Larsine

• Newb
« Reply #30 on: <02-01-14/1047:05> »
Just looked through the cards, and there are several repeats:
41-43 are all Ares Predator V
58-60 are all Armor Jacket
61-63 are all Lined Coat
68-69 are both Renraku Sensei
101-102 are both Cybereyes [Rating 1, w/ flare compensation, image link, low-light vision, thermographic vision]
103-104 are both Cyberears, but with different ratings and additions, yet the same Essence, capacity and cost

Hope they are fixed before printed...

Critias

• Freelancer
  • Prime Runner
  • Company Elf
« Reply #31 on: <02-01-14/1124:21> »
On the Mentor Spirit front:  the intention is that she has Coyote (Raven) as a Mentor, and I'm doing what I can with the bosses to--hopefully--get an insert wedged in somewhere prior to the boxed set(s) going to print.

Wait...so mechanically, Coyote is supposed to be identical to Raven? This is news to me.

And while the SR5 core book does mention that Raven is a "close cousin" to Coyote, it doesn't exactly list in under the "similar archetype" heading. Was this why a formal Coyote mentor spirit was absent from the book? Because it was deemed too similar to Raven?
For game purposes, yes, you use the Raven Mentor Spirit stats for folks following Coyote.  The Magic chapter guy had his list of Mentors worked up ahead of time, a few of us (Bull and myself, FWIW) both just kind of assumed Coyote would be on there, and we both ended up writing fiction pieces with Coyote shaman (mine the Intro/Cover crew, Bull's the text for the Matrix chapter, IIRC).  Then, months down the line, when the final product was getting all laid out and everyone was able to really sit down and try to digest it all at once, we went "Bwuh?"

And then we chatted over the Mentor Spirit list, and figured it would be silly to list two classical Trickster archetypes (in a book where page space was fast becoming a valuable commodity), so we slapped a line onto the fluff of Raven to make it clear that Raven also worked for that other classical SR trickster totem, Coyote. 

As far as repeat cards, barring the cyberear one, I'm under the impression that's intentional.  Ares Predators and Armor Jackets/Lined Coats grow on trees, for instance, so the intent was to provide multiple cards of them, I believe.  Cards were someone else's bailiwick, but that's what I recall hearing, at least.  That said, the cyberear thing is something I can kick upstairs and try to see if we can fix it prior to things going to print, yes.

Ryo

• Ace Runner
« Reply #32 on: <02-01-14/1558:35> »
If there's still time to fix it before it goes to print, I recommend bringing up a few other strange things as well. These cards are supposed to be for quick reference, right? Well if that is the intent, some of them need a serious redesign, like the Adrenaline Pump for example. Who needs to quickly reference the essence and nuyen costs of a rating 1 adrenaline pump? Shouldn't the card actually say what an adrenaline pump does? Instead the whole card is taken up by an image of the gunslinger from 4th edition, with just the costs listed.

It should at the very least give a page number to check for the full text of the gear.

tasti man LH

• Chummer
« Reply #33 on: <02-01-14/1830:19> »
Question for those that have messed with other Intro Boxed Sets from other TRPGs: have you encountered any boxed sets that include the game's character generation rules? Stripped down or otherwise?
« Last Edit: <02-01-14/1833:25> by tasti man LH »
"I prefer the Turnabout discussions more then the Roundabout variety"

The Doomed One

• Chummer
« Reply #34 on: <02-01-14/1922:51> »
The (free) Call of Cthulhu quick start rules include full rules for character creation. Not exactly an intro box, but still. 
Pie > Cake

AJCarrington

• Global Moderator
  • Ace Runner
« Reply #35 on: <02-01-14/2134:52> »
I'm really disappointed in the cards. That was the main reason I was considering the hard copy, but the art looks really low res, and in some cases it looks like they put very little effort into it. Like the bulldog art, which is solid yellow for some reason and looks like it was ripped from a first edition source book or something. A lot of the cards provide information that's largely worthless (like the spell cards, and most of the cyberware doesn't include a description of what it does), and I find it kind of disingenuous to advertise 110 cards when there's multiple copies of several pieces of gear. Overall, it just really feels like a missed opportunity.

