NEWS

Transportation for Characters without a vehicle

• 50 Replies

Wenlocke

• Newb
« Reply #30 on: <02-04-19/0605:38> »
Bear in mind that earlier editions DID have a mechanic for tracking vehicles' internal volume.  And they were nightmares to adjudicate.

We're better off simply leaving such questions completely to GM discretion.

I used to have the original RBB, so I remember far too well how complicated it could get if you used all the variations. I guess what I really feel like I want is something that says "This bike has side-boxes/underseat stowage" or "this car has a significantly sized boot" or "don't bother trying to fit in more than your golf-clubs."  We have it for some of the vehicles from the commentary, but its a tad hit and miss.

Ah well. Anonymous small "generic" car it is then
Nostalgia 'aint what it used to be.

Ghost Rigger

• Omae
« Reply #31 on: <02-04-19/0744:43> »
Basically what's the 5th ed equivalent of Cargo Factor
That's rather easy for the GM to fiat, isn't it? Most vehicles have a rough equivalent IRL, and while you might not have a number of vehicles lying around waiting for you to measuring their storage capacity you've probably opened a number of different trunks in your lifetime. You can easily work from memory, or hit up professor Google if you want to be sure. I imagine most medium cars could fit a human, dwarf or elf body in the back, maybe an orc if you really worked it in there. A troll body, you'd probably want a pickup for that.
After all you don't send an electrician to fix your leaking toilet.

A Guide to Gridguide

Hobbes

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Prime Runner
« Reply #32 on: <02-04-19/0802:04> »

I used to have the original RBB, so I remember far too well how complicated it could get if you used all the variations. I guess what I really feel like I want is something that says "This bike has side-boxes/underseat stowage" or "this car has a significantly sized boot" or "don't bother trying to fit in more than your golf-clubs."  We have it for some of the vehicles from the commentary, but its a tad hit and miss.

Ah well. Anonymous small "generic" car it is then

All bikes have some kind of storage.  Either Saddlebags, a small rack on the back of the seat, or under the seat.  Dirt Bikes are about the only kind of Motorized Bike I've ever seen that don't have something.  And aftermarket racks and such are common, and cheap. 

See also Increased Seating (sidecar), and Smuggling Compartment.   

Don't get dragged down in the ticky-tacky.  If you can fit your gear in a duffel bag just grab some bungee cords and carry on. 

SmilinIrish

• Omae
« Reply #33 on: <02-04-19/1312:43> »

Squatter?  "You walk out of the coffin hotel, out of Nuyen and wondering what overpass you'll be sleeping under tonight when your commlink lights up with your Fixers number.  About friggen time...."

"You've been sleeping on your girlfriends couch for the past couple weeks... well, ex-girlfriend.  And its starting to get awkward, especially last night when she brought her new boyfriend home.  Better start making some calls if you want to find your own place."

"You wake up with a jump as the Lone Star beat cop bangs on your Ford Americar's window.  Last nights takeout containers go spilling off your chest onto the floor.  The cop gives you the move along signal, no more Free Parking here chummer."

ect, ect, ect.

Starting Shadowrun characters are going to be missing something, somewhere.  Either a piece of gear, or some skill, some attribute at 1, or something.  Its only an issue if it goes on for multiple runs.  Just make sure the player knows your expectations as a GM.

I am a fan of starting characters with low resources.  I like money being the motivation to do runs.  I often take squatter at character gen, which I view as having paid for a month at a coffin motel.  In at night, you and all your stuff better be out by 7.  Can't stash stuff there, but you have a place to sleep.  After the first run, get yourself a dump of your own, or pay to share lifestyle with a teammate.  Until that low lifestyle is purchased, you'd better pay for everything you need, meals etc out of pocket. 
Speech  Thought   Matrix/Comms

Hobbes

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Prime Runner
« Reply #34 on: <02-04-19/1531:42> »
Food and shelter are solid motivators to find work.

Michael Chandra

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Prime Runner
  • Question-slicing ninja
« Reply #35 on: <02-06-19/0708:10> »
Yeah, increasing the movement multiplier by F/3, or even by an exponentially decreasing force curve would be a great way to hot-fix the movement power.

That or geographically limit the applicability. "Yeah I'm a Spirit of Man? What of it? My domain ended at 6th street. My Movement power doesn't work east of that..."
I used restrictions based on environment, obstacles, etc. So over rooftops you gained (F-1)/5, on the highway 3x(F-1)/5, on open solid terrain the full boost. But that was too powerful, and I should have halved the bonus and THEN restricted based on circumstances.

Also, I initially made my brother get Speed Reader to handle moving at those high speeds. And this was only allowed while Channeling, due to the Domain-restrictions (only Free Spirits can aspect to themselves personally, others would be restricted to tradition-based backgrounds). Plus inside small spaces (running through corridors) there were acceleration/deceleration rules and athletic-tests for corners.
How am I not part of the forum?? O_O I am both active and angry!

Ghost Rigger

• Omae
« Reply #36 on: <02-06-19/2100:54> »
Also, I initially made my brother get Speed Reader to handle moving at those high speeds.
At those sorts of speeds, I should think being able to read the street names would be the least of his concerns.
After all you don't send an electrician to fix your leaking toilet.

A Guide to Gridguide

Michael Chandra

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Prime Runner
  • Question-slicing ninja
« Reply #37 on: <02-07-19/0224:41> »
Also, I initially made my brother get Speed Reader to handle moving at those high speeds.
At those sorts of speeds, I should think being able to read the street names would be the least of his concerns.
True, but it represented being able to properly process everything at that speed here (as in, no horribly-blurred vision when going at >300km/hour).
How am I not part of the forum?? O_O I am both active and angry!

