NEWS

Skimmers

• 29 Replies

Ryo

• Ace Runner
« on: <01-17-16/1545:05> »
Chrome Flesh has Skimmers that you can add to your feet, which double your walking/running rate while active. Is this the only piece of gear that does this? Are there any skimmer shoes, for example? High tech cyberpunk rollerblades?

firebug

• Errata Coordinator
  • Prime Runner
  • Scraping the bottom of the Resonance Barrel
« Reply #1 on: <01-17-16/1552:35> »
As far as I know, there's no shoes that do it.  I mean obviously, there's roller blades you could buy.  Likely even ones that retract like those shoes from the 90's, was it?  A runner in skates has some real Jet Set Radio Future feel to it, which is freakin' awesome. Get some parkour, some spraypaint, maybe a good melee weapon...

But for skimmers, the shoes would likely need a big jet-like structure on them somewhere.  It'd be possible, but clunky and obvious.  Not the kinda thing you could conceal.

What I want to know is, are there shoes made to go over cyberfeet/cyberlegs that have holes in the bottom?  Does my runner with skimmers need to go shoeless everywhere?  Kinda like how I realized my character with a cyberholster in her arm would have to roll the sleeves of her armor jacket up if she wanted it to work...
I'm Madpath Moth on reddit (and other sites).  Feel free to PM me errata questions!
Jeeze.  It would almost sound stupid until you realize we're talking about an immortal elf clown sword fighting a dragon ghost in a mall.

Jack_Spade

• Prime Runner
« Reply #2 on: <01-17-16/1554:33> »
There are Roller Skates in Run Faster p.254 and Chrome Flesh explains there effects on p. 88 just above the Skimmers.

They only provide 50% extra movement but they also only reduce your physical limit by 1 and are a lot cheaper (100¥) so they are in fact a bargain.

A Skimmer Skateboard (or rather Hoverboard) would surely be possible. For 1000¥ that should be possible.
talk think matrix

To strive, to seek, to find and not to yield
Revenant Kynos Isaint Rex

Ryo

• Ace Runner
« Reply #3 on: <01-17-16/1555:43> »
As far as I know, there's no shoes that do it.  I mean obviously, there's roller blades you could buy.  Likely even ones that retract like those shoes from the 90's, was it?  A runner in skates has some real Jet Set Radio Future feel to it, which is freakin' awesome. Get some parkour, some spraypaint, maybe a good melee weapon...

But for skimmers, the shoes would likely need a big jet-like structure on them somewhere.  It'd be possible, but clunky and obvious.  Not the kinda thing you could conceal.

What I want to know is, are there shoes made to go over cyberfeet/cyberlegs that have holes in the bottom?  Does my runner with skimmers need to go shoeless everywhere?  Kinda like how I realized my character with a cyberholster in her arm would have to roll the sleeves of her armor jacket up if she wanted it to work...

I would be totally fine with jet boots. That would have a nice aesthetic, and would go great on the street punk type of runner that would be going for a Jet Set vibe. I'm sure such technology DOES exist in 2075, I just don't know if the gear is actually in a 5th edition book. I'm almost positive there were skimmer blades in 4th.

firebug

• Errata Coordinator
  • Prime Runner
« Reply #4 on: <01-17-16/1618:03> »
Yeah the tech totally should exist, but it's not listed in any books from 5e.  I'd talk to a GM about it.
I'm Madpath Moth on reddit (and other sites).  Feel free to PM me errata questions!
Jeeze.  It would almost sound stupid until you realize we're talking about an immortal elf clown sword fighting a dragon ghost in a mall.

MijRai

• Ace Runner
  • Kane's Understudy
« Reply #5 on: <01-17-16/2228:43> »
Do skimmers have a Capacity cost?  If so, you should be able to install them into armor, in my mind. 
Would you want to go into a place where the resident had a drum-fed shotgun and can see in the dark?

firebug

• Errata Coordinator
  • Prime Runner
« Reply #6 on: <01-17-16/2233:58> »
Do skimmers have a Capacity cost?  If so, you should be able to install them into armor, in my mind.

They cost 4.  Skates are 2, for comparison.  But, generally armor doesn't include shoes unless it's Full Body Armor.  Getting skates installed in your Armor Jacket would just be silly.  You'd just go wear skates.  Maybe plasteel-toe combat-boot style roller blades, but still.

ZombieAcePilot

• Chummer
« Reply #7 on: <01-18-16/0121:41> »
There are Roller Skates in Run Faster p.254 and Chrome Flesh explains there effects on p. 88 just above the Skimmers.

They only provide 50% extra movement but they also only reduce your physical limit by 1 and are a lot cheaper (100¥) so they are in fact a bargain.

A Skimmer Skateboard (or rather Hoverboard) would surely be possible. For 1000¥ that should be possible.

Runner name, M.J. Fox. Gear: Hoverboard and car from the last century. Contact: Doc B. Enemies: Biff...

Medicineman

• Ace Runner
« Reply #8 on: <01-18-16/0231:00> »
....oO( You could also check out the SR4A Rigger 4 PDF where Hoverboards were introduced ;) )
ImO every Cyberware should also have a non-Cyber  pendant so there SHOULD also exist a Hoverboard if there is a Hovercyberware !

just make it a bit cheaper than the 'ware and lower the Avail and go for it

with a Dance back to the Future
Medicineman

http://english.bouletcorp.com/2013/08/02/the-long-journey/
---------------------------------------------------
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h1V7fi5IqYw
---------------------------------------------------
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-RYlAPjyNm8

Wakshaani

• Ace Runner
« Reply #9 on: <01-19-16/0134:28> »
Yeah, I'm the one responsible for Rigger 4's hoverboards. :)

Hobbes

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Prime Runner
« Reply #10 on: <01-19-16/1114:42> »

They cost 4.  Skates are 2, for comparison.  But, generally armor doesn't include shoes unless it's Full Body Armor.  Getting skates installed in your Armor Jacket would just be silly.  You'd just go wear skates.  Maybe plasteel-toe combat-boot style roller blades, but still.

Do the steel toed boots in Hard Target have a Capacity?  AFB so couldn't check.

Jack_Spade

• Prime Runner
« Reply #11 on: <01-19-16/1217:52> »
Nope, since they don't in fact provide armor. 
Your snake mesh socks on the other hand...
talk think matrix

To strive, to seek, to find and not to yield
Revenant Kynos Isaint Rex

Lysanderz

• Omae
« Reply #12 on: <01-19-16/1242:07> »
Now that someone has mentioned putting skates on an armored jacket, I want to get Combat Biking armor, put two sets of skates or skimmers on it, and Luge downhill.......

Don't judge me.

firebug

• Errata Coordinator
  • Prime Runner
« Reply #13 on: <01-19-16/1455:05> »
Now that someone has mentioned putting skates on an armored jacket, I want to get Combat Biking armor, put two sets of skates or skimmers on it, and Luge downhill.......

Don't judge me.

You'd need some better armor than that I'd think.  Full body armor...  Then you get the aformentioned jetboots and just use them as propulsion.

Lysanderz

• Omae
« Reply #14 on: <01-19-16/1631:11> »
If that's propulsion then you'd be driving head first. I guess that means you drive on your belly instead of on your back. Either way, terrifyingly amazing.