The one exception are the program cards for the decker programs. Those are great. Custom art, a description of what it does, all you need on one card. A deck of those would be great for a decker player to swap out and keep track of his running programs. Unfortunately, there isn't a full deck of them, just Sneak, Track,  Exploit, Baby Monitor, Data bomb, Defuse, Hammer, Encryption, Decryption, Biofeedback Filter and Browse. So, once again, disappointing.

Once I get home, I plan to compare the cards provided in the boxed set with those that have been already released as separate decks. Sounds like there are new ones (cyberware and matrix), but will summarize my findings for all.

Well, after quickly reviewing the spell cards, it is very clear that the ones provided in the box set are not the same as those released separately (actually, kinda happy about that). Apart from actual background, biggest difference is that some of the spells are grouped onto the same card for those in the boxed sets vs a separate card for each spell in the decks already released. There are some new spells included in the boxed set, but they seem to be linked to like spells (ie Chaos and Chaotic World).

My preference leans to the individual decks that have already been released as I think the presentation/graphics are better and prefer the idea of one item per card. However, I think that they are an interesting addition for the box set as they will provide an interesting "compilation" of items as part of the package.

AJCarrington

• Global Moderator
  • Ace Runner
« Reply #36 on: <02-01-14/2137:29> »
Question for those that have messed with other Intro Boxed Sets from other TRPGs: have you encountered any boxed sets that include the game's character generation rules? Stripped down or otherwise?

The PF RPG Beginner Box provides a limited set of rules for character creation...up to level 5 IIRC.

tasti man LH

• Chummer
« Reply #37 on: <02-02-14/1703:08> »
Question @Critias: was it intentional  for Coydog to not have any bound spirits?
« Last Edit: <02-02-14/1940:05> by tasti man LH »
"I prefer the Turnabout discussions more then the Roundabout variety"

Critias

• Freelancer
  • Prime Runner
  • Company Elf
« Reply #38 on: <02-02-14/1801:05> »
Yes.  It's something we just didn't want to mess with for her as a starting character.

PittsburghRPGA

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Newb
  • Catalyst Demo Team Field Agent #524
« Reply #39 on: <02-04-14/0918:24> »
Picked up the digital tool box yesterday.  Had previously used the GM screen as my desktop background.
Noticed that the 4 runners on the GM Screen are the four examples from the digital toolbox.

Nice tie in.

Looking forward to getting the printed versions of both for Welcome to the Sixth World events.  Too bad Ms Myth didn't make it onto the GM screen.

E

samoth

• Chummer
« Reply #40 on: <02-06-14/1309:05> »
I don't know much about the guys who do the Critical Glitch podcast (Criticalglitch.com) but they LOVE this supplement.

ImaginalDisc

• Omae
« Reply #41 on: <02-06-14/1814:13> »
Critias,

Is there any chance thqt the last second changes you mentioned will be reflected in the digital format?

Critias

• Freelancer
  • Prime Runner
  • Company Elf
« Reply #42 on: <02-06-14/1917:21> »
Critias,

Is there any chance thqt the last second changes you mentioned will be reflected in the digital format?
That's above my pay grade (IE, "I don't know.")  I'm not sure what all goes into putting up a new/revised pdf of something.  I'll ask when I submit my final file, though.

AJCarrington

• Global Moderator
  • Ace Runner
« Reply #43 on: <02-06-14/2002:52> »
Thanks Critias...your efforts are very much appreciated.

Critias

• Freelancer
  • Prime Runner
  • Company Elf
« Reply #44 on: <02-06-14/2107:23> »
I just do what I can for stuff with my name on it to be high-quality, is all.  But thanks.  The sentiment's appreciated, trust me.  :)