Stainless Steel Devil Rat

• Errata Coordinator
  • Prime Runner
« Reply #38 on: <02-09-19/1249:57> »
I used the falling damage rules as a game mechanic model for running into a wall or tripping at the velocities involved in tricked out Movement Power speeds.

It's pretty fatal.
RPG mechanics exist to give structure and consistency to the game world, true, but at the end of the day, you’re fighting dragons with algebra and random number generators.

kyoto kid

• Omae
  • Bushido Cowgirl
« Reply #39 on: <02-10-19/0133:26> »
...crikey, I can attest to that in RL 

The other night I was boarding the street tram to head home from the weekly Missions night at at our FLGS and before I could sit down the tram took off from the stop like it was on afterburners or something without warning, causing me to tumble down into the low floor section, where I was able to break the fall with my forehead.  Spent 3 hrs in the emergency where I got 10 stitches after several tests and still recovering.

It's not the movement which is the issue, it's that abrupt change in Δv that's the killer.

...and when I find the mage who had that spirit use movement on the tram, so help me.... >:(
Forsaken daughter is watching you

Tarislar

• Ace Runner
  • Uzi's + Fireballs .... Why I love Shadowrun!
« Reply #40 on: <02-10-19/0335:51> »
Both my Seattle magic types had Scooter clones at chargen.

Yeah, its lame but it gets the job done.

My Denver character just had a $100 bicycle that he used to get to his PT Job.

In either case if we had to travel far then I would travel in someone elses car/truck.

I don't have an issue with spirits being outside their domains now that we are past 1E-3E where Domains was a thing.

I do have an issue with using them willy nilly when the local cops are going to see it.

Manifested spirits just isn't a common thing on the city streets.

I think the way the rules work now is broken, the example from all the way back in SR1 was of a walking shaman moving like a sprinting man IIRC, not moving like a speeding car or jet fighter.

I just don't see a person walking getting past sprinting speed (18MPH?) while running on foot might get up to a fast bicycle speed (30 MPH), so maybe hauling arse on a Bike with spirit gets you up to 60 but as pointed out, your going to hate life if you wipe out.   You'd better be burning another service on Guard to protect your hoop from crashing.

kyoto kid

• Omae
  • Bushido Cowgirl
« Reply #41 on: <02-10-19/2003:03> »
...I used to be a long distance touring and racing cyclist way back in my early college days (when chrome-moly frames and sew up tyres were the big thing). Yeah saw Breaking Away, yeah I would draft big rigs on the highway outside of town (probably the closest in RL to having a spirit aid your movement).  Total rush but you pray hard there isn't a rock or some other piece of debris in the road as the rescue crew would just show up with a high pressure hose and push broom to wash the film streak you left behind off the blacktop.

One time this fellow on a motorcycle pulled alongside and paced me, I couldn't hear what he was shouting over the noise of his machine.  When we got into town and had to wait for a red light, he said at the point he pulled alongside I was doing 47 MPH.

Was also into freestyle skiing at the time (back when we were called "hot doggers" [oft considered the "scourge" of he slopes then] who used short skis for all the crazy aerial stuff, nothing like they do in the X-games or Olympics today though).

Yeah, was one of those crazy young college students back then who thought I was "invincible".
« Last Edit: <02-11-19/0150:30> by kyoto kid »
Forsaken daughter is watching you

mcv

• Chummer
« Reply #42 on: <02-11-19/0738:52> »
While public transport is probably a great option for most Seattleites, a player yesterday remarked that you probably need a SIN for it. A low rating fake SIN is probably good enough, but if you rely on it too much, it might be easily traceable.

Ixal

• Chummer
« Reply #43 on: <02-11-19/0924:23> »
Public transportation would probably be ok for getting to the meetup/run as long as you are not packing much. After all not only do you need a SIN for it, the police is probably watching public transportation more than other places in the district, even if only because the large number of people means a high quota for people checked they can charge for.

Getting away from a run or dropoff is another matter. As getaway from the run you would rely on your teammates. Even if you are 100% stealthy, public transportation still leaves traces a later investigation can turn up. And many dropoffs are in areas with no or few public transportation options. And even if all goes smooth and both you and Mr. Johnson walk away satisfied, its still a bad idea to wait all alone at a bus stop with a pocket full of credsticks.

And if you live in the barrens there is no public transportation anyway except for some rather costly armored cabs.

Shinobi Killfist

• Prime Runner
« Reply #44 on: <02-11-19/1405:48> »

I think the way the rules work now is broken, the example from all the way back in SR1 was of a walking shaman moving like a sprinting man IIRC, not moving like a speeding car or jet fighter.

I just don't see a person walking getting past sprinting speed (18MPH?) while running on foot might get up to a fast bicycle speed (30 MPH), so maybe hauling arse on a Bike with spirit gets you up to 60 but as pointed out, your going to hate life if you wipe out.   You'd better be burning another service on Guard to protect your hoop from crashing.

The mechanics of summing worked differently before which limited the force people summoned on the regular a lot more. But, I think the power worked the same mechanically. But then again in 2e a street sam ran at 60 MPH, so it wasn't as stand out.  I'm not sure it always worked on vehicles though I only have 3e within reach and it just said multiplying or dividing the subjects movement rate.  My memory says yes, though I guess technically you could say vehicles have a speed not a movement rate. Assuming the concept of force is a sacred cow that can't be slain, if they come out with a 6e(I think they should the game needs fixes and is bloated beyond belief) if similar mechanics are used standard summoning should be vs forrcex2.