NEWS

Attributes of Sprites

• 2 Replies

Pericles

• Newb
« on: <03-18-18/1325:56> »
I've noticed a fair amount of disagreement on how to calculate sprites' attributes. A lot of people (and even Chummer) calculate them based off of their corresponding Matrix attributes. For example, a level 6 Data sprite would have LOG of 10, because their Data Processing is Level +4.  What confuses me about this is that the example on pg. 254 of the SR5 core book makes it pretty clear that their attributes are equal to their level. In the example Netta compiles a level 3 Courier sprite, which she then has do a Matrix Perception test. . The text says the sprite rolls 6 dice on that test.  If the sprite’s INT were based off of it's Sleaze, it would roll 9 dice. 3 for Computer, +6 for INT. Since it rolls 6 dice, it seems pretty clear that the sprite’s INT is equal to its level. 
So where does the confusion come from?  Have some folks not seen the example? Or is there some errata I'm unaware of?
« Last Edit: <03-18-18/1357:21> by Pericles »

firebug

• Errata Coordinator
  • Prime Runner
  • Scraping the bottom of the Resonance Barrel
« Reply #1 on: <03-18-18/1406:39> »
I think people assume sprites must work like TMs (where their ASDF are based directly on their mental attributes), and then decide "it must work in reverse!" without trying to draw the same conclusion you do from the example.

I can't fault them, as it doesn't say anywhere--  The example references Hacking + Resonance, but sprites have Resonance listed in their stat block, and the Matrix Perception test done doesn't spell out what attributes are used.  Also, some people probably feel "The examples in the books are wrong a lot anyways, and TMs need the buff!" and go with whatever is more powerful.

You're definitely right though, a sprite would use its Level in place of any mental attributes whenever one is needed.  That also is why all of their Initiative scores are equal to their Data Processing + Level, because every sprite has Intuition equal to its Level.
« Last Edit: <03-18-18/1409:03> by firebug »
I'm Madpath Moth on reddit (and other sites).  Feel free to PM me errata questions!
Jeeze.  It would almost sound stupid until you realize we're talking about an immortal elf clown sword fighting a dragon ghost in a mall.

Pericles

• Newb
« Reply #2 on: <03-18-18/1900:21> »
I agree that they need the buff, lol.