reply #3 on: <02-20-18/1008:13> »
I find Qabalah fascinating which is why I want to have this character go for it.  I'm not super knowledgable, but I can tell what you're saying is a good point.  Unfortunately, game-wise, the character's an adept and so I don't think astral quests are a possibility.

I think what you're describing would be better for the character initiating, I think.  I'll definitely keep that in mind when she initiates, as that sounds like the exact kind of thing that someone who's mentor spirit is a piece/fraction of Binah would have to do in order to surpass their limitations and reach new levels of magic.

This character has a heavy perception/intuition theme.  I was thinking maybe...  Her meeting her mentor spirit could begin with her seeing things on the astral, and investigating it.  Basically, it could be Binah testing her to see if she will try and understand the anomalies it creates...  It could maybe end up leading her to some kind of harsh truth, and if it approves of her reaction, reveals itself to her?  That makes use of the kind of things you mentioned.

Think that'd be appropriate?  Obvious it'd be more detailed and drawn-out during the game.
I'm Madpath Moth on reddit (and other sites).  Feel free to PM me errata questions!
Jeeze.  It would almost sound stupid until you realize we're talking about an immortal elf clown sword fighting a dragon ghost in a mall.

Wakshaani

• Ace Runner

firebug

• Errata Coordinator
  • Prime Runner
« Reply #5 on: <02-20-18/1043:05> »
Thanks Wakshaani.  XP

Mirikon

• Prime Runner
  • "Everybody lies." --House
« Reply #6 on: <02-20-18/1052:05> »
You could look at the Secrets of Power trilogy, where Twist finds Dog after a life as a wageslave, never knowing he was Awakened.
Greataxe - Apply directly to source of problem, repeat as needed.

My Characters

Marcus

• Prime Runner
« Reply #7 on: <02-20-18/1355:12> »
I find Qabalah fascinating which is why I want to have this character go for it.  I'm not super knowledgable, but I can tell what you're saying is a good point.  Unfortunately, game-wise, the character's an adept and so I don't think astral quests are a possibility.

I think what you're describing would be better for the character initiating, I think.  I'll definitely keep that in mind when she initiates, as that sounds like the exact kind of thing that someone who's mentor spirit is a piece/fraction of Binah would have to do in order to surpass their limitations and reach new levels of magic.

This character has a heavy perception/intuition theme.  I was thinking maybe...  Her meeting her mentor spirit could begin with her seeing things on the astral, and investigating it.  Basically, it could be Binah testing her to see if she will try and understand the anomalies it creates...  It could maybe end up leading her to some kind of harsh truth, and if it approves of her reaction, reveals itself to her?  That makes use of the kind of things you mentioned.

Think that'd be appropriate?  Obvious it'd be more detailed and drawn-out during the game.

Yeah that basically what I'm on about, but start with study, i mean just reading books. The literal act of studying.

As to the astral quest thing, no big, visit some astral shadows, or go chat with decent sized spirit, astral gate way isn't a hard power to track down. 

But yeah that's my best input, hopeful combine with other it'll take you where you want to go.
Thinking
com
speaking

Tecumseh

• Prime Runner
« Reply #8 on: <02-20-18/1614:28> »
Unfortunately, game-wise, the character's an adept and so I don't think astral quests are a possibility.

Personally, I wouldn't let this stop you. Game-wise, magic is the ultimate permission to for the GM to wave his or her hand and do what they like.

If you want a canon mechanic for to make them possible, consider the Astral Gateway power (Street Grimoire, p. 194) or the magical compound Shade (Chrome Flesh, p. 187), both of which allow anyone to astrally project, even mundanes.

If neither of those are satisfactory, have the astral quest quest be a vision/dream that the character has while sleeping. There's precedence for this in Harlequin's Back, as (24-year-old spoiler alert!) the entire campaign is an astral quest that the characters have while sleeping.

If astral quests aren't of any interest, then feel free to ignore all this, but if they are intriguing then there are multiple ways to make them a possibility.

PiXeL01

• Errata Team
  • Ace Runner
  • Sheltering Orks in Osaka
« Reply #9 on: <02-20-18/1850:57> »
There’s also the near-death revelation similar to the first fiction in Book of the Lost
If Tom Brady’s a Spike Baby, what does that make Brees and Rodgers?

firebug

• Errata Coordinator
  • Prime Runner
« Reply #10 on: <02-21-18/0819:51> »
Hmm, that's true...  You guys bring up good points (and good info).  Thanks a lot!

Mirikon

• Prime Runner
  • "Everybody lies." --House
« Reply #11 on: <02-21-18/1218:55> »
@Tecumseh: To be fair, the astral quest in Harlequin's Back is the result of an immortal elf doing ritual magic on top of a power site boosted by a mana spike. Your mileage may vary.

@firebug: Shade is an easy way for even street level characters to have a vision quest kind of experience. Especially if you speedball it with some other things to make the character more open to possibilities, or do it as part of a (mundane) ritual.
Greataxe - Apply directly to source of problem, repeat as needed.

My Characters

firebug

• Errata Coordinator
  • Prime Runner
« Reply #12 on: <02-21-18/1453:24> »
I do hope for the character to be able to perform a Calling ritual at some point (although strictly speaking, they can't--  RAW, only people with ritual casting or mundanes, using Arcana can, but I'm sure an Adept can just use Arcana like a mundane), and maybe they could get a spirit that could use Astral Gateway and make a deal with it.

Actually, that just sounds like a really cool way to do it, as that'd easily be the kind of thing that'd require several sessions to set up and accomplish already.

EDIT:  Hmm.  I'm not sure Astral Gateway is actually that easy to encounter unless my character knows someone who knows Summon Great Form Spirit, or I do the wrong thing and try to use Calling for a Shedim or Insect Queen.  I haven't checked all the books though.  Aetherology or Howling Shadows might make it more possible.
« Last Edit: <02-21-18/1521:54> by firebug »

Tecumseh

• Prime Runner
« Reply #13 on: <02-21-18/1549:13> »
To be fair, the astral quest in Harlequin's Back is the result of an immortal elf doing ritual magic on top of a power site boosted by a mana spike.

Oh, certainly, but we're not discussing what Firebug's adept is capable of but rather what Binah can do. I'm quite confident that Binah could meet and exceed Harlequin's accomplishments in the astral realm, including dragging an adept out for an astral quest.

Marcus

• Prime Runner
« Reply #14 on: <02-21-18/2021:18> »
I do hope for the character to be able to perform a Calling ritual at some point (although strictly speaking, they can't--  RAW, only people with ritual casting or mundanes, using Arcana can, but I'm sure an Adept can just use Arcana like a mundane), and maybe they could get a spirit that could use Astral Gateway and make a deal with it.

Actually, that just sounds like a really cool way to do it, as that'd easily be the kind of thing that'd require several sessions to set up and accomplish already.

EDIT:  Hmm.  I'm not sure Astral Gateway is actually that easy to encounter unless my character knows someone who knows Summon Great Form Spirit, or I do the wrong thing and try to use Calling for a Shedim or Insect Queen.  I haven't checked all the books though.  Aetherology or Howling Shadows might make it more possible.
Spirits are not that uncommon, any major city will have couple, ether free spirits or some other sort. If you start asking around in magical circles someone can point the character in the right direction. May have to grease some palms, may have to take a trip, and probably gonna end up owing a reasonably powerful spirit a favor or two, but good character development should requiring planning and some dedication.
Thinking
com
speaking