NEWS

Unarmed Combat Math

• 7 Replies

imthedci

• Newb
  • Usually straying off topic
« on: <12-12-19/1207:29> »
Just want to make sure I have this right since our first combat is/may be next session.

Normal unarmed DV is (Str/2)(and Stun, not Physical I think).

with dermal deposits that becomes DV = (Str/2) +1 P.

with hardening (and Str above 7) that becomes DV = 4 + 1 P.

lastly, with bone density rating 4 that becomes DV = 4 + 1 + 2 P (total DV = 7P)

That's it. I just want to make sure that a) I have the math right and 2) that dermal deposits, hardening, and bone density mods stack with each other.

Thanks for the help. ^_^

Stainless Steel Devil Rat

• Errata Coordinator
  • Prime Runner
« Reply #1 on: <12-12-19/1210:30> »
That's it. I just want to make sure that a) I have the math right and 2) that dermal deposits, hardening, and bone density mods stack with each other.

There's nothing saying they do stack.  There's nothing saying they don't stack.

So, up to you.  (I'd recommend not letting them stack though- unarmed DVs get even worse out of balance if you let mods stack)

Edit:  Note that you included hardening, which is only for cyberlimbs.  the above is all still true, but in the case of cyberlimbs there's IMO a particuarly weak case for things like dermal deposits and bone lacing to stack with cyberlimbs.
« Last Edit: <12-12-19/1213:12> by Stainless Steel Devil Rat »
RPG mechanics exist to give structure and consistency to the game world, true, but at the end of the day, you’re fighting dragons with algebra and random number generators.

Lormyr

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Omae
« Reply #2 on: <12-12-19/1230:03> »
Much like 5ed, the book specifically states what does not stack, which strongly implies that everything else does stack.
"TL:DR 6e's reduction of meaningful choices is akin to forcing everyone to wear training wheels. Now it's just becomes a bunch of toddlers riding around on tricycles they can't fall off of." - Adzling

• Errata Coordinator
  • Prime Runner
« Reply #3 on: <12-12-19/1238:33> »
Much like 5ed, the book specifically states what does not stack, which strongly implies that everything else does stack.

True.  But common sense says that your skin and your bones don't extend around and into a cyberlimb.

And anyway, like I said the main reason I'd suggest not letting unarmed mods stack is unarmed is notoriously broken if you let them stack. So, don't.  There's precious few reasons to go "other than unarmed" in close combat as-is without (needlessly) exacerbating it.
RPG mechanics exist to give structure and consistency to the game world, true, but at the end of the day, you’re fighting dragons with algebra and random number generators.

Lormyr

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Omae
« Reply #4 on: <12-12-19/1241:18> »
True.  But common sense says that your skin and your bones don't extend around and into a cyberlimb.

I'm inclined to agree.
"TL:DR 6e's reduction of meaningful choices is akin to forcing everyone to wear training wheels. Now it's just becomes a bunch of toddlers riding around on tricycles they can't fall off of." - Adzling

imthedci

• Newb
  • Usually straying off topic
« Reply #5 on: <12-12-19/1357:45> »
Ok, so I gotta ditch the Hardening unless I take a cyberarm (which I neither can afford nor want). No problem. I can use the extra nuyen anyways.

Thanks for the help.
Thanks for the help. ^_^

MercilessMing

• Omae
« Reply #6 on: <12-12-19/1741:55> »
Nope, hardening can be taken without a cyberlimb.  It costs .1 essence.  When using cyber implant melee weapons, you're supposed to give up your unarmed combat damage bonuses and just use the weapon's stats, but really its up to your table.

• Errata Coordinator
  • Prime Runner
« Reply #7 on: <12-12-19/1802:47> »
Nope, hardening can be taken without a cyberlimb.  It costs .1 essence.  When using cyber implant melee weapons, you're supposed to give up your unarmed combat damage bonuses and just use the weapon's stats, but really its up to your table.

Well, yes I hadn't looked at it that way, but I suppose you could read it as being an implant weapon rather than a cyberlimb modification.

Of course reading it as an implant weapon though, then dermal armor and bone lacing certainly won't apply.  Bonuses to S/2 can't apply to a static DV of 3P or 4P.
« Last Edit: <12-12-19/1827:56> by Stainless Steel Devil Rat »