NEWS

Howling Shadow Errata

• 38 Replies

Jack_Spade

• Prime Runner
« on: <05-26-16/0431:26> »
Dum-di-dum

I like the book, but even at a first glance I found some small errors already:

- For one thing, using the same illustrations on p.84 and 110, resp. 90 and 108 seems like a placeholder oversight

- p.116 Anarch "After ny first encounter"

- p.41 I can't help but think giving the elephant a run multiplier of 18 was not really intended - elephants outrunning cheetahs without effort doesn't seem to be right ;D
« Last Edit: <05-26-16/0456:14> by Jack_Spade »
talk think matrix

To strive, to seek, to find and not to yield
Revenant Kynos Isaint Rex

Banshee

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Ace Runner
« Reply #1 on: <05-26-16/1012:39> »
ScytheKnight ... if you have such vehement hatred, why do you even consider yourself part of the community?

Does it really have to be spelled out in excruciating detail that purchase of a "standard" pet would be a few hundred nuyen ... maybe a thousand or two for something exotic ... and that upkeep would be a minor factor to lifestyle cost???

C'mon now ... really? That's like asking why doesn't armor come in sizes ... keep it simple and just have fun it is a game after all
Robert "Banshee" Volbrecht
Freelancer & FAQ Committee member
Former RPG Lead Agent
Catalyst Demo Team

AJCarrington

• Global Moderator
  • Ace Runner
« Reply #2 on: <05-26-16/1040:49> »
The post from ScytheKnight has been removed, pending further review.

SR Mod

ScytheKnight

• Ace Runner
« Reply #3 on: <05-26-16/1040:59> »
This isn't hatetred... this is straw that broke the camel's back frustration.

A for guessing, how in the hell would I know? This is the fist game I've GMed and I have no prior edition knowledge or books to fall back on.

The fact that they could dedicate so much to training, equipping and augmenting a pet, but nothing on acquiring or maintaining one is... it's simply pants on head stupid,it makes no sense and really is an example of just how much of a mess this current system is.
« Last Edit: <05-26-16/1042:30> by ScytheKnight »
From To<<Matrix message>>
"Speech"
Thoughts
Astral
Mentor

adzling

« Reply #4 on: <05-26-16/1530:49> »
While I didn't see Scythe's initial post that got deleted I can empathize with his being fed up with the shoddy editing work at Catalyst that ends up with product that needs to be extensively fixed on day one.

It's been years since they said anything publicly about their poor work/ process and they haven't bothered to update or issue any new errata in over a year, maybe two years now?

That's shows a level of disrespect and lack of care towards their loyal customers that is beyond comprehension.

odd

• Omae
« Reply #5 on: <05-26-16/1539:22> »
He was ... upset... that there wasn't a table with costs and availability for said pets if I remember right.

Banshee

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Ace Runner
« Reply #6 on: <05-26-16/1551:53> »
yep, it's a legitimate concern to be upset when a product doesn't provide what you want or expect ... and yes the product line ... while improving slowly ... has had it's issues

it is another thing entirely to drop the f-bomb and call people morons in a public forum ... especially when it can be fixed with about 5 minutes of research and a  decision by the GM, and yes I know CGL could have put forth the same effort and included it in the first place. However, considering how developing and maintaining a game line like Shadowrun works and how little return on investment there is from a company point of view, I for one am extremely happy we are still able to get new material at all.
Robert "Banshee" Volbrecht
Freelancer & FAQ Committee member
Former RPG Lead Agent
Catalyst Demo Team

Sterling

• Omae
  • Dragged in by the credstick
« Reply #7 on: <05-26-16/1617:14> »
Ahem.

So...errata?

Page 102, "no two see leeches look alike.

Also, a query over information on p. 59, when discussing Demon Rats:

"The gamma exhibits regenerative abilities similar to shifter species."

Does this have any bearing on the potential errata for shifters, or should the final four words in the sentence be disregarded?
"His name is Sterling. He’s an ex-pat Brit making a living as a fixer and a hacker in Metropole. He’s a rare blend of upstanding and fun...(so) listen to his experience."
>>Data Trails, p.82

&#24525;

« Reply #8 on: <05-26-16/2033:49> »
However, considering how developing and maintaining a game line like Shadowrun works and how little return on investment there is from a company point of view, I for one am extremely happy we are still able to get new material at all.
I'd trade a year or two of new material for errata.

Also there is a blank square on the "back" of the book. I'm not sure if it's something on my end, but there probably should be some image in that spot.

BrysenBlue

• Newb
« Reply #9 on: <05-27-16/0016:30> »
So, really what we need is a table (simple enough) from Catalyst that looks something like this...

Critter Name | Nuyen | Availability | Maintenance
Combat Giraffe | 5000Y | 14F | +20% to lifestyle cost or High+

Maybe throw in training cost there too, but that is probably already covered in SR5 under hiring folks for specific skills.

We know the Catalyst employees read the forum so how do we inform them?

