NEWS

GENCON 2012!!! Its on!

• 87 Replies

Tacitus05

• Newb
« on: <05-11-12/0658:06> »
Oh I am sooo ready for Gencon..I spent maybe 50-75% of my time playing CMPs and i jsut saw, new CMPS and almsot all the SRMs to play! and this year bringing the wife to play. I enjoyed every minute last year, but this year I know better than to try to crash games with generic tickets, totally buying mine ahead of time

FastJack

• Administrator
  • Prime Runner
  • Kids these days...
« Reply #1 on: <05-11-12/0811:38> »
Alas, I will not be attending this year (unless I win the Powerball between now and then. And if I do...  8))

CanRay

• Freelancer
  • Mr. Johnson
  • Spouter of Random Words
« Reply #2 on: <05-11-12/2359:04> »
I'll be there.
Si vis pacem, para bellum

#ThisTaserGoesTo11

crowofpyke

• Newb
« Reply #3 on: <05-15-12/1553:37> »
I will be there.  I plan to play the "Land Of Promise" 4 part CMP group.  Mostly because the last one in that series, "The Hung Over", fits my character really well.

I don't think I will have time for the other 4 part CMP group, the "London Calling" series.

Critias

• Freelancer
  • Prime Runner
  • Company Elf
« Reply #4 on: <05-16-12/1125:19> »
I will be there.  I plan to play the "Land Of Promise" 4 part CMP group.
;D

Tackle 'em in order if you can (or, at any rate, get into "Hopping the Fence" first, if possible), though it's not strictly necessary I think they'll be more fun that way.  Have a blast!  I'm looking forward to hearing what folks think of 'em.

Tacitus05

• Newb
« Reply #5 on: <05-21-12/0036:50> »
Alas..i was six hours too late, everythign Shadowrun was pretty much already booked...kidna sad there was so much demand, was really looking to get into some CMPs and SRMs and get my friends more into shadowrun as well.

Dr. Meatgrinder

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Omae
  • CDT Field Agent (#483)
« Reply #6 on: <05-21-12/0957:18> »
Yeah, I'm always amazed how quickly events sell out.  I think Catalyst could offer twice the number of events and they would still sell out.  But Bull would have to perform at least a few "friendly extractions" to find enough GMs to run all those tables...or find a way to plug in existing GMs to do nothing else the entire con.  ::)

You might check the Gen Con registration site from time to time during the prereg period (until like June 20, I think).  This year, they're allowing event ticket returns online, so you might find a couple of tickets as people's schedules align.  And there's the time-honored tradition of showing up with generics.  The table sells for 6, but most GMs will take a 7th player, and there's always the chance that someone doesn't show (or oversleeps the 0800 slot).  I think last year's policy was that unanimous approval of the table was required to take an 8th player, since an 8-player table tends to take longer and allow less individual character interaction.  The generic route is a crapshoot, but if it's the only option...

You could also try asking a GM to run a game at an empty table, assuming you can find a spare GM, spare table, and have/accept enough players to do it.  You may have to pay generics as if the event were scheduled; I'm not entirely sure how the con would want that handled in an allocated space.  Check with the room captain at the con if you want to try this, or maybe Bull has some insight on this.  And I'd try to be flexible with the particular mission for this, since the GM you're grabbing may only have a couple prepped.  It's a little more legwork, but it might be worth a shot.
Guiding principle for game balance:  Players avoid underpowered stuff and flock to overpowered stuff.
Missions Freelancer (SRM 04-10 Romero & Juliette, SRM 05-01 Chasin' the Wind, SRM 06-06 Falling Angels, PM-02 A Holy Piece of Wetwork)

Mara

• Ace Runner
« Reply #7 on: <05-21-12/1038:50> »
other hope: That people don't show up, and you can use generics...The ONLY event that is not sold out as I write this is Burn...and it
is really making me debate competing the Grand Melee just to play in a Mission, or to take my chances and hope for an open slot to materialize due to someone not showing up...

CanRay

• Freelancer
  • Mr. Johnson
« Reply #8 on: <05-21-12/1223:49> »
*Sighs*  Well, shows how quickly people are willing to sign up for my adventure...

#ThisTaserGoesTo11

Bull

• Ace Runner
  • Crotchety Old Ork Decker
« Reply #9 on: <05-21-12/1812:16> »
Honestly, generics is a good way to go.  Most tables almost always end up with a spot or two open, and as Fringe mentions, we have an unofficial, unannounced policy to allow a 7th player into the game if everything is full.  8 is possible, but...  We try and avoid that, as 7 already keeps things crowded.  And it requires both a GM willing to run for that many AND approval from everyone already at the table.  (Generics are 1st come, first served)

bull

KarmaInferno

• Ace Runner
  • Armor Stacking Cheese Monkey
« Reply #10 on: <05-21-12/2359:12> »
I remember showing up to a table with like 9 people.

I went to find something else to play, despite having an actual ticket for the event.

There was no way I was going to subject that poor GM to more.

-k

All4BigGuns

• Prime Runner
« Reply #11 on: <05-22-12/0006:47> »
I remember showing up to a table with like 9 people.

I went to find something else to play, despite having an actual ticket for the event.

There was no way I was going to subject that poor GM to more.

-k

I would have, but then, I want to try out a game (playing, not running) that has 10 to 15 players. Our group is too small to manage that.  :'(
(SR5) Homebrew Archetypes

Tangled Currents (Persistent): 33 Karma, 60,000 nuyen

CanRay

• Freelancer
  • Mr. Johnson
« Reply #12 on: <05-22-12/0035:19> »
Just got to figure out how many Generic Tickets to buy...

#ThisTaserGoesTo11

Critias

• Freelancer
  • Prime Runner
  • Company Elf
« Reply #13 on: <05-22-12/0042:49> »
If it helps any, remember that they're returnable for credit towards future badges/tickets/whatever.  So if you end up buying too many, you can just turn 'em back in to help out next year. 

Mara

• Ace Runner
« Reply #14 on: <05-22-12/0057:34> »
If it helps any, remember that they're returnable for credit towards future badges/tickets/whatever.  So if you end up buying too many, you can just turn 'em back in to help out next year.

Wow...that's new...it used to be generics were non-refundable.