NEWS

Is Quickening Metamagic a trap?

• 47 Replies

Tym Jalynsfein

• Chummer
« Reply #30 on: <03-07-17/1818:46> »
Our Combat Mage had all his Attributes Quickened once the campaign got really going. With Stats of 8-10 in everything, and an Initiative that was average in the Mid 40's, well, lets just say he was "Blindingly " fast. No, he could not sneak to save his life, but the quickened spells were Cast at such a High Force, typical Background counts in the campaign never bothered him all that much, and those spells were never dispelled, by ward or opposition mages. Of course, he was pretty damned easy to find, and it did not really keep him from getting the snot kicked out of him... Missiles through the bedroom window whilst asleep tend to do really bad things to a person in their underwear. :)
« Last Edit: <03-07-17/1820:54> by Tym Jalynsfein »
The problem with defending the purity of the English language is that English is about as pure as a cribhouse whore. We don't just borrow words; on occasion, English has pursued other languages down alleyways to beat them unconscious and rifle their pockets for new vocabulary. - James. D. Nicoll

Hobbes

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Prime Runner
« Reply #31 on: <03-07-17/1932:49> »
It does simplify the planning stage considerably when the mage kicks everything off with a Ball lightning on the front door.

Tym Jalynsfein

• Chummer
« Reply #32 on: <03-08-17/1136:51> »
It does simplify the planning stage considerably when the mage kicks everything off with a Ball lightning on the front door.

Indeed it does... At Force 12...
The problem with defending the purity of the English language is that English is about as pure as a cribhouse whore. We don't just borrow words; on occasion, English has pursued other languages down alleyways to beat them unconscious and rifle their pockets for new vocabulary. - James. D. Nicoll

RowanTheFox

• Omae
« Reply #33 on: <03-08-17/1617:16> »

Indeed it does... At Force 12...

My shaman, before she went NPC, once took out a room full of Humanis with a single fireball spell. MWAHAHAHA
It is better to be crazy and know it, than to be sane and have one's doubts.

"Nothing is wrong if no one can stop you."

Remember, you're only a genius when they need you. The rest of the time you're just an asshole.

Well, drek. Looks like Timmy fell into the Dissonance Well again.

Lormyr

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Omae
« Reply #34 on: <03-15-18/1023:22> »
(Thread necro, sorry. A fun topic for me though, had to reply.)

Quickening is probably the single most powerful option in the game due to the breadth of spells available. My missions MysAd is over 800 karma now, and runs about 20 quickened spells on himself. It makes the character extremely resilient to just about everything, but also makes any form of stealth next to impossible. When I get a good GM at tables, they also make sure to harass me over license issues with law enforcement when I walk around visible or unmasked. Proper use of astral security and mana barriers also really limits the character when stealth or subtlety is necessary.

Buying hits is essential for maintaining any semblance of sanity balance wise in my opinion.
"TL:DR 6e's reduction of meaningful choices is akin to forcing everyone to wear training wheels. Now it's just becomes a bunch of toddlers riding around on tricycles they can't fall off of." - Adzling

PiXeL01

• Errata Team
  • Ace Runner
  • Sheltering Orks in Osaka
« Reply #35 on: <03-15-18/1827:25> »
Pressing against and through a barrier does NOT alert the owner. It was a mistake and deleted In the errata for SG
If Tom Brady’s a Spike Baby, what does that make Brees and Rodgers?

Kiirnodel

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Ace Runner
« Reply #36 on: <03-16-18/0527:56> »
Pressing through may have been errata'd, but it wasn't a mistake when it was written. The original writing is exactly how pressing through operated in the previous edition. And prior to 4th edition, there was no way to get through a barrier without attacking it.

Barriers being a thing that actually stops magic is kind of the point. I think it is a mistake for there to be an easy way to just side-step them, which they've now opened up with that errata...

Marcus

• Prime Runner
  • Success always demands a greater effort.
« Reply #37 on: <03-16-18/0830:28> »
Will someone please hit this thread with a shovel put it back to rest.
It was silly to begin with, of course there are risks when you quicken. It's stupid crazy strong, so there need to be solid checks on it.