I've written "professional" RPG material myself in the past and so I can say with some confidence that we should be able to get an official list of prices within a few hours. Its hardly even a lazy afternoon's work.
« Last Edit: <05-27-16/0026:50> by BrysenBlue »

&#24525;

« Reply #10 on: <05-27-16/0039:27> »
we should be able to get an official list of prices within a few hours. Its hardly even a lazy afternoon's work.

Medicineman

• Ace Runner
« Reply #11 on: <05-27-16/0133:03> »
So, really what we need is a table (simple enough) from Catalyst that looks something like this...

Critter Name | Nuyen | Availability | Maintenance
Combat Giraffe | 5000Y | 14F | +20% to lifestyle cost or High+

Maybe throw in training cost there too, but that is probably already covered in SR5 under hiring folks for specific skills.

We know the Catalyst employees read the forum so how do we inform them?

I've written "professional" RPG material myself in the past and so I can say with some confidence that we should be able to get an official list of prices within a few hours. Its hardly even a lazy afternoon's work.

the easiest Way would be to copy & paste the list from 4A's Ed Running Wild.
The Prices were pretty High (iirc) so they should fit 5th's Edition pretty much

HokaHey
Medicineman
http://english.bouletcorp.com/2013/08/02/the-long-journey/
---------------------------------------------------
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h1V7fi5IqYw
---------------------------------------------------
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-RYlAPjyNm8

Nefasine

• Newb
« Reply #12 on: <05-27-16/0944:13> »
While I understand that the cost and maintenance of a critter tied to lifestyle costs makes sense, it will present a number of problems
firstly, what happens with shared households where the lifestyle cost is shared by guests, is it added to the total or the individual?
Secondarily, alot of similarities can be seen between maintenance of critters and maintenance of other gear; while yes the cost of cleaning a gun or armor (Bullet holes in the berwick suit may be expensive though) is negligible; what about maintenance of cars or drones. I would imagine a high tech combat drone would need just as much maintenance as a combat critter (after all the high cost of things like helicopters and jets is the maintenance). from my quick flick through, it seems critters can be an alternative to drones for riggers (which is a cool idea) but may become prohibitively expensive if tied to lifestyle; alternatively it can be quite cheap, if the character lives in a lower lifestyle, after all the critters should provide a excellent form of defense.

On another note
A number of critters have a dash for certain characteristics, does this mean they don't have those attributes or is that meant to read as 0
« Last Edit: <05-27-16/1010:54> by Nefasine »
The world is as I say it is

BrysenBlue

• Newb
« Reply #13 on: <05-27-16/1957:32> »
While I understand that the cost and maintenance of a critter tied to lifestyle costs makes sense, it will present a number of problems
firstly, what happens with shared households where the lifestyle cost is shared by guests, is it added to the total or the individual?

I'd imagine so. Maybe not in the case of cats or dogs (who probably wouldn't have an additional cost) but if you need a Combat Giraffe pen that needs regular maintenance and cleaning, it probably would.

Secondarily, alot of similarities can be seen between maintenance of critters and maintenance of other gear; while yes the cost of cleaning a gun or armor (Bullet holes in the berwick suit may be expensive though) is negligible; what about maintenance of cars or drones. I would imagine a high tech combat drone would need just as much maintenance as a combat critter (after all the high cost of things like helicopters and jets is the maintenance). from my quick flick through, it seems critters can be an alternative to drones for riggers (which is a cool idea) but may become prohibitively expensive if tied to lifestyle; alternatively it can be quite cheap, if the character lives in a lower lifestyle, after all the critters should provide a excellent form of defense.

I would liken it to buying a garage. If you have a VTOL you need a large garage/hangar to keep it. If shared, everyone has to pay for that (since its part of the lifestyle cost). It would be the same thing.

Of course, if three people are sharing a house and one guy goes out and buys a Battle Beaver and the other two think he is a fucktard, they can just say "We're not paying for that."  Then it would be up to the pet's owner to cover the additional charges when it damages the property or keeps turning their chairs into nunchaku.

So, where is the person who wrote this book?

Can someone message them and notify them towards this thread so we can discuss things please.

On another note
A number of critters have a dash for certain characteristics, does this mean they don't have those attributes or is that meant to read as 0

Dash typically means "null" which means they cannot make rolls connected to that stat, rather than 0 which just means their dice pool.

&#24525;

« Reply #14 on: <05-27-16/2025:17> »
So, where is the person who wrote this book?

Can someone message them and notify them towards this thread so we can discuss things please.
Have fun with that. There's a lot of freelancing done with CGL. As far as writers go:

Kevin Czamecki
Patrick Goodman
Olivier Gagnon
Jason M. Hardy
Alexander Kadar
Adam Large
Philip A. Lee
Chris Mastey
Aaron Pavao
Scott Schletz
Amy Veeres &
CZ Wright

Note that this doesn't account for playtesting, proofing, or [*sparkles*] line editing [/*sparkles*]