If you wanna debate the errata go do it the errata forum, where it might make some kind of difference.
*Play-by-Post color guide*
Thinking
com
speaking

Mirikon

• Prime Runner
  • "Everybody lies." --House
« Reply #38 on: <03-17-18/0239:08> »
Mana barriers being a problem and you glowing like a christmas tree on the astral were the only checks on quickened spells before. As Kiir said, Quickening is insanely powerful if you use it right. But that comes with the same risks as Heavy Milspec armor or assault cannons. It just screams, "HEY, CORPSEC! PAY EXTRA SPECIAL ATTENTION TO ME!"
Greataxe - Apply directly to source of problem, repeat as needed.

My Characters

Marcus

• Prime Runner
« Reply #39 on: <03-17-18/0614:52> »
Mana barriers being a problem and you glowing like a christmas tree on the astral were the only checks on quickened spells before. As Kiir said, Quickening is insanely powerful if you use it right. But that comes with the same risks as Heavy Milspec armor or assault cannons. It just screams, "HEY, CORPSEC! PAY EXTRA SPECIAL ATTENTION TO ME!"
As anyone who's had their quicken'ed spells dispelled knows it those are not the only checks. Losing karma Sucks, i don't care how much drain damage that mage took.
Thinking
com
speaking

Mirikon

• Prime Runner
  • "Everybody lies." --House
« Reply #40 on: <03-18-18/0054:55> »
As anyone who's had their quicken'ed spells dispelled knows it those are not the only checks. Losing karma Sucks, i don't care how much drain damage that mage took.
And that's part of the price you pay for getting incredibly powerful abilities.
Greataxe - Apply directly to source of problem, repeat as needed.

My Characters

Kiirnodel

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Ace Runner
« Reply #41 on: <03-18-18/0512:20> »

And you're just complaining about losing that minimal karma based on what you chose to spend to protect your quickening. Back in 4th edition, Quickened spells cost karma equal to the Force PLUS extra to make it harder to dispell. These things are being made easier and cheaper for to do and people still complain that they can't just walk through barriers with them like they aren't there. Talk about being pampered...

Marcus

• Prime Runner
« Reply #42 on: <03-18-18/0707:01> »
And you're just complaining about losing that minimal karma based on what you chose to spend to protect your quickening. Back in 4th edition, Quickened spells cost karma equal to the Force PLUS extra to make it harder to dispell. These things are being made easier and cheaper for to do and people still complain that they can't just walk through barriers with them like they aren't there. Talk about being pampered...

*Sigh* Let me put it together for you. Cause looks like ya'll missed the point utterly.

It was silly to begin with, of course there are risks when you quicken. It's stupid crazy strong, so there need to be solid checks on it.

My reply

So yes my point is as I said from the beginning, quickening is crazy strong and needs solid checks on it. If you're going to list the risks of quickening then list the real risk.

Any questions?

So stop putting words in my mouth, Kiir, and read the thread.
Thinking
com
speaking

Kiirnodel

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Ace Runner
« Reply #43 on: <03-19-18/0604:46> »
I suppose you'll have to excuse my assumption that the comment about losing karma on quickened spells being dispelled was a complaint about how you should be able to keep your quickened spells?

Were you not lamenting about losing the minimum 1 karma on a quickened spell? That's the only thing I attributed to you, Marcus. You said "Losing karma sucks, [etc]" to which I replied "[yeah, and you're just talking about the amount it costs now]" And then continued on the stereotypical 'back in my day' rant of how it used to cost a bunch more karma. And man, people complain more about it now for some reason. (Seriously, I don't remember any heated debates back before 5th edition about how it is unfair that bypassing a barrier requires two extra metamagics)

Honestly, based on your apparent frustration with my comments, and your previous commentary that quickening is overpowered and should have more checks to keep it reigned in, I am completely lost on what your stance is. I was trying to say that barriers should be one of the checks in place to keep quickening in check...

Marcus

• Prime Runner
« Reply #44 on: <03-19-18/0747:24> »
Honestly, based on your apparent frustration with my comments, and your previous commentary that quickening is overpowered and should have more checks to keep it reigned in, I am completely lost on what your stance is. I was trying to say that barriers should be one of the checks in place to keep quickening in check...

Which in fact is also my position.
Thinking
com
